Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Ol Mike, people have no idea how high a Wahoo or King can jump straight up - until they see if for themselves they would never believe it.

Oh no. I've had plenty of kings jumping 8 or 10 ft in the air behind the boat. I just don't understand what ol_mike was trying to say.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ol_mike
When the guy grabbed the shark it turned and bit him, grab a biting type dog and it will turn and bite you. Point being > know that a shark ''knows'' to bite you, know that a dog knows to bite you.
Where does the flying wahoo fit in with biting sharks...................or dogs?

In the middle.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can't let them hang for too long...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best piece of acting in movie history...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fish learn to follow boats and steal their catch.
Same on the offshore drilling rig I worked on and fished. It was mostly Barracuda that stole almost every snapper. Or a dog.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Best piece of acting in movie history...

I've been wanting to rent this movie.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After the bite, was it one of those throbbing pains?
Every time your heart pumps, there’s a pain.
Keep hands out of sharks mouth.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Note to self; stay out them oceans...

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I had a 3' dogfish (mudshark) bite in half a black mouth salmon that I had almost reeled in.

I got to keep the front half of the salmon.

Dogfish are a big reason I don’t bother mooching anymore.

I was trolling off Baby Island.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a 3' dogfish (mudshark) bite in half a black mouth salmon that I had almost reeled in.

I got to keep the front half of the salmon.

Dogfish are a big reason I don’t bother mooching anymore.

I was trolling off Baby Island.

I never make it that far north. I fish from the clay banks up to Des Moines for the most part.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sharks are like a dog.

A friend went fishing offshore with me in Biloxi, he was trying to catch a Wahoo that would dart at his lure.

It had jumped once and sailed down the side of the boat, I told him he better stop speed reeling that lure straight back towards himself. To reel in with the rod-tip out to his side. Seconds later that Wahoo flies past him then me. As it passed to my right side it turned and snapped at my face about 3-4 feet away.
He was wide-eyed and I'm sure I was too.

It cleared the length a a 22+ foot boat stem to stern.

ol_mike, I'm not following the point of your post.

So it's not just me?

What the heck does a wahoo have to do with sharks being like dogs?

Teeth?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sharks are like a dog.

A friend went fishing offshore with me in Biloxi, he was trying to catch a Wahoo that would dart at his lure.

It had jumped once and sailed down the side of the boat, I told him he better stop speed reeling that lure straight back towards himself. To reel in with the rod-tip out to his side. Seconds later that Wahoo flies past him then me. As it passed to my right side it turned and snapped at my face about 3-4 feet away.

So it's not just me?

Ever have a redfish/mahi-mahi/tuna try and bite you? The shark attacked the guy, bit and spun his finger off. A wahoo will when gaffed or on the deck will sling its head around and purposely try to bite you.

Another friend Todd was trying to hit a wahoo in the head with a nylon mallet that we used for a knocker outer. Probably luck but the wahoo dodged the mallet 2-3 times then sunk its teeth into the handle. They played tug-a-war for several seconds as we laughed.

I've seen King Mackerel bought onboard still 'green' sliding on the deck biting the leaning post legs as they slid past it. Fast slashing bites. Ever see a snapper/grouper do that?
I heard about a Barracuda flipping off of a small gaff, it bit the back of a fishermans ankle and foot really bad, ended the trip.

And, one more, I was walking downstairs on the Production deck on an Offshore drilling rig south pass, Venice, La.. BJ Hughes hand Tommy had caught a huge eel 5-6' long. I thought it was a hose hanging partially overboard [dark but not good lighting in that spot] it sprang into action like a cornered dog trying to bite me. Scared the hell out of me.
A Production hand walking the same way saw it happen, said I did some great high-steppin. It was mentioned in the weekly Safety Meeting, no leaving big eels unattended.
Was unhooking a king when it started trashing and I got a treble hook im my finger, I used my left hand on its head to pin it and it bit that hand, more blood on the deck from me than the fish.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
It sounds like Cap'n Quint had the pinky re-attached in Miami. Lost a pint of blood and got a bag on the helo ride. They were going to find out the outcome the next day. Times are tough when you start using your own body parts for cut bait. Thanks Joe.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Every way is the wrong way to mess with a shark.

Not exactly. There are some ways that are pretty safe and lots of fun. Snagging a 25' basking shark didn't sound that exciting, but I'm here to tell you that messing with a fish that big on relatively light tackle can be damned entertaining and not the least bit threatening to the thing's well being. Same goes for mola mola. Wicked men at sea can = good times!

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never make it that far north. I fish from the clay banks up to Des Moines for the most part.

I fished Des Moines every day summer of 1975. I had a 12' car top I would carry down the ramp at the Des Moines marina.
My girlfriend, now wife, did not like fishing Des Moines in 1976. She wanted we should do our electrical engineering homework.
I might still be fishing Des Moines and living in my parent's basement if not for her.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sharks are like a dog.

So it's not just me?

Teeth?

By that reasoning.............

mice are like a dog.

possums are like a dog

bats are like a dog

sheep are like a dog.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sharks are like a dog.

So it's not just me?

Teeth?

By that reasoning.............

mice are like a dog.

possums are like a dog

bats are like a dog

sheep are like a dog.

Women are like a dog..

smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fish story, We were way out of south pass, Louisiana ?80? miles, Venice, out at two big semi-submersible rigs, big floaters.
Cobalt blue water and a fish day, saw a huge whale bigger than the 36' Bertram.

We caught a 74 & 71 lb wahoo that day several nice yellowfin, nothing over 120 lbs, and a three I think Blue Marlin. Mahi, I don't even keep up with them.

Caught a smallish blue marlin maybe 175 lbs. it smacks into the side of the boat haulin ass and breaks 6-7'' off of its bill. The bill is stuck in a fuel vent on the starboard side, I told my buddy Steve who owns the boat, he said get it, it'll make a nice coffee table piece.

So Ted and I are working on the fish, he cut the line in front of the hook without telling me. < Fish was hooked near its eye, 12ot hook.
I lift the rod up and the $100+ lure we got in Kona slips off the end and is sinking. I toss my sunglasses step up on the stern going into dive position and Ted grabs me and says NO, my thought was what the hell are you doing I'm going to dive in and grab one our best lures.
Ted has an odd look on his face as he holds me back then points out why I shouldn't dive in. A huge Mako was down behind the boat and I hadn't seen it. I would have dove right into its face. He could very well have saved my life because it was after the marlin that Ted was holding onto what was left of its bill. Ted is about 6'7 or 8'' tall & 350lbs.

We had to spin a couple of circles with the boat so the shark would lose sight of the Marlin.
I was barely able to pull the marlins broken piece of bill out of the vent, he rammed it in there really good.

The sight and thought of that monster shark, my butt stays in the boat !!!

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fish story, We were way out of south pass, Louisiana ?80? miles, Venice, out at two big semi-submersible rigs, big floaters.
Cobalt blue water and a fish day, saw a huge whale bigger than the 36' Bertram.

We caught a 74 & 71 lb wahoo that day several nice yellowfin, nothing over 120 lbs, and a three I think Blue Marlin. Mahi, I don't even keep up with them.

Caught a smallish blue marlin maybe 175 lbs. it smacks into the side of the boat haulin ass and breaks 6-7'' off of its bill. The bill is stuck in a fuel vent on the starboard side, I told my buddy Steve who owns the boat, he said get it, it'll make a nice coffee table piece.

So Ted and I are working on the fish, he cut the line in front of the hook without telling me. < Fish was hooked near its eye, 12ot hook.
I lift the rod up and the $100+ lure we got in Kona slips off the end and is sinking. I toss my sunglasses step up on the stern going into dive position and Ted grabs me and says NO, my thought was what the hell are you doing I'm going to dive in and grab one our best lures.
Ted has an odd look on his face as he holds me back then points out why I shouldn't dive in. A huge Mako was down behind the boat and I hadn't seen it. I would have dove right into its face. He could very well have saved my life because it was after the marlin that Ted was holding onto what was left of its bill. Ted is about 6'7 or 8'' tall & 350lbs.

We had to spin a couple of circles with the boat so the shark would lose sight of the Marlin.
I was barely able to pull the marlins broken piece of bill out of the vent, he rammed it in there really good.

The sight and thought of that monster shark, my butt stays in the boat !!!

Great fish story, mike.

I've dove in after sunglasses more than once. One time, when I came up to the surface, there was a redfish tailing right in front of my face. Right near a bull shark, captain told me after I got back in the boat. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.