24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a nice Remington short action in .308 that I’ve been working on for a target rifle. It’s been pillar bedded and had a Walker trigger installed. It’s showing good accuracy.
It has a 26” factory medium heavy barrel. Would there be any benefit accuracy wise to shorten the barrel to around 20-22”?
It’s not a competition rifle. Just a for fun rifle….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/22/22.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've NEVER shortened a spout and had it shoot "worse". And noooooooo you Fhuqktards,it weren't the "crown". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Rem 700 VSSF 308 Winny here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'd knock that piece of schit back to 21",for balance and handling. Then I'd toss the scope and rings,to roll 10x MQ. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've NEVER shortened a spout and had it shoot "worse". And noooooooo you Fhuqktards,it weren't the "crown". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Rem 700 VSSF 308 Winny here. Hint.

I'd knock that piece of schit back to 21",for balance and handling. Then I'd toss the scope and rings,to roll 10x MQ. Hint.................

A 308! I’d have never guessed it so.. whistle

OP, I couldn’t like a 26” 308 myself. 20-22” is more then plenty and it might be more fun to get out of the truck. Like a darned fly rod in a compact car grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I thought to shorten, thread it, then flute it…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I thought to shorten, thread it, then flute it…..

I think you’re on to something.

Semper Fi
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just shortened a Remington by .0625" and accuracy improved. They make them with long throats...too long for 150 grain boat-tails and the mag is too short for 185 grain Scenars...unless you get a longer Wyatt mag. I've shortened barrels and sometimes the accuracy has improved simply because the target crowning was better than factory crowning. Little Stick has a very short barrel of small diameter, a few inches shorter than standard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude is HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute",if only to fuel your Homoerotic Fantasies. Wyatt sucks ass. Pass DBM's and pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Whether Mexican Match(168 SMK Smooches). Hint.

Or the good stuff(155 Skinner Smooches). Hint.

Google as you MUST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Technically a barrel of the same profile has more whip & give the longer it is. Shorter is a little stiffer therefore the accuracy potential is greater how I see it. But it may all come down to who does the chop job and how good the crown is as well as some other factors but hell go for it then you'll know

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you shorten it, I'd highly recommend an indicated crown. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used a stock Rem .308 varmint in a home made across the course stock for a season. Turned the muzzle for a sight clamp base and clip slotted the action.
I managed a second place in the NC high power championship with it that year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Al,
What’s an indicated crown?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Al,What’s an indicated crown?

This pic grabbed off the Interweb show a typical set up for precision indicated crowning. In a precision lathe fixture like this, the bore of the muzzle end is precisely indicated to have as little runout as possible. This is done using a snug fitting pin generally referred to as a 'Deltronic pin'. These pins are precision ground in .0001 increments. Once indicated with as little run out as possible, good ones will be .0001-.0002 of T.I.R. (Total Indicated Runout). The crown is then cut perfectly perpendicular to the bore.

Crowns done in this manner will allow for equal pressure from the expanding gas on the circumference of the back end of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle. The bullet will leave the muzzle 'cleaner' and with less yaw, giving better on target accuracy.

Whether or not you'll actually see this type of improvement on the target depends on a lot of factors. Primarily, it's the bore of the barrel itself at the muzzle that's the big determiner. That's why many accuracy 'smiths prefer a barrel with a bit of gain-twist and a .0001-.0002 tighter bore at the last 2 inches before where they will put the crown, if possible.

For what it's worth...... -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If the rifle , the way it is, didn't work for me, I'd shorten it. If it did, I'd leave it alone. Personally, I like a 22" 308 but I confess to having five which are 26+. These are "F" class and prone rifles. If I was having accuracy issues, shortening the barrel, as potential cure, would be way down on the list. If I just wanted the rifle to be shorter, I'd cut it. GD

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
If the rifle , the way it is, didn't work for me, I'd shorten it. If it did, I'd leave it alone. Personally, I like a 22" 308 but I confess to having five which are 26+. These are "F" class and prone rifles. If I was having accuracy issues, shortening the barrel, as potential cure, would be way down on the list. If I just wanted the rifle to be shorter, I'd cut it. GD

This^^^^^ -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sound advice….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
That's why many accuracy 'smiths prefer a barrel with a bit of gain-twist and a .0001-.0002 tighter bore at the last 2 inches before where they will put the crown, if possible.

This makes sense (you want a tight gas seal) but how do you determine this? Air gauge of some sorts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see where the target style 11 degree crown has to be indicated BUT a barrel that is spun in a lathe can be crowned with a Remington style recess without indicating.

Using the cross feed the tool bit will pass across the end of the barrel at a 90 degree angle and will impart a perfect crown. No polishing or other work required. This will work even if the barrel is in the headstock chuck with some runout. Just saying....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.