The attack, is on The American Way.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The American way being to cover yourself up to the eyes in auto, homeowner and consumer debt?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The American way being to cover yourself up to the eyes in auto, homeowner and consumer debt?

You think it’s going to be any better when you have to rent in perpetuity everything you now own? No, you will be an actual slave at that point instead of a mere debt slave.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No, Big James, and I think you're just looking for trouble. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by KFWA
I think its a major concern for automobile makers in the future.

why would you want to own a car when there is an autonomous automobile fleet out there, you type in an address on your phone and a car shows up a few minutes later to take you wherever you want to go. It automatically chooses the most efficient route. You can scroll tinder or sports or whatever on your phone and not even pay attention until it gets you to your destination.

like the article says, our automobiles sit 95% of the time but we pay for them 100% of the time. In reality, a small number of cars could serve a very large community.

its a world that is foreign to us now but its coming.
I don't think so.

I want MY car in my garage at any moment I decide to go any where I choose to go.

I do not want to wait 30 minutes or an hour for the next available car to come and get me, make me late for work, or extend my day by making me late to get home.

There is no way in hell a person could hire a car for a twenty or thirty mile commute, five or six days/week cheaper than buying one. Let alone evening trips to the market or hardware store. Should we even discuss taking the boat, atv, or camper to the lake or hunting camp?

I do not pay for my car by the hour while it sits in the garage. It is miles on the road which burns fuel, wears tires, necessitates oil changes, and wears on mechanical components.

Fugg a bunch of commies!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look on the bright side of this, kids.

In the large cities, car sharing actually makes sense. Driving is "generic." Low speed limits, point to point, not like you can squeeze a 911 and get anything out of it but a summons. Okay, so now all the city people are sharing.

Or there's autonomous E-cars or something, which again makes sense as city roads could be packed with sensors and guidance technology and be a fine, safe way to get around.

Then

S H T F. Nobody has a car. Nobody can get their E-car charged. Nobody can get out and pillage the countryside. Problem solved, depending on the timing.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
I remember back 30 years or so ago when I was a kid and I had a go-cart.

It was some sort illegal act or road faux pas to ride it on city streets.

I grew up in a series of trailer parks and subdivisions. Dah-Dah was in the army, we didnt have 12,000 acres or a Little Debbie truck parked outside.

So anyway, I enjoyed no freedoms to ride my machine with risk of govt confiscation and penalties.

But ya know…now a days….I see fatfoucks and little punk kids with jiggly man titties bouncing up and down and hauling ASSSSSSS up and down state and county roads with no jack booted harrassment. “I gots me little orange thingie ons de back, Im untouchable “ whut in the fuuuuck.

A lot of us pioneers has to take the brunt of punishments, attacks by Indians and Karens and now it
/ easy and no big deal for fleshy fat foucks in their 31,000$ kubota four seater crew cab to run up to the market for Cünt Brothers pizza and Sonoma $3 ciggs.

They should get chased through fields and construction sites and dry creek beds by Deputy Cleatus like I had to put up with. Hide in the woods for 2 hours till fatfouck deputy got hungry and left. Some easy livin for these mfers today.
Come to Idaho, where the license plate on the back of every ATV allows them to be ridden/driven on any city or county road, and even state hiways within a few miles of the city limits.

By contrast, Oregon does not even allow ATV use on USFS roads.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

You think it’s going to be any better when you have to rent in perpetuity everything you now own? No, you will be an actual slave at that point instead of a mere debt slave.

That's nuts.

You are owned now by China and flashy plastic.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Some Americans buy 10 to 20 year old vehicles with < 100K on the clock and drive them until they are ready for the crusher. Have not had an auto loan, or need of comp/ collision in about thirty years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The arrogant poofter Brits are always trying to tell the world how to live.

They neglect to mention they have 55+ million people crammed onto an island about the size of Alabama with its 4.4+ million people.

NV is 1.17 the size of England. Try to share a car here.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Which variables does the government control that affect your ability to own a car if you want to?

Personal Property Tax

Sales Tax (even on used vehicles)

Imagine if we had to pay personal property tax on our guns, hand tools or fishing gear every year - would you still own what you do now?

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
[quote=smokepole]

Which variables does the government control that affect your ability to own a car if you want to?

WOW!! Where to start. Gubmint operators permit, gubmint vehicle registration, gubmint tax on vehicle, tax on every replacement part (double tax on tires), tax on transportation of the vehicle or part, tax on the labor to install or build, import tax. Gubmint tax on fuel (gas, diesel or LPG). Gubmint seat belt laws, gubmint traffic laws, gubmint age restrictions, gubmint competency requirements ...

The gubmint taxes anything they can, that's a given.

But which one of those prevents you from owning a vehicle?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by savage24

Personal Property Tax

Imagine if we had to pay personal property tax on our guns, hand tools or fishing gear every year - would you still own what you do now?

Yes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by savage24

Personal Property Tax

I did when I had my contracting business. Tangible Property Tax

ladders, compressors, trade tools, specialized equipment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can see it as an "attack on car ownership" or as a capitalism in action. Someone is seeing a market for a service and filling the void.

People who live in big cites don't necessarily need a car. The cost of parking a car in a place like NYC is prohibitive for some people who only would use it occasionally.

If there's an unmet need, someone will fill it and make money. Capitalism at work.

They already have Zip Cars in NYC! This is all about restricting your rights! If people don't see we are starting to go backwards pertaining liberties, they need to open their eyes!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Some Americans buy 10 to 20 year old vehicles with < 100K on the clock and drive them until they are ready for the crusher. Have not had an auto loan, or need of comp/ collision in about thirty years.

That's not the American Dream as defined by the central bank or Wall Street.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Come to Idaho, where the license plate on the back of every ATV allows them to be ridden/driven on any city or county road, and even state hiways within a few miles of the city limits.
Sort of. To ride it on any city or county road, you also need liability insurance plus all the lights and a horn.

The feds require all kinds of safety stuff on cars driven on public roads, the crash tests, etc. I've never heard of all that being required on OHV's but I'll bet its coming.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It isn’t a “concern” for auto manufacturers. It’s a future business model. Instead of making and selling 100 cars through dealers and all that they’ll make 20 cars and run their own ride sharing businesses. Instead of having dealers and all that rigamarole, they’ll do away with all the middlemen and the costs. Instead of having cars that are bought and eventually paid for, they’ll make cheap econo boxes for which the payments are never ending. You, instead of paying $700 a month for a car you own and can eventually pay out, will pay $500 a month in perpetuity directly to Ford, GM, or Toyota for the privilege of sharing one of those other cars with half the town. And of course, you’ll not have much choice because the only cars available to private individuals will cost $500k.

That way, we reduce the congestion and pollution while still allowing the rich to enjoy their convenience and freedom. You proles will have adjust your lifestyles accordingly.

Dude ^^^^ is onto something I think.

The shared car deal has been happening in some places for a long time. Someone mentioned the cost of having one in NYC. That's not the only place.

College towns, heck even the poor folks on my ID channel murder shows are always letting their friends use the community car. I think they're of the disposable type though. Bought cheap, run hard, leave in a field when it starts crapping out.

Uber and such got their starts for some of the reasons mentioned on this thread. Better to just pay someone for a ride when you need one. Take the subway or train if necessary at other times.

Next, they'll be after your tools. Can't tell you how many particular ones I own that haven't been used in a few months. Probably haven't used a 24" pipewrench in over a year.

The RICH oligarchs would likely prefer I just call one of their companies and have them send out a technician that they make a profit one, and let them use their pipewrench.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

That's not the American Dream as defined by the central bank or Wall Street.
The Central Scrutinizer would not approve.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
You can see it as an "attack on car ownership" or as a capitalism in action. Someone is seeing a market for a service and filling the void.

People who live in big cites don't necessarily need a car. The cost of parking a car in a place like NYC is prohibitive for some people who only would use it occasionally.

If there's an unmet need, someone will fill it and make money. Capitalism at work.

They already have Zip Cars in NYC! This is all about restricting your rights! If people don't see we are starting to go backwards pertaining liberties, they need to open their eyes!

How is the "World Economic Forum" going to restrict my rights?

Be specific please.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
832 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 3,256 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,301
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.