Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shoot, thanks for the link! Never seen it.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
47.o gr H-4831sc + 130 Accubond gets the nod for the deer opener here in a couple of weeks. Of course, everything shoots in my Tikka T-3 (except 100 gr TTSXs for some reason)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Shoot, thanks for the link! Never seen it.

You are welcome - happy others can benefit. I shared it a few times before. I like how it denotes length of some of the plastic tips.

I would not mind seeing a site that listed Ogive lengths.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TLB2
Anybody tried the 120 Gold dots?

I bought a box and sold them after reading up and being, likely unnecessarily, scared off them. Supposedly more for Grendel speed and I was looking for something perhaps slightly stouter than 120 ProHunters....which honestly work fine.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
45.5 grains of H4831 SC with a 140 Nosler Partition @ 2.780 shoot 1/2" groups in my Sako 85 Finnlite

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
My A bolt has a 1:10 twist so I'm guessing I'm gonna be limited to 130gr and less. Has anyone had any luck with anything heavier in a 1:10?
Hi Ghostman, I have the same rifle and have done a fair amount of testing, JB himself sent me the numbers showing a 140 ought to work ok in this rig. I was getting great results with 140 Gamekings and 44.5 grains H4831sc. Mind the coal limits of the magazine though.

I was stupid for not trusting my lying eyes and worrying about twist. Reading too much from this site. I went to 120's and while they work I much prefer the 140SGK.
That combo was like magic in dropping things right there compared to any of my other calibers and combos. Absolute text book.

Since the shortages I have had to bounce around powders and bullets. I bought the Speer Deep Curls but found they are more for Grendel speeds so sold them.
My latest effort took some doing but I found some 140 Hot Cores and been trying Accurate 4350 since I couldn't find H4350....which I bought because I couldn't find IMR4350.
For the heavier bullets like 140grain I think H4831sc is the way to go. It is not hard to find now.
If interested my latest best loads with Accurate 4350 is 42 grain with the Speer HC 140.

I been fidgeting with COAL and for both 140's am setting it at 2.765.

Oh lastly, not sure how long you have had the A-bolt and if it is wood or synthetic. I loved the skinny feel of the factory synthetic but it kicked hard for a 260 so I swapped the pad. It was still not consistent and I found it was very finicky about where you rested the stock. I swapped it out for a Bell and Carlson stock and first time at the range got a 3 shot one hole group and an offer from the guy next to me to buy the rifle. Recoil was drastically cut too.

I did one other mod and that was to buy the Timney (if I recall) trigger spring replacement kit. Two springs- take your pick. I replaced the factory spring- took about two full minutes and adjusted. Super crisp light trigger now. Worth it.

Got a nice rubber sling that makes carrying it a breeze. S&K mounts, which I think are the most attractive, for my Vx3. Love the way the magazine box works , the 60° bolt throw, tang safety and crisp trigger. I know your die hard Alaskan bush people hate this rig but it suits me and my climates to a 'T".

. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
My A bolt has a 1:10 twist so I'm guessing I'm gonna be limited to 130gr and less. Has anyone had any luck with anything heavier in a 1:10?
Hi Ghostman, I have the same rifle and have done a fair amount of testing, JB himself sent me the numbers showing a 140 ought to work ok in this rig. I was getting great results with 140 Gamekings and 44.5 grains H4831sc. Mind the coal limits of the magazine though.

I was stupid for not trusting my lying eyes and worrying about twist. Reading too much from this site. I went to 120's and while they work I much prefer the 140SGK.
That combo was like magic in dropping things right there compared to any of my other calibers and combos. Absolute text book.

Since the shortages I have had to bounce around powders and bullets. I bought the Speer Deep Curls but found they are more for Grendel speeds so sold them.
My latest effort took some doing but I found some 140 Hot Cores and been trying Accurate 4350 since I couldn't find H4350....which I bought because I couldn't find IMR4350.
For the heavier bullets like 140grain I think H4831sc is the way to go. It is not hard to find now.
If interested my latest best loads with Accurate 4350 is 42 grain with the Speer HC 140.

Oh lastly, not sure how long you have had the A-bolt and if it is wood or synthetic. I loved the skinny feel of the factory synthetic but it kicked hard for a 260 so I swapped the pad. It was still not consistent and I found it was very finicky about where you rested the stock. I swapped it out for a Bell and Carlson stock and first time at the range got a 3 shot one hole group and an offer from the guy next to me to buy the rifle. Recoil was drastically cut too.

I did one other mod and that was to buy the Timney (if I recall) trigger spring replacement kit. Two springs- take your pick. I replaced the factory spring- took about two full minutes and adjusted. Super crisp light trigger now. Worth it.

Got a nice rubber sling that makes carrying it a breeze. S&K mounts, which I think are the most attractive, for my Vx3. Love the way the magazine box works , the 60° bolt throw, tang safety and crisp trigger. I know your die hard Alaskan bush people hate this rig but it suits me and my climates to a 'T".

Don’t let people fool you, I know and have hunted with a few Alaskans that carry an A-bolt or x-Bolt up here. Bought my oldest an X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC for Christmas in 21, nice shooting rig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hudge

Don’t let people fool you, I know and have hunted with a few Alaskans that carry an A-bolt or x-Bolt up here. Bought my oldest an X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC for Christmas in 21, nice shooting rig.

Nice to know. You want to tell Stick or should I? LOL

. Confucius
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Houser52
Anyone have an accurate load for the 129 grain SST? Id like to use it as a coyote/deer load out of my Savage 260.

As much as I wanted to use the 129 grain Hornady IL I couldn't get it to group any better than 1 1/2" out of my 260. The 123 gr. SST shoots around 3/4" but I've read it's not recommended for deer out of a 260. Works great on coyotes. The Nosler and Sierra 120s are not to be found but I did order 200 of the 129 SST to try.

Any opinions/ loads on the 129 SST would be appreciated.

Shot them accurately out of two of my Tikka 260s. They worked as expected, killed everything I shot with it but were quite frangible and always made a mess, destroying more meat than I preferred and NEVER had an exit on 10+ kills. All shots under 100 yards, lungs, ribs, heart, shoulder...and neck shot at 30 yards. Never an exit.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
out of my Ruger 260s for hunting, I have always used the Hornady 129 and 140 grain SP bullets, running at 2750 from a 22 inch barrel, using 44 grains of IMR 4350....Every deer I've hit with them, sort of expired right there....

I've ran the 100 grain SP, that in their "infinite wisdom" decided to quit making. 43.5 grains of 4064, had them running at 3350 fps MV...from 100 to 400 yds, when it hit the deer, they went down on the spot, even at 300 and 400 yds ( which I was using the hood of a Friends F250 4WD ) when the shots were taken...

The other bullets I've been able to rely on for instant knock down have been 100 and 120 grain Ballistic Tips. They worked better than the 100 grain Partition... The 260 has never failed me, or even thought about failing me.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge

Nice to know. You want to tell Stick or should I? LOL

He can figure it out himself! 😂

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
out of my Ruger 260s for hunting, I have always used the Hornady 129 and 140 grain SP bullets, running at 2750 from a 22 inch barrel, using 44 grains of IMR 4350....Every deer I've hit with them, sort of expired right there....

I've ran the 100 grain SP, that in their "infinite wisdom" decided to quit making. 43.5 grains of 4064, had them running at 3350 fps MV...from 100 to 400 yds, when it hit the deer, they went down on the spot, even at 300 and 400 yds ( which I was using the hood of a Friends F250 4WD ) when the shots were taken...

The other bullets I've been able to rely on for instant knock down have been 100 and 120 grain Ballistic Tips. They worked better than the 100 grain Partition... The 260 has never failed me, or even thought about failing me.

Liked reading this. Got a mod 700 in being rebarreled to 260 right now. First load I'm gonna try are 129gr Hornady SP's using RL-19 powder. Also have two more 6.5's a 6.5x55 and 6.5x06 and in both of them I use 140gr bullet's Speer Hot Core in the 6.5x55 and Hornady SP's in the 6.5x06. The 6.5x06 doesn't like the Speer Hot Core and loves the Hornady SP. Want to dedicate the 260 to the 130gr class bullet's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Did anybody have any luck with the 120 E-tip bullets in the 260? My Ruger M77 has a 1:8.5 twist, I assume they will work because I had shot the 140 Accubond out of the gun before. I ordered some from SPS 2 days ago, I am hoping to get them to 2850 fps or so. The tests I have seen indicate they should expand well down to 2k fps, or 450-500 yard range.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to try some 142-grain LRABs in my large-framed guns. The 142s are available as blems from SPS right now and not a bad price. I figured WTH and laid in a bunch for hog killing.

Looking over my powder selection, Re26 was sitting there and I have no solid plan for it and QuickLOAD was telling me it has the best velocity potential for the list of powders I have on hand (in abundance---don't want to shop for any more!). So, I loaded up three of each charge a couple of weeks ago:

45.8 / Re26
46.1 / Re26
46.4 / Re26
46.7 / Re26
47.0 / Re26

Shot this morning. Conditions were great. Only bad thing was I forgot to grab a magazine and had to single load each round. PITA, but results look promising...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The last shot was just a check for the round I've been hunting with---that's a 120-grain Ballistic Tip running at about 2800. I wanted to see if my junky old Weaver Super Slam was holding zero.

So...it looked like 46.7 to 47.0 was tightening up, so I'm going to shoot five each of 47.2, 47.4, 47.6, and 47.8 to see if there's accuracy in there somewhere. If I can get the kind of accuracy 46.4 was showing and another 60 to 100 fps, why not? The 46.4 load is kinda loafing a bit at 2560 outa my 20-inch barrel and I'd like more if I can have it. If not, then I'll live with 2560 and the hogs won't. I may end up sticking with the 46.4-grain load simply because it's already beginning to compress the power at that point. Don't need bullets creeping up outa the necks as I lay in bed asleep at night. We'll see.

I'm really liking the .260 out of an AR. wish I'd gone that direction a long time ago!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
River Rider, nice to see the trending of your first three loads definitely telling you something. I went through such frustration trying to get 85 grain Speers to work with Accurate 4350 in my 6mm. Heard Bergers (hybrids) were easy to load since I couldn't find my old faithful Sierra's. Loaded up a few with H4350 an instantly got nice groups. Of course the question is do I really want to hunt with them? Always something isn't it?

Guess the moral is that should learn is stick with what works and trust my own results. This whole shortages period really threw me off but I am getting back to here I should be finally.

Your loads ought to be pleasant to shoot and give you flexibility to use other standard cup n cores to great effect. I role with lighter loads and those 'fragile' Sierra's typically and it is a good match for my distances.

. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
45.5 grains of H4831 SC with a 140 Nosler Partition @ 2.780 shoot 1/2" groups in my Sako 85 Finnlite

Well, my .260 Rem likes a very similar load, but the bullet is a 140 gr. Speer Hot-cor. Shot it to confirm last week and got a 3/4” group at 100 yards.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I cant tell you what the speed is, but I get real good accuracy, under 1/2", using 46.5gr H4350 and 120gr NBT in my .260 Rem.

H4350, one of my favorite powder's. What doesn't it shoot well in? Can't find any for quite a while. Just got my 260 and going to use RL-19 in it. Have had good luck with it. Have most of 2 jugs of it left. Sure miss my H4350 though!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I cant tell you what the speed is, but I get real good accuracy, under 1/2", using 46.5gr H4350 and 120gr NBT in my .260 Rem.

H4350, one of my favorite powder's. What doesn't it shoot well in? Can't find any for quite a while. Just got my 260 and going to use RL-19 in it. Have had good luck with it. Have most of 2 jugs of it left. Sure miss my H4350 though!

When I first started reloading, the very first loads I did up for my .260 was using RL19. My dumbass at the time didn’t take notes, and I got my best ever group with that rifle, but for the life of me haven’t been a let to replicate it.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/10/23.
N
N
[Linked Image]

I just fired these 127g barnes a few days ago with 42.5G of H4350. I have previously tried 129 IL, but I never could group them like I wanted. I made up 2 more loads of the barnes, one at 42.2, and the other at 42.8. 42.8 looks to be about as high as the case will hold with these particular bullets. We'll see how they group on Monday.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by NickyBash
[Linked Image]

I just fired these 127g barnes a few days ago with 42.5G of H4350. I have previously tried 129 IL, but I never could group them like I wanted. I made up 2 more loads of the barnes, one at 42.2, and the other at 42.8. 42.8 looks to be about as high as the case will hold with these particular bullets. We'll see how they group on Monday.
That's 4 dead dear right there. Looking good.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.