Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Only worked in various locations in Alaska and didn't actually "see" it or experiance it as it was 100% work. Grew up in Idaho and live here now. Unfortunately it's very crowded and basically annexed by Washington and California. I freaking hate it. I hate the ATV and RV people who come here and hate the hoardes of non res hunters and hate the crime and drug abuse. Question is now where do I go? Maybe Siberia?

Don’t blame you for hating it, but a lot of that is probably more about the times we live in rather than the place. Drugs are a scourge everywhere, and selfish people make life miserable for everyone they encounter. No doubt your state courts those outside dollars too, at the expense of residents.

You need not worry about me coming there and pooping in your punchbowl. I could stay right here in WV for the rest of my life and be perfectly content. Plenty to do and see, and room to breathe.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We came to AK on military orders in Dec. 2011. I retired in 2018 after getting a High School Sr. Deferment for my oldest. The wife got her grad degree from UAA in 2014 and we moved to Wasilla 2 weeks later. I can’t retire again until Dec. 31. 2037, so we are here until then. The wife would love to move closer to her sister in FL, but I say not until we retire are we moving again. I love Alaska, but after back surgery in 2017, my body hates the cold weather now. I’m still going to suck it up until I retire for good though. Too many hunts and fishing trips from now until then to make.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lived in Alaska for well over 30 years and we left in 2012. Do we miss it? Of course. But IMO it is a state for younger people in good physical health. The cold hard facts are it is expensive, health care can be challenging, and it’s a goat rope to fly out of.
We talk about moving back but doubt it will happen. Getting accustomed to being able to drive anywhere we want on a moment’s notice. A few months ago wife and I were discussing the move and we both agreed if our current property ever sold for a certain price we would do it. Now we find ourself in a position where our property is worth far more than what the trigger point was.
If we could swing a nice house on the Kenai and the ability to fly out for 2 weeks every month during the winter and access a RV in the lower 48 it would sway us to move.
Otherwise we have gotten spoiled/soft. We walk to the deer stand when we want, shoot off the back porch, and can fish year around. Earlier this year a one days drive got us to a charter in the gulf for Tuna.
Our son and his wife were born in Alaska and they talk about moving back. We encourage it because we would visit all summer long:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WMR
[quote=Tsavo

I think I know what is coming and pray for you SourDoughs who will stick it out. TS

WE WILL ALL NEED PRAYERS FOR WHAT IS COMING.

Ok, I gotta ask, based on your post. What is "coming" that AK residents have to watch out for?[/quote]

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear spray : gives one just enough time to figure out the wind direction.

A 450 Alaskan-on a pre-war M-71 gives the bear just enough time to realize
he should have gone the other way and not pushed it.

Interior: 78 miles N of Denali, 44 miles SW of Nenana- miles S of Wien Lake.
Moose, bear, wolves and lots of bushveld-with some permafrost, blueberries , spruce hen and SS hare.

Lots of what the 1890s inter-mountain lone wolves in the West called the high lonesome.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
I fell on the sword and did a 1-year tour in Korea to comeback to Alaska. 2008 pcs'ed up here with my family to Ft Richardson, 2013 got my marching orders out of here left Dec 2013 it was a sad day. PCS'ed to Fort Carson, Colorado, everyone oh you will love it is almost like Alaska. We get there and I'm like just like Alaska?? Where's all the trees at? My wife and daughter made it a whopping 10 months before they rang the bell and said we are going back to Alaska. So loaded them up with a U-haul trailer in tow October 2014 drove back up to Alaska. I'm still at Carson, 2016 I call my branch manager asking about Alaska he goes I have nothing for Alaska, but I do have Korea. I go, if I go to Korea can I get back to Alaska, he said he do whatever he had to do get me back to Alaska. I PCS to Korea Dec 21st 2016 (yes I flew to Korea on December 21st) Well, branch manager gets selected for sgm academy , the new branch manager is a good friend of mine. I call him, he goes I got you covered brother you will be put on assignment next week back to Alaska. I got back here Dec 2017, 4 days later I signed into Ft Richardson/JBER Dec 2020 I retired. I don't have plans to leave anytime soon.

I was at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antone when I got orders for Alaska. My report in date was December 16th. By the 20th I was at Site Summit for 18 months and moved back to Iowa in June 1976. I will be going to Anchorage on the 17th July for my first visit back since I left in '76. Meeting some old Site Summit friends for a mini reunion.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I feel for you. In 2013, we moved to this shidt hole state because of family. 18 years in AK.

Wife said she wants to bring the daughter up to see where she was born and all. Told her if I go, I'll only need a 1 way ticket.

Miss AK as much now as I did the day we flew out

I recall when you made the move, and asked myself "Why?" at the time.......I lived in Muskegon for many years and my Father was born at Kelly's corners a very long time ago when my Grandfather was the Fire Chief and Judge there......

I think AK was a better place to live!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by frogman43
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I feel for you. In 2013, we moved to this shidt hole state because of family. 18 years in AK.

Wife said she wants to bring the daughter up to see where she was born and all. Told her if I go, I'll only need a 1 way ticket.

Miss AK as much now as I did the day we flew out

I recall when you made the move, and asked myself "Why?" at the time.......I lived in Muskegon for many years and my Father was born at Kelly's corners a very long time ago when my Grandfather was the Fire Chief and Judge there......

I think AK was a better place to live!

Wish I could go back 10 years when we decided to move, I'd kick myself in the a$$ so hard I'd still be feeling.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Tsavo, Idaho is a great state the only problem I see are all the people from calif moving and taking their ideas with them

T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hydehunter, I wholeheartedly agree that Idaho has a whole lot going for it. Pray that us good souls can hold the line and turn the tide. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tsavo: Congratulations on the move making you happy/comfy!
If you like Idaho come on up/over to Montana sometime and I will buy you lunch/dinner and we can swap cop stories and I'll show you around SW Montana.
I did 29 years with a large west coast first class city's department.
Again enjoy your new surroundings.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
VarmintGuy, thank you for your service. Once I get settled here in Idaho and receive my household goods from Alaska, I’m going to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to meet up with some old friends for fall bird hunting and trout fishing.

I have no firm plans after that, everyday being a weekend and all. The wife and I plan on traveling in our RV just going wherever we feel. I’m going to visit some dog breeders in my search for a new bird dog and visit friends in Wyoming and Washington.

Thanks for the invite, I’ll definitely contact you if I happen to be in your neck of the woods.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Bear spray : gives one just enough time to figure out the wind direction.

A 450 Alaskan-on a pre-war M-71 gives the bear just enough time to realize
he should have gone the other way and not pushed it.

Interior: 78 miles N of Denali, 44 miles SW of Nenana- miles S of Wien Lake.
Moose, bear, wolves and lots of bushveld-with some permafrost, blueberries , spruce hen and SS hare.

Lots of what the 1890s inter-mountain lone wolves in the West called the high lonesome.
Got rid of the M-71 450 and have regretted it. I need another

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Family is a powerful draw. Spent 25 years in the GREAT State of Wyoming before retiring and moving back to my native Upper Peninsula of Michigan. As much as I miss the elk bugles I wouldn't trade them for the time I now spend with grand children, PRICELESS.

UP not too shabby of an area to be in. About as good as it gets that I've seen east of the Mississippi.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations on moving closer to family. A guy could do a lot worse than retiring to Idaho. I hope that your retirement is relaxing and the great times spent with your family are endless. I think that moving from Alaska to Idaho would be a lot less culturally shocking than moving from Alaska to most any other state, except maybe Wyoming or Montana. We thought real hard about moving to Idaho several years back but it’s not far enough away from liberal politics of California, Oregon and Washington. The disease of liberalism is at pandemic levels on the west coast and there’s no (legal) vaccine available. Idaho is a great state with great people which, for now, is about the only hedge against the insanity of the liberal agenda. Strong, like minded conservatives that coalesce to form an unwelcoming and impenetrable barrier to liberals and their diseased attitudes.

All my life I’ve been trying to find a way to drop out of society down here and start over with a simple and quiet existence up north. The same thing pulling you to Idaho is the same thing keeping me stuck down here…..family. Taking care of aging parents, raising great kids and my wife’s career…doing what she’s always wanted to do for the company she’s always wanted to do it for are my excuses. If it wasn’t for my dad who is living with my brother not far from us and her mom who is living with us we’d be cashing out our equity here and living comfortably in Alaska. I’ll keep dreaming and I’ll keep planning for the day I can break ties with Washington for good. Until that day comes I’ll continue to work on earning my place so that one day I’ll have the privilege of retiring to The Last Frontier.

I wish you many happy years of retirement filled with the love of family and the great memories that come from doing it right.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Welcome to Idaho! It’s not what it used to be but neither is Alaska. I left Alaska ~25 years ago and it almost broke me. I came to Idaho for school and found a second home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve heard the old saying something about…a kid born in Alaska spends the first 18 years of their life trying to get out of Alaska and they finally do, then they spend the rest of their life trying to figure out how to get back to Alaska and they never do.

Very true. The grass is always greener until it ain’t.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tsavo
Hydehunter, I wholeheartedly agree that Idaho has a whole lot going for it. Pray that us good souls can hold the line and turn the tide. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
Amen.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for your service in the great state of Alaska.
Welcome Idaho, great place to hang your hat. My wife has family there. It's always a great visit.

I have a friend who also retired from the Troopers. Only he moved to Florida. He's flipping houses in his spare time.

Well, that's what he says.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to Idaho!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

314 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.