Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Torqued
For an inexpensive knife it's hard to beat a Mora.
I have several of them around. They see more use than my expensive blades do. If one of them get gets damaged or lost I'm out less than $20. I keep 2 in the side by side 2 in my truck along with an American made Old Timer filet knife and 2 more Mora's in my wife's truck, not to mention the one's on the house.

Mora's are good cheap fixed blades knives, I prefer the stainless to the CM. A nice feature of the Ontario is that it is a folding knife, so you can safely carry it in your pocket.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Ontario Camp Plus folding chef's knife, OKC 4300, $9 at Smokey Mountain.

The handle is a little thin for my hand, but the overall package works. Not everybody's cup of tea, but maybe worth a look for $9. $9 doesn't go very far these days, less than 2 gallons of gas or 2 Egg McMuffins.

Didn't you vote for Joe Biden?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
life is too short to mess around with cheap, poor quality knives.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by garddogg56

It has been my impression that many people who buy handmade knives treat them as status symbols, much like they tend to do with Gransfors Bruk axes, and save them for special occasions. To me, a knife is just a tool for cutting and while I enjoy the quality and craftsmanship of a good knife, I've never come across a deer or elk that couldn't be fielld dressed as well with a Mora as with an Ingram if they were equally sharp. The thinner Mora brade would certainly be a poorer choice for splitting a pelvic bone, but that is why I carry a Sagen Saw in my pack.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No not as a status symble just an appreciation for a great quality tool just like Klein tools are a quality tool for my trade for which I still have in use 48 years later.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No not as a status symble just an appreciation for a great quality tool just like Klein tools are a quality tool for my trade for which I still have in use 48 years later.

I've also got Klein Tools that are 50 years old

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

It has been my impression that many people who buy handmade knives treat them as status symbols, much like they tend to do with Gransfors Bruk axes, and save them for special occasions. To me, a knife is just a tool for cutting and while I enjoy the quality and craftsmanship of a good knife, I've never come across a deer or elk that couldn't be fielld dressed as well with a Mora as with an Ingram if they were equally sharp. The thinner Mora brade would certainly be a poorer choice for splitting a pelvic bone, but that is why I carry a Sagen Saw in my pack.

That's your impression because you've never objectively used both.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got some 8 Moras, both stainless and carbon. About as utilitarian as one needs.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just about any cold steel. The Canadian belt knife is good and the Finn bear did my deer last fall and still shaved hair off my arm when I was done. Can't be beat for $13

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Just about any cold steel. The Canadian belt knife is good and the Finn bear did my deer last fall and still shaved hair off my arm when I was done. Can't be beat for $13

Pendleton Lite, also.

Handy $13 knife.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If i hunt with a ruger American, but skin deer with a custom knife,

Does that cancel out the status symbol?

🤣😂🤣😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was teaching hunter education, I would incentify the class by letting the kids who made perfect scores on the test put their names into a hat and whoever got drawn got to choose either a custom knife or a $100 gift certificate for Cabela's.

The custom knives that I gave away were Dale Howe medium drop point hunters or Harvey King small games, so about double the value of the gift certificates. Most of the kids wanted the gift certificate, I guess that they planned to borrow a knife to field dress their deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've been using my own customs for over a decade and it has nothing to do with status, more to do with the story. I use customs for the same reason I prefer to hunt with my grandfather's rifle, or a rifle in a unique caliber, or an old beat up Mauser that I brought back to looking new. It enriches the experience for me, and as I get older I savor the experience more than I ever did when I was young and just out for the kill.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite inexpensive knife is a Victorinox Paring Knife. Get Dave to make a kydex sheath for it and you're golden.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
My favorite inexpensive knife is a Victorinox Paring Knife. Get Dave to make a kydex sheath for it and you're golden.

A good choice. I used to use the Victorinox paring knives with the serrated edge, but the handles are a little too small for comfort. The Zyliss serrated paring knives have bigger handles and work better for me. The nice thing about the Ontario knife is that it is a lock blade folder with a lanyard holein the handle, so it is easy to carry and, at least in theory, harder to lose.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When I was teaching hunter education, I would incentify the class by letting the kids who made perfect scores on the test put their names into a hat and whoever got drawn got to choose either a custom knife or a $100 gift certificate for Cabela's.

The custom knives that I gave away were Dale Howe medium drop point hunters or Harvey King small games, so about double the value of the gift certificates. Most of the kids wanted the gift certificate, I guess that they planned to borrow a knife to field dress their deer.

Or maybe they never heard of Dale Fugking Howe?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably used the gift certificate to buy a Gerber knife at Cabela's. They would have enough money left over to buy some see through scope mounts and a scope for their deer blaster.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
T
My favorite cheap knife is a Gerber Paraframe Mini. Bought it a few years ago for around $10. It quality and sharp. I carry it when I can’t carry an auto knife.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mora. Been using them for decades around the house. The funny thing is now that I think about it can’t remember ever damaging or losing one.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, they do tend to be harder to lose, in the house.......

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

226 members (338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 34 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,455
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.