Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I plan to acquire a new dog for strictly upland bird hunting. Recently relocated from Alaska to Idaho and have never hunted birds in the West. Will also hunt in the Midwest for grouse and woodcock.

My last bird dog was a golden retriever- Bruno he lived 15 years. He was without a doubt the best dog I ever had. Ptarmigan, spruce, ruffed, and sharp tailed grouse hunting machine. We hunted together all over Alaska. I could put him in a bush plane and take him anywhere, he was always happy and mellow, great with people and especially children. When it came time to hunt he was all business. I don’t attribute his greatness to my ability as a trainer, that’s the wife.

Anyways, I’m considering different breed this time. I’ve some experience with spaniels my father had an American water spaniel, mom had a Brittany and my brother a Cocker. I’ve thought about possibly an English Springer or an English Setter as the wife has had two Irish Setters. Just want to try something different, I expect this will be my last gun dog. Plan on getting a started or fully trained pup. I know everybody has their own opinion on what breed is best but, I’m open to suggestions if you care to offer. Thanks.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First decision is do you want a flusher or a pointer. Springers flush...Setters point. One has to be willing to keep up with a flusher once they move out on scent, and in some cases let them rip it, which a hot Springer will do. You will not be casually walking up to a point as often may happen with a Setter. Most likely a Springer will be more reliable for retrieving, especially for the difficult ones.

You most likely already know the above....You are going to get suggestions of everyones current favorite...Which really will not help all that much in narrowing down a final choice..

I like Springers and Cockers...Friend has an English Setter which is turning into a Darth Vader Birddog. Another friend has a Lab that pretty much does it all.

Last edited by battue; 07/25/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're in the southern 1/2 of the state, or will be hunting that part of the state, I'd suggest a pointing breed and good hiking boots, then hit the chukar hills!!

For the bird hunting I've done in ID (pheasant, chukars, sage grouse) the pointing breeds have worked very well. I like the 'ugly' breeds. The ones with a beard. I currently have a pudelpointer and wouldn't hesitate to go that route again. Probably the only other breed I'll look at, were I to switch, would be a drathaar. Both breeds have well known breeders in Idaho. The variety of upland bird hunting in Idaho is amazing. I have a pard that lives there and he usually shoots every species of upland bird the state has over his drathaar every year.

T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I know everyone has their own preferences, really just wanted to consider some other possibilities based on fellow sportsman’s experience. Right now, I’m leaning towards a Llewellin. Does anyone have any experience with this breed?

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I would carefully consider how the dog will be to live with and your personal situation. Big difference between some breeds.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
If you're in the southern 1/2 of the state, or will be hunting that part of the state, I'd suggest a pointing breed and good hiking boots, then hit the chukar hills!!

For the bird hunting I've done in ID (pheasant, chukars, sage grouse) the pointing breeds have worked very well. I like the 'ugly' breeds. The ones with a beard. I currently have a pudelpointer and wouldn't hesitate to go that route again. Probably the only other breed I'll look at, were I to switch, would be a drathaar. Both breeds have well known breeders in Idaho. The variety of upland bird hunting in Idaho is amazing. I have a pard that lives there and he usually shoots every species of upland bird the state has over his drathaar every year.

I'd investigate Idaho drahthaar kennels.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you liked a Golden get a Golden. It would not be my own choice but I'm an elderly single male and any dog of mine would no more than see children from a distance.

What do you want your next dog to do better or different?

After that I'd buy the breeder or the line if given any access to the sire and dam. I think there can be as much difference within a given breed as across breeds.

I find myself objecting to the wording of "fully" trained pup. My own experience has been that a really smart started pup that continues professional training working with the owner and family under supervision while being a part of the family at home is more fun - that is no animal is ever fully trained and turned over and stays quite fully trained - either gets better or goes down hill.

T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Clark Myers, my last bird dog just happened to be a Golden Retriever. I have no particular loyalty to the breed, even though he was an exceptional dog and came from excellent hunting bloodlines his sister who I also hunted over wasn’t. I’m well aware that even litter mates can have different personalities and innate skills. I figure you only go around once and this time I want to experience a different breed of gun dog.

I wouldn’t even consider a dog that isn’t comfortable in various environments and social situations to include children. I’m also getting long in the tooth and am leaning more towards a closer working, slower, methodical walking gun dog. A gentleman’s bird dog if you will. I have pretty much eliminated “flushers” from consideration despite an affinity for spaniels.

Didn’t intend to offend anyone with my poor choice of words. I attribute that to my lack of vocabulary an inability to articulate accurately. By “Fully” I’m referring to a gun dog that has been trained to point and retrieve. I know that is not a finished dog and that training and reinforcement continues.

I’m still in the research phase of this endeavor, which I find interesting and informative in itself. Thanks for those that have mentioned Drahthaars(sp) definitely worthy of further study.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You might consider a Wirehair Pointing Griffon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tsavo
I know everyone has their own preferences, really just wanted to consider some other possibilities based on fellow sportsman’s experience. Right now, I’m leaning towards a Llewellin. Does anyone have any experience with this breed?
The girl in my avatar was a Llewellin. The plan is to get another. What info are you looking for?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
German Shorthairs for me, but its always a Ford vs Chevy thing. I like the short coat that doesn't collect burrs. Wife bought a golden doodle (yeah, eye roll) for her housedog pet. That thing is the calmest I've ever been around and smart as a whip. But that long haired coat is a burr collecting machine when running out in the weeds.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Recommendations:
1. Get one
2. Get the one you like to look at and live with.
3.Get it from a gundog breeder that prioritizes health and temperament.
4. Consider the type of hunting you will do most and choose accordingly.
5. Labs and Springers rule, but then I like to hunt ducks.
6. A Brittany or a Shorthair is seldom a mistake.
7. #'s 1 thru 3 above trump all else.

T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I haven’t been around Llewellins, I think they are beautiful dogs and sure like what I read about them. That breed is definitely on my watch list. My plan is that once I develop a short list to contact and visit breeders and possibly see potential sires and dams. I’m willing and capable to travel anywhere for the right dog.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The choice of dog is an interesting challenge. One friend had a few Llewellins and he loved them.

I have had German Wirehaired Pointers for over 30 years. They suit my needs perfectly. We hunt doves, three species of quail and occasionally stock tank jump ducks here in S. Az. Lucky for them we have an acre of land for them to roam which I believe they need. Once in the house they are mellow but hell on wheels outside. Everyone of my five have been that way.

As to burrs yea they can get a few sticky plants on our mearns quail hunts. As the season progresses their fur get stripped and are easier to clean. Here is first outing last year, a particularly bad year for the Pega Ropa aka Mentzelia Desertorum.

there are two dogs in this pic. Looks like they are wearing ghillie suits. [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had a pointing Labrador one heck of a great dog in the house and hunting. i would look for a breeder that sells pointing Labradors. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
There’s got to be a breed that you have been craving to have over the years. Find a good breeder of whatever breed that is and get yourself a pup. Scratch that itch! Let us know what you decide. All that said...... I go Spaniel if I were you! grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Drahthaar and don’t look back….

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shorthair

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Drahthaar and don’t look back….

My sentiments exactly…..

V
V
I have a 2-1/2 year old Llewellin and a chessie that I hunt with. The chessie was a family dog that happened to turn into a decent flusher. That was the gateway into upland hunting for me. The Llew came a couple years later and she is great. Super sweet dog and a bird finder. I will say that pointing dogs take alot more work from my limited experience, so make sure you have the time to work with it. Nothing like watching a pointing dog work!

Attached Images

VAUplander
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.