Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Over the last two years since my surgery, have down sized scope collection to mostly lower power scopes to fit the 300 yard max shooting range here at home. Recently gained access to a property where I can stretch a 300H&H out to about 700 yards on paper and varmints. Looking for recommendations on a "buy once, cry once" scope suitable for hunting 100-300 yards, as well as targets out to 700 yards. First priority is a generous eye box so that it is easy to "get behind" while hunting. Prefer turning knobs versus trying to read a Christmas Tree. Prefer smaller 40-44mm objectives versus large. Previously a solid Leupold fan. However, aware that there are many other options available today... Thoughts ?

Last edited by Orion2000; 07/26/22.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got a Sightron SIII 6-24x. The glass is crystal clear and the eye box is huge.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S&B Klassic 3-12x42 Precision Hunter

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I really like the newer Trijicon optics myself. I have a 2-10 Credo on my 300 RUM, a 3-18 on my Mashburn Super. I also have a Swaro Z5i 3-18 as well with their Ballistic Turret that should get to 700 yards.

I also have a 2.5x16 Trijicon that’s very nice as well. It is a SFP optic but I got it for a specific rifle and place I hunt.

So far I can’t find a bobble in the Trijicons tracking on paper or steel at distance and they aren’t slouches in resolution either.

No experience with the Swaro yet but there are a lot of good ones in that 1000-1500 dollar price point.

Some other great optics available in the 500 dollar range as well.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I recently mounted a Trijicon Accu-Point 2.5-12.5x42 on a M70 300Win mostly due to the generous tube length for mounting. It tracked as it should getting it zero'd and that's as far as I've gotten. I've got a bit of load testing to do before fall and I'll get a better idea regarding tracking and maintaining POI but my initial impression is that the scope is drama-free.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
I really like the newer Trijicon optics myself. I have a 2-10 Credo on my 300 RUM, a 3-18 on my Mashburn Super. I also have a Swaro Z5i 3-18 as well with their Ballistic Turret that should get to 700 yards.

I also have a 2.5x16 Trijicon that’s very nice as well. It is a SFP optic but I got it for a specific rifle and place I hunt.

So far I can’t find a bobble in the Trijicons tracking on paper or steel at distance and they aren’t slouches in resolution either.

No experience with the Swaro yet but there are a lot of good ones in that 1000-1500 dollar price point.

Some other great optics available in the 500 dollar range as well.

Hey Beretz do any of those Trijicons have adjustable parallax? Looks like the left knob is for illumination adjustment? Or?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 2.5x16 and the 3-18. The 2-10 does not. And yes, you spotted it correct, it is parallax and illumination on the same knob.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 07/26/22.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 2.5x16 and the 3-18. The 2-10 does not. And yes, you spotted it correct, it is parallax and illumination on the same knob.

I'll have to take a crack at one of these. The 2-10 looks like it might be used like an SWFA 3-9 with illumination. If the stock fits well enough, I'm not hung up on having parallax adjustment for most of the hunting I do. I like the weight and tracking on the 2.5-10 NF NXS but the glass is sort of mediocre in low light and the eyebox is tight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just exactly what you mentioned about the 2-10 vs the SS 3x9 is why I like the Trijicon. I think the eye box is easier to get behind a bit as well on the Trijicon. The illumination is great.

I like the Trijicon more than the 2.5x10 NF as well. Honestly it’s a nice optic and is priced pretty fairly within the competition.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/26/22.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nice fwt Scotty. How do you intend to scope your new 300H&H? As for the op's question, I have a question. I'm wondering how the 4-16x44 Zeiss V4 with exposed turret would do? They are nice and light, have phenomenal glass and supposedly track very well. Also, not to bad mouth Trijicon, but I've had one and the glass was sub par for the course. Probably no where near the level of what todays scopes are, since it was an older one. I know they are regarded as a damn rugged scope though. That 2.5-15x42 is a very versatile power range as well. I hate to bring this question up, but how easy is it to see the reticle when it is on the lowest power setting?? Assuming it's FFP..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll throw the SWFA 3-15 into the discussion. For the money, they're tough to beat. Great reticle, reliable dialing, very rugged. I run some SWFA 6x and 3-9 HD as well, which would work well at the distances you cited, but they're pretty scarce these days.

I have a few LRHS/LRTS that have given me good service. I've come to appreciate their reticles. I prefer the discontinued 3-12's, but have a couple 4.5-18's as well.

I recently spent some time with an NF SHV F1 4-14. The MILR reticle was better than I remembered from a few years ago. Overall, a very nice scope that would be well suited to your stated needs.

I don't have much direct experience with the Trijicons, but I plan to fix that shortly.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 2.5-12.5x42 Accu-Point does have side parallax adjustment.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice fwt Scotty. How do you intend to scope your new 300H&H? As for the op's question, I have a question. I'm wondering how the 4-16x44 Zeiss V4 with exposed turret would do? They are nice and light, have phenomenal glass and supposedly track very well. Also, not to bad mouth Trijicon, but I've had one and the glass was sub par for the course. Probably no where near the level of what todays scopes are, since it was an older one. I know they are regarded as a damn rugged scope though. That 2.5-15x42 is a very versatile power range as well. I hate to bring this question up, but how easy is it to see the reticle when it is on the lowest power setting?? Assuming it's FFP..

I have a Z5i 3-18 that I might put on the 300 H&H BSA. I was also thinking of swapping the Trijicon 2.5x16 off the 270, putting it on the 300 and putting the Z5i on the 270. Haven't decided yet.

No idea on the Zeiss stuff myself. I have heard good stuff about them though.

The 2.5x16 is a SFP scope, the 3-18 and 2-10 are FFP's. Glass and reticle is great to me on the lowest power, even without the illumination turned on. I've never worried about the FFP reticle if it is a good one of shooting stuff on the lowest power.

SB brings up some great options as well. Picking a scope for someone else is like picking out a color for a pickup truck. We all like stuff for different reasons and nowadays, I just get what works for me.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I have a Z5i 3-18 that I might put on the 300 H&H BSA. I was also thinking of swapping the Trijicon 2.5x16 off the 270, putting it on the 300 and putting the Z5i on the 270. Haven't decided yet.

The 2.5x16 is a SFP scope, the 3-18 and 2-10 are FFP's. Glass and reticle is great to me on the lowest power, even without the illumination turned on. I've never worried about the FFP reticle if it is a good one of shooting stuff on the lowest power.

SB brings up some great options as well. Picking a scope for someone else is like picking out a color for a pickup truck. We all like stuff for different reasons and nowadays, I just get what works for me.

You keep calling it a 2.5-16x42, but the picture you posted says 2.5-15?? Semantics I know, but that's what I'm seeing. Are you talking about a different scope? I also wouldn't worry about a FFP if I ever saw one where you can actually see the reticle at low power. They just aren't for me because when I'm in a dark wooded area, that cross hair needs to be as bold as possible. I don't take trick shots on game.. As for the Swaro 3-18, that is a damn nice scope. My buddy has a couple. He's a scope snob in a way. Says the older he gets the better glass he needs... I saw a used one the last time I was with him checking out some shops and it was $1,200.00. Nice and light and very nice glass. I guess you get what you pay for there..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You keep calling it a 2.5-16x42, but the picture you posted says 2.5-15?? Semantics I know, but that's what I'm seeing. Are you talking about a different scope?

No, I wrote 16 on accident. It's a 15X on top.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You keep calling it a 2.5-16x42, but the picture you posted says 2.5-15?? Semantics I know, but that's what I'm seeing. Are you talking about a different scope?

No, I wrote 16 on accident. It's a 15X on top.

Ok, thanks. I thought Tijicon had some interesting power ranges or all over the board. Horse says he has one in 2.5-12.5??
Originally Posted by horse1
The 2.5-12.5x42 Accu-Point does have side parallax adjustment.

Seems like a damn good power range (2.5-15x42). And SFP, I'd use it..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I settled on the vortex razor lht 3-15x42 for my elk/deer rifles. I have 5 and all have been reliable to 600yds and back many times. Great reticle (I prefer SFP for hunting), locking turret for elevation, capped windage, perfect illumination IMO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a lot of rifles and scopes and to be honest the best scope i have ever found that i can move the turrents alot up, down, left ,right what ever and then put the settings back to zero the one scope brand is a Nightforce scope always comes back a perfect zero. when i shoot on the bench in the winter you look down the line all the better shooters are using Nightforce scopes too .our American Military snipers use Nightforce scopes a lot too , ever see a Nightforce catalog ? they advertised and show a picture of a American sniper military Nightforce scope with a bullet hole thru it and that scope still held zero , that bullet was shot from a enemy sniper rifle. that is a heck of an picture of truth.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I just got a Sightron SIII 6-24x. The glass is crystal clear and the eye box is huge.

With the current Sightron Summer Savings through the end of this month all Sightron scopes are heavily reduced

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i own a lot of rifles and scopes and to be honest the best scope i have ever found that i can move the turrents alot up, down, left ,right what ever and then put the settings back to zero the one scope brand is a Nightforce scope always comes back a perfect zero. when i shoot on the bench in the winter you look down the line all the better shooters are using Nightforce scopes too .our American Military snipers use Nightforce scopes a lot too , ever see a Nightforce catalog ? they advertised and show a picture of a American sniper military Nightforce scope with a bullet hole thru it and that scope still held zero , that bullet was shot from a enemy sniper rifle. that is a heck of an picture of truth.

I love my NF rifle scopes. Never had a feeling like I was overspending ever on one. That says a lot because I've gotten that feeling on a few higher priced optics in my lifetime. I would have suggested the SHV, 5-20x56, but the OP seems set on 44mm OBJ or smaller. Thus the reason for asking about the new Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44.. Seems like an excellent scope and may be what the OP is describing.. I'll soon get a chance to wring one out and then I'll know for sure if its a good one.. I do agree with you on NF optics though. The reason I have a few..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

51 members (2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, Anaconda, 6 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,121
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.