Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anyone else out in the hot and sweaty months? This farmer lost 75 acres of beans on his first planting. The state says that 30 deer need to be removed. Five shots, five down so far. 2 with the 308, 2 with the 6.5 PRC(both Tikkas), and 1 with the Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel. The 120 grain ELDM over CFE223 works like a champ. Looking for an opportunity this morning with the 6mm Creedmoor(103 ELDX)

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do you get to butcher them? Years ago our department would issue depredation permits if you met the criteria but the deer had to be left to rot.

It’s been so hot here they’d be cooked before you could get to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Do you get to butcher them? Years ago our department would issue depredation permits if you met the criteria but the deer had to be left to rot.

I'm not sure about Kentucky now, but when I was shooting them under the crop damage law, they had to be left where they fell. Most of the farmers I knew did not want them left in the field, because it left a carcass that they'd have to deal with when then combined the beans, and also because the buzzards would beat down a lot of beans when they were feasting on the deer. A lot of the farmers that were shooting the deer under the crop damage law would use a 22, or just gut shoot them with a bigger rifle, where they would run out of the fields before they died. I know that sounds cruel, but that's just how it happened.

I knew one farmer who was losing a lot of crop to the deer, and he decided to lease his farms out to some hunters in the hopes that they'd reduce the deer population. He told them to kill deer, and lots of them too. Instead, the hunters were only interested in big bucks and wouldn't shoot anything that didn't have a big rack. They then got mad when the farmer went back to shooting the deer himself, because they weren't killing enough of them.

I have too many does here on my place, and they do eat quite a bit of the beans and corn. I have one small corn field that they absolutely ruined by eating the top out of the plant, and it is not worth combining. However, I am reluctant to start shooting them, even though I probably need to.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

I get the back straps and hind quarters. These can be kept for consumption. As said above, you gotta get to them quick and get the meat on ice.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In Colorado,as long as CPW gives out vouchers to the farmer, you do not let them rot in the field

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/27/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks fun Longshot!

We used to shoot a lot of deer on damage permits when we still crop farmed. I still get my name on the damage tags my inlaws get. A soybean and corn fed deer certainly tasts better than a mountain deer in November!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
We had depredation permits on our farms. Ride around with a spotlight and zap one out of each field. Come back in 20 min and repeat.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shoot them. I also take the meat. They don’t need to be left in the field and I’m not gut shooting to run off and die…edit to say on purpose. It is common to do so and perfectly legal. I just don’t do it that way. I “think” it’s legal here now to take the meat but certainly don’t have to. The dates numbers and sex is all I’ve been instructed about.

Last edited by Kaleb; 07/27/22.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Got one with the 6 Creedmoor this morning. About perfect conditions. No wind, calm, broadside shot on a feeding doe. 650 yards. Center punched the lungs. It's nice when you see all the practice at the range pay off!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do you guys shoot does that have fawns with them? Not judging but I’ve been offered permits to fill and won’t do it before mid September so the fawns have a fighting chance. That’s just my opinion.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I mostly shoot the smaller does. More tender and easier to drag. That will cause me to shoot a little buck from time to time. It does keep me from shooting the doe with fawns. I don’t shoot them with fawns during season either. Guess I’m getting soft…lol. Like you said no judging from me either I just don’t do it anymore.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was on active duty I had a buddy whose grandparents had a farm up on the Blue Ridge. We did some depredation hunts and turned the deer over to the game dept who gave them to the needy. My high take was 13 in one day and after gutting and skinning them I decided that was too many to fool with at one time.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My step Grandfather owned a large farm in PENN and would often shoot deer for crop damage. He would only shoot one at a time and kept all the meat that he could just like in regular deer season.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

That's the law here in f**ked up New Jersey as well. And down here in the southern end of the State, where it's still largely agricultural, they do a lot of damage.
Stupid and wasteful law.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It’s piss poor wildlife management when a game department decides to treat a valuable resource as a nuisance. Here in New York it is commonplace, and we have the deer herd to prove it. I don’t know of any out of staters who travel here to hunt, with a few exceptions to the Adirondacks. And they are going there for the seclusion and scenery, not necessarily the abundance of deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to be ask to gut them and get them to a place a Possum Cop could
pick them up. Farmer could eat them, but not give them away.
Only PGC could.

Lead to a lot of BS.

Those old farmers were no BS guys, their help was underpaid and they
knew it. Often really poor people. So the farmer left them shoot deer
for meat. Take it home and take care of it.
Several problems solved, as simply as possible.

Then the Wardens got involved. Arresting the help.
Deer got gut shot, run over with tractors, one guy feed them
to his hogs. (Usually around 100/year. Anything he could shoot)

Another story of PGC,
heavy handedness, power hungry, stupidity.

There were easy ways to get it all inline,
But they only see ways to fine people.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bbassi
Do you guys shoot does that have fawns with them? Not judging but I’ve been offered permits to fill and won’t do it before mid September so the fawns have a fighting chance. That’s just my opinion.

I personally do not shoot does with fawns. There are plenty of young, single does that show up.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MAC
Back when I was on active duty I had a buddy whose grandparents had a farm up on the Blue Ridge. We did some depredation hunts and turned the deer over to the game dept who gave them to the needy. My high take was 13 in one day and after gutting and skinning them I decided that was too many to fool with at one time.

13?! You were busy for a while! 😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle who’s land borders our backyard has permits to take deer that are eating his pumpkins. I don’t know exactly how many permits he gets or how many he kills. I have heard rumors that a 22 and gut shots have occurred. We usually save our doe tags and hunt his place in alternate methods season to take out a few does to try and help.

CK
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, I never understood the logic of the powers that be not allowing the deer killed on those permits to be required to be left in the field…. I absolutely don’t agree with it. But I always complied because I didn’t want to cause trouble for the farmers that were getting the permits. I guess we could always just reintroduce wolves! That seems to have worked out well in other places. 🙄

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.