Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
We moved my daughter from Lubbock to Boulder.

My condolences to your daughter. I couldn't imagine living in Boulder, I just wouldn't mix well with the majority of the people up there. I'm sure she had a good reason to move there, lets hope she finds a better one to leave soon.

I currently live 35 miles West of Lamar, and grew up 45 miles Southeast of Limon. Colorado has sure forgotten about anyone that doesn't live on the front range or a ski town. I miss the old days when basically three counties didn't decide the fate if Colorado.

I spent the better part of a year in the Slaton/Lubbock area for work. Considered moving to Slaton, but we couldn't sell our house in Colorado Springs in 2012, and by 2014 I had promoted at work to a job that has me tied down in Southeastern Colorado for a few more years. Looking at Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas for retirement.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Did they put the 10 speed behind the 6.2, or just the 7.3?

You could get the 10 speed behind the 6.2L in the F350 only if you ordered it. That was in 20 or 21, not sure if it is still that way.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Assuming they fixed the lower end issues they were having with the 7.3 when they first came out?

Was that the ticking sound? That was addressed in 20 when they came out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was able to get a 7.3 F250 off the dealers lot in late December. It has the 3.55, CCSB, 4x4. I really don't need the 4x4, seems kind of silly in a truck that big. There are virtually NO 2wd trucks anywhere. I really don't need 4wd on the mean streets of SoCal. It is also Iconic silver which is usually a color only available on order and is $300 more than the standard colors. I recently checked the dealer where I bought it and they had NO new F250/350s on the lot. The 10 speed can be a little clunky at times but the downhill hold in tow/haul mode is amazing.
I made my decision based on the fact that I won't be towing more than 8500 lbs. and am only pulling 7200 right now. With the diesel being and $8000 upgrade and diesel being about a buck a gallon more, it was going to take a while to make up the difference. As was said, not even considering the maintenance upcharge and fuel additives etc. I also don't have to worry about fuel contamination at out of the way gas stations which we do from time to time. I haven't pulled the trailer since May so I would be paying the diesel premium for the occasional trip to HD and hauling a 220lb. dirt bike and gear. I can easily hit 80 with my trailer but am not real into that with a bumper pull trailer. I've seen short periods of 17 MPG but it's hard to get a nice long run like that in SoCal. I did see 19 once at 60, on a slight down grade for about 3 miles. (I might have had a tailwind too) I did see 6.7 in a 35 mph headwind. Imagine having to accelerate going downhill to maintain 60 mph.
I'm very happy so far with my truck though I only have 7700 miles on it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I believe they are putting the 10sp in all of the SD trucks now. Our new F350s at work are stripped down XLs and they have the 6.2/10sp.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm somewhat of a fan of the 10 speeds, but haven't had mine long enough to have any trouble. I realized that on the diesel, first gear in the 10-speed was close to a granny gear and then gearing went up from there so I ordered a 3.31 rear and haven't regretted it in any way. It effortlessly pulls everything I hook onto it. Haven't driven one, but I would think a 10-speed would keep a 6.2 or 7.3 on the boil even with a 3.55 rear.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
We moved my daughter from Lubbock to Boulder.

My condolences to your daughter. I couldn't imagine living in Boulder, I just wouldn't mix well with the majority of the people up there. I'm sure she had a good reason to move there, lets hope she finds a better one to leave soon.

I currently live 35 miles West of Lamar, and grew up 45 miles Southeast of Limon. Colorado has sure forgotten about anyone that doesn't live on the front range or a ski town. I miss the old days when basically three counties didn't decide the fate if Colorado.

I spent the better part of a year in the Slaton/Lubbock area for work. Considered moving to Slaton, but we couldn't sell our house in Colorado Springs in 2012, and by 2014 I had promoted at work to a job that has me tied down in Southeastern Colorado for a few more years. Looking at Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas for retirement.

She's there for grad school.

I'm probably related in some way or another to 25% of the people in Slaton! Maybe an exaggeration, but not by much.

Sorry to hear what has happened to the politics of your state. Eastern CO reminds me of the towns I grew up around in the TX Panhandle when they had water to grow corn.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/01/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
I believe they are putting the 10sp in all of the SD trucks now. Our new F350s at work are stripped down XLs and they have the 6.2/10sp.
That's good, why wouldn't they?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by TheKid
That's good, why wouldn't they?
I see no reason why they wouldn’t but another poster asked if the 6.2 could be had with the 10sp.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was at the local Ford dealer this morning having my f-150 serviced. As I left I drove thru the new vehicle lot. Spotted a f-350 Tremor model 78k had the 7.3l gas engine. Looked at the dealer sheet on it and noticed it was marked sold. Normal f-150 work trucks were 47k....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ttpoz
I drove Dodge diesels for about 20 years. I had 2 3/4 tons and a 1 ton dually. Mostly I run empty but also do a fair amount of pulling horse trailers and hauling hay. I also towed tractors and equipment. Loved the diesels. A few years ago I got rid of a couple horses, downsized to a 3 horse trailer and got a smaller hay trailer (20' bumper pull). I also went from a diesel truck to a 2016 F250 crewcab with the 6.2 gasser. I have 170,000 miles on the Ford. The 6.2 has been totally trouble free and I intend to run it for at least another 100,000 miles. Gas mileage is 12-18 (empty) depending on how heavy your foot is and what direction the wind is blowing. Put a load on the truck and the mileage craters (7-10 mpg). Earlier this summer I made a 2,000 mile trip with a fairly light camper and averaged a little over 9 mpg mostly running interstate highways. Ive made a number of trips with a large (heavy) overhead camper and dragging 3 horses over Togwotee Pass - mileage was about 7.

I think you'll like a gasser when your running empty. I know many disagree but I prefer the lighter gas engine crawling around in the hills. On the other hand, you'll miss the diesel torque anytime you hook onto a trailer. A gasser will get you where you're going but it'll work much harder to do it. You'll spend lotsa time looking at a tachometer pointing at 4000 RPMs. You'll feel like there is a bumble bee in a mason jar under the hood.

Diesel? Gasser? Its a trade-off. The 7.3 gas might be a viable compromise.

The Ford 7.3 gas does not spend all its time at 4,000 rpm pulling a load, it makes a lot of power down low.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a 2022 F250 Tremor with the 7.3 gas. It runs a 4:30 with gas and the Tremor package.
I’ve had a couple diesels but decided I don’t really need one anymore. Looking for a new travel trailer now and will be less than 12k. Rated for 15k bumper pull.
It really likes going to the gas station but it sure is fun to drive.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buddy just bought an F-450 w/7.3l and a steel flatbed and is pulling 20,000lb trailer loads. Said it’s no diesel but no issues other than fuel mileage, but no emissions BS, DEF etc…

Last edited by jackmountain; 08/17/22.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have one and pulled a 34’ camper trailer with it. I never wanted for a diesel and I went from south Mississippi to Maine and back.

Life changes causing me to get rid of mine now, but if it were a need I’d buy it again.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
what is it?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Huntsman, I pull a 24’ stock trailer loaded with calf’s, probably about 18 head avg. @ 575# a piece, trailer weighs 6,500 empty with a 3/4 ton 6.2 flatbed and cake box on truck, 60 miles to SaleBarn and a lot of hills, it does OK . I prefer my Dodge Diesel by far with deleted 6.7, by my Ford 6.2 will do the job, guys with new 7.3 say you can’t even tell you have a load behind ya, and they were all 6.2 Ford guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drove Tundras from 2008 till now. Very dependable but gas hogs for what they were and not terribly strong.

Just picked up this 7.3 gasser Tuesday after ordering it on Feb 4th. Dealer in Iowa has sold them all year at 2% under invoice out the door. This one is a fully loaded Lariat 4x4 and was under $58,000. The long drive home it averaged 16.1 mpg. Very impressive power and comfort. Hoping it will hold up well for us. In this market, the only way to get a decent price is to order and wait 6-8 months. That price was around $9,000 under current MSRP.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
what is it?
2021 F250 crew cab 4x4 with 7.3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not to change anyone's mind, but the common thing I see in this thread is people with gassers are getting about 14mg empty and 7-9 hauling loads.

It is not a Ford,but my 18Chevy 2500HD Duramax gets 23 empty running 80 mph and 14 mpg with a total load of about 17,000 pounds (truck, camper, 3 horse bumper pull, animals,tack, feed ,40gal of water) running 60-65 mph.

That is about double what the gassers are claiming. With gas at $4 /gal (maybe a tad less) and diesel at a tad less than $5 a gal. That is false economy to think you are saving money. You get about a 20% cost saving on the gas, but almost a 50% loss in mileage

Realizing of course the higher initial price of the diesel and more cost in maintenance. But a large increase in pulling capability.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not to change anyone's mind, but the common thing I see in this thread is people with gassers are getting about 14mg empty and 7-9 hauling loads.

It is not a Ford,but my 18Chevy 2500HD Duramax gets 23 empty running 80 mph and 14 mpg with a total load of about 17,000 pounds (truck, camper, 3 horse bumper pull, animals,tack, feed ,40gal of water) running 60-65 mph.

That is about double what the gassers are claiming. With gas at $4 /gal (maybe a tad less) and diesel at a tad less than $5 a gal. That is false economy to think you are saving money. You get about a 20% cost saving on the gas, but almost a 50% loss in mileage

Realizing of course the higher initial price of the diesel and more cost in maintenance. But a large increase in pulling capability.

If you want to compare, compare apples to apples.

Cost of def?
Increased cost of maintenance on a diesel for oil changes? Etc…?
Initial cost of Diesel engine is $10k minimum over a gas burner.

I don’t know all the answers, and each person must weigh their options. Just make sure you compare all the details.

It seems the diesels hold their values, but even repairing injectors and such is extremely expensive.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.