Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got a couple of big Box Elder trees in the yard that need to go. I've read different opinions and most people don't like it,...that it stinks and doesn't generate much heat.

I'm cutting them either way. But I wonder if it's worth splitting up or just toss it in the burn pit.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Outstanding heat source if still green.

Go for it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're taking them down anyway, you should cut it up and split it. Wood is wood, it'll burn.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
If you're taking them down anyway, you should cut it up and split it. Wood is wood, it'll burn.

I'll give it a try, I guess. But wood is cheap to free around here if you want to go to the trouble of cutting and splitting it up. I could just as easily be processing walnut or oak.

In any event, I've got to get rid of it somehow.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bristo, it's a hardwood it should be good. \I think you can tap the sap for syrup.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Bristo, it's a hardwood it should be good. \I think you can tap the sap for syrup.
Yeah it's a maple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I'll give it a try, I guess. But wood is cheap to free around here if you want to go to the trouble of cutting and splitting it up. I could just as easily be processing walnut or oak.

In any event, I've got to get rid of it somehow.

Factor in the time, the fuel, the bar oil, and the wear/tear on your saws and splitter to process it and decide if it is worth it to you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take em down...find one of the small sawmills guys in your area...they may come get them. Some will make some really cool looking wood.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Burns hot and fast.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
18 million BTU per cord. It is a dog.

Oak is 24 million, ash is 22 million. This stuff is little better than pine. I would let it rot.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Free is cheaper that having to pay for hardwood. Around here we try to get piñon, mesquite, or juniper.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I had it, I'd burn it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I had it, I'd burn it.

Yes.

I'm sure that after Jake cut, split, and put up, a few cords of Box Elder this bumbling dumb fugk would throw pile after pile into a wood burner.

LOL

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Mostly, I'm wondering if it's going to stink up the house. I've burned all kinds of wood and I've never encountered any that particularly stunk.

The people who lived here before us planted a bunch of ornamental stuff back in the early 90s and most of it was overgrown. Much of it was big enough to cut some fireplace logs, so I burned it. I don't know what most of it was. But I can't say that it stunk the place up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldnt go out my way to acquire it BUT if it’s in the way, and you got nothing but time…burn it.

I have burned it and there is probably some in my massive firewood hoard. My uncle said last winter he wanted “everr goddamm sombitchin tree along that road cut down”. So I probably do.

I have an outside wood eater-heater, I’ll burn anything that makes heat. So the smell or punkiness is up to you

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
burn some outside to see how it smells?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toward the base of the tree, if it’s big enough, there can be some cool wood for turning bowls if you’re into lathe projects.

Otherwise burn as you would maple....mixed with a bit of a hardwood it’ll kick out enough heat to justify the effort.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Mostly, I'm wondering if it's going to stink up the house. I've burned all kinds of wood and I've never encountered any that particularly stunk.

The people who lived here before us planted a bunch of ornamental stuff back in the early 90s and most of it was overgrown. Much of it was big enough to cut some fireplace logs, so I burned it. I don't know what most of it was. But I can't say that it stunk the place up.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burn it.... Let us know next spring how it worked for you.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.