Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Just got this in one of my news feeds.

Seems to be a common theme in these thefts:
"Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession."

Six men arrested for 131 catalytic converter thefts

[Linked Image from gray-waff-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com]

By Nick Kremer
Published: Jul. 26, 2022 at 10:07 AM CDT|Updated: 31 minutes ago

LIMESTONE Co., Ala. (WAFF) - The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office says that it has arrested six people and charged them with a total of 131 charges related to catalytic converter thefts.

According to a Facebook post from the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, a catalytic convert business in Athens was suspected of unlawful sales. L and C Converters is a secondary metal recycler that purchases catalytic converters but according to Alabama law, that is illegal unless the entire car is purchased.

The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office observed converts being sold for cash at the business and contacted the individuals. Upon making contact, law enforcement discovered that the man delivering converters, Gary Swearinger, had a warrant with the Athens Police Department.

Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession.

Investigators also discovered 36 catalytic converters in plain view at the shop and shop owner, Jimmy Free Jr. did not have documentation for any of the converts

Free Jr. was arrested and charged with 36 counts of ownership documentation required for catalytic converter purchase. Free is being held at the Limestone County Detention Center with a $180,000 bond. Swearinger was arrested and charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, he has been released from the Limestone County Detention Center on a $8,500 bond.

Limestone County Sheriff, Joshua McLaughlin says that he will not tolerate catalytic converter thefts in Limestone County.

We have arrested 6 individuals, on a total of 131 charges related to the theft of catalytic converters, in the past 12 days,” McLaughlin said. “We will not tolerate catalytic converter crimes in Limestone County.”

From WAFF 48 News

You gotta know in someplace like Limestone County, people would know him. And if they had had a converter sawn off, he’d be a ripe candidate for an ass kicking. Hope he (they)gets some genuine homestyle comeuppance

Yeah, the people who do this stuff are almost always well known, especially to the local cops.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Just got this in one of my news feeds.

Seems to be a common theme in these thefts:
"Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession."

By Nick Kremer
Published: Jul. 26, 2022 at 10:07 AM CDT|Updated: 31 minutes ago

LIMESTONE Co., Ala. (WAFF) - The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office says that it has arrested six people and charged them with a total of 131 charges related to catalytic converter thefts.

According to a Facebook post from the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, a catalytic convert business in Athens was suspected of unlawful sales. L and C Converters is a secondary metal recycler that purchases catalytic converters but according to Alabama law, that is illegal unless the entire car is purchased.

The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office observed converts being sold for cash at the business and contacted the individuals. Upon making contact, law enforcement discovered that the man delivering converters, Gary Swearinger, had a warrant with the Athens Police Department.

Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession.

Investigators also discovered 36 catalytic converters in plain view at the shop and shop owner, Jimmy Free Jr. did not have documentation for any of the converts

Free Jr. was arrested and charged with 36 counts of ownership documentation required for catalytic converter purchase. Free is being held at the Limestone County Detention Center with a $180,000 bond. Swearinger was arrested and charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, he has been released from the Limestone County Detention Center on a $8,500 bond.

Limestone County Sheriff, Joshua McLaughlin says that he will not tolerate catalytic converter thefts in Limestone County.

We have arrested 6 individuals, on a total of 131 charges related to the theft of catalytic converters, in the past 12 days,” McLaughlin said. “We will not tolerate catalytic converter crimes in Limestone County.”

From WAFF 48 News

75 years ago their residence & vehicles would have been fire-bombed.
Today nobody does anything, so why would a thief stop thieving.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 33 year old daughter has a car I gave her and still pay for licence and insurance.
She parked in Seattle and lost the converter.
They were back ordered for 3 months.
It cost me $2k for a converter and converter chastity belt.

I was told that model car will not keep a converter overnight in Seattle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
had them try once till my dog dragged him out from under the truck, had him on security footage and didn't get out in time, had to get the cut welded. on a silverado they aren't easy to get too so he was trying to situated to get cutting. guy needed surgery after the dog was done with him. he did try to sue me SOB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not exactly - The thieves stole my whole Cadillac Convertible!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If anyone ever stole one of mine they'd be in for a disappointment.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy had it cut out of his truck while at work. Did $3,500 in damage.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
They’ve been stealing convertors out from under vehicles for 25-30 years in Hamcunt Tenn

These scoundrels will cut your copper plumbing out and they’ll even cut the coils and condenser out of your heat pumps, even at church.

Good way to get struck by lightin’

🙌🏻🙌🏻

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can't be too hard for the cops to ask these idiots who they're selling to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tjm10025

There you have it.

Illegal to sell or install a used cat in NY State where I worked, but sure it happens often enough. Not sure of the laws in other states.

I can't remember off hand ever replacing a stolen catalytic converter. Did plenty of exhaust work over the years.

BTW, there are very little quantities of precious metals (platinum and rhodium) in the average converter.

-Ken

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outlaws MC and White Bikers Association run the recycle centers in some places.

Some things….you leave it alone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don’t go hiking your brady bunch slacks up to the armpits and go in to the scale house and start runnin that yap. 🤣

Ya don’t tug on superman’s cape 🤣🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a family that built their own house in Seattle. THey sold it and moved to the suburbs to avoid the crime. THe problem was crazy people knocking on the door all night.

During the BLM and antifa riots, there was a square mile of downtown Seattle with all windows broken and boarded up with plywood.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kendibs

There you have it.

Illegal to sell or install a used cat in NY State where I worked, but sure it happens often enough. Not sure of the laws in other states.

I can't remember off hand ever replacing a stolen catalytic converter. Did plenty of exhaust work over the years.

BTW, there are very little quantities of precious metals (platinum and rhodium) in the average converter.

-Ken

That's how they caught the guys in the story I posted above.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A local place had four converters stolen from their vans, so they contacted VSI LLC (Vehicle Security Innovators) (920 499-0022) and had their Cat Raps installed on their fleet and haven't lost any more converters since. It looks like a plate that attaches above the converter that cable wraps the converter.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No! I take mine off and put it under my bed till the next AM!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
No! I take mine off and put it under my bed till the next AM!

Had I known that earlier, I would have offered you a job!

-Ken

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The financing guy at a local Toyota place had his catalytic converter stolen in the Toyota parking lot while he was at work. He was a might peeved. Brand new vehicle, he'd only had it a month when he got snaked.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cut mine off my first pickup. Replaced with a straight pipe. No more brush fires in the dry months. Used to burn leaded fuel too. Those were the good old days.

God Bless America
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by KenMi
A groid cut mine from my F350 at 11:30 a.m. in the center of a Home Depot parking lot. Feb. 2021.
No one heard or saw anything?!!!

Groids cover for groids. And, I think there was a lot associate that helped out as well. But, no proof.

$100 out of my pocket. Insurance paid the $1200 bill, as well as a 2 day SUV rental.

Welded rebar is a great idea, but better yet inside the pipe. They hit that and they will be stopped quick

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.