Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I just picked up a couple of boxes of these and was wondering if any of you have any loads for this combination. The box says 8.5” twist or faster, which I was unaware of when I purchased the bullets from Midway. Believe my rifle has a 1-9” twist. Should I be alright here?

GB1

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just tried loading a few of these up and looks like a big fat no-go. I’ll be selling the remaining 194 bullets if anyone wants them. Please send a pm if you’re interested.

$100 shipped for one unopened box and the other with 94 remaining bullets out of 100.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
my 280AI shoots handloaded 162 ELD-X great

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Just tried loading a few of these up and looks like a big fat no-go. I’ll be selling the remaining 194 bullets if anyone wants them. Please send a pm if you’re interested.

$100 shipped for one unopened box and the other with 94 remaining bullets out of 100.

What happened when you shot them?

My 9tw shoots 180 ELD-M/180 & 184gr. Berger Hybrids, friends 9tw shoots 190gr. A-Tips fine.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How about a little background? Just exactly makes them "big fat no-go?" COAL too long for the magazine/chamber? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

You could tell that in 6 rounds?

With an 8.5 twist you may not realize the full BC potential but that does not mean they won't shoot well.

An 8 twist 280ai with a 175 ELD-X does fine for accuracy as will an 8.5.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Axtell

You could tell that in 6 rounds?

With an 8.5 twist you may not realize the full BC potential but that does not mean they won't shoot well.

An 8 twist 280ai with a 175 ELD-X does fine for accuracy as will an 8.5.

Yeah, I think it's only like a couple of percent, nothing to fret over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The mag box length (3.300”) seating to SAAMI specs, heavy powder compression to the point of deforming bullet tips (not the plastic tip, but the jacket immediately behind the plastic tip).

Just too much bullet and not enough case capacity given my mag box limitations is the crux of the issue.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The mag box length (3.300”) seating to SAAMI specs, heavy powder compression to the point of deforming bullet tips (not the plastic tip, but the jacket immediately behind the plastic tip).

Just too much bullet and not enough case capacity given my mag box limitations is the crux of the issue.

My brothers Kimber would be the same. Not enough mag space with the longer bullets.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might need to change out your bullet seating (tip, plug, tool.) VLD This will have a better contact to the end of your bullet.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That may help, but when you see how much bullet is stuffed into the case verses outside of the case I start to think that it’s just not meant to be. That 175 ELD-X is a looooong bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Kimber Montucky 84L,is an exceptionally POOR 280AI platform,due mechanics. The COAL is simply horrid,which derails the train. At BEST on an '06 length case,it makes a fair to middlin' 6-06 Donor. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

RPM makes zero fhuqks,if it won't meld COAL. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Simply roll to a 700 and you reap nearly 3.700" COAL,which grants .838 BC magfed Smooches,with room to chase lands. Montucky max COAL illustrated,ala Six Twat-Six. Hint.

Same .838 BC 280 SALAMI Smooches pictured above,in OEM 700 box for conversation and because I have a "few". Hint.

Now connect 84L .838 BC dots and reap a Seven Times Fifty-Seven Mouser Improved and keep the shank/boat tail juncture in a happy place,inside the 3.325" trite Montucky 84L OEM confines. Hint.

IF you actually fhuqking shoot,such things are KNOWN,welllllllllllll before the first shot or boolit purchase. Hint.

You ladies REALLY should be taking fhuqking notes,prior to purchase. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Just sayin'....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So, the 7x57 Imp is nested about perfect for the Kimber. Why wouldn't the 284 Win work real well on the same rifle? I get I'd lose a round of capacity, but otherwise?

Just thinking Lapua brass is pretty easy to find in the 284.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The nuances of CRF and it's geometry,don't play NEARLY as nice as PF do,when skirting the mainstream. 284 Win Dummies felt like a HotDog "sliding" past a 40-grit sleeping bag,only to hit a wall dead headed. Hint.(grin)

It's ALL about connecting mechanical dots,less getting greedy in ANY direction. Hint.

Though I'm guilty of multiple 6-284's,25-284's and Vanilla 284's on PF Big Green's. Hint..............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The nuances of CRF and it's geometry,don't play NEARLY as nice as PF do,when skirting the mainstream. 284 Win Dummies felt like a HotDog "sliding" past a 40-grit sleeping bag,only to hit a wall dead headed. Hint.(grin)

It's ALL about connecting mechanical dots,less getting greedy in ANY direction. Hint.

Though I'm guilty of multiple 6-284's,25-284's and Vanilla 284's on PF Big Green's. Hint..............(grin)

Gotcha, makes sense. I was just thinking when you posted the 7mm Mauser Improved, the easy would be the 284 would be nearly the same case space, but if feeding sucks then X57 would be slick as well..

Semper Fi
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Stick,

That is useful information packed in a mildly dickheadish package. I’m glad to see you trying. I think the 7x57 Ack is an interesting concept, but I don’t think I’ll be throwing the baby out with the bath water yet.

I’m not so concerned about velocity gains over a standard 280 and my rifle does shoot some lighter bullets very well, up to a 150 Sierra. I don’t feel the need to shoot the heaviest bullet out there, but I will still be looking for a little heavier weight and constructed bullet to take on elk duty, as that’s the role the rifle was intended to fill.

I’ve been using a 338F Montana for that (in my short, burgeoning elk hunting career) and wanted something with just a little more poke. Having said that, I don’t feel undergunned with the Fed. I still intend to keep shots reasonable and this 280 will still do what I bought it for, carry well and shoot as far as I need it to, even if I have to settle for a 160 grain Accubond or some similar ilk. Now if only Nosler and others can get some bullets on the market.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JawFree,

Gents that shoot,don't say the STUPID schit you do,nor ask those STUPID questions. Hint.

Mechanics ain't subjective and bullets simply matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to your cud chewing chagrin. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Okay stick. Go back to being a lonely miserable old hobbit. Thanks for playing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JawFree,

Simply use your Imagination,to Pretend,that you didn't start this this Thread...or source what everyone but you knew,prior to your Dumbfhuqktitude.

You Sloppy Piece Of CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jeffrey,

In your situation with the 84L, assuming you're just shooting moderate distances and don't wish to change chambering, you'd be better off with the medium weight bullets such as 140 to 160 grains. The longer, heavier high bc bullets are better for shooting longer distances in a longer magazine.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 07/20/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.