Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17460546 07/27/22
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Guy at the range last evening, had one, let me take a few shots with it. I liked it. No recoil, I see Ruger has them cheaper than the F Ns, anybody have one? Thoughts on them! Good or bad.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot one magazine thru an FN about 20 years ago. and like you, I noted the lack of recoil and flat trajectory (compared to "normal" pistols), but otherwise, I was underwhelmed. Factory ballistics are about like a .22 Magnum out of a rifle.
It just wasn't something I could warm up to.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I was using a buds at the rifle pistol range. Hitting the steel 10” plate at 100 yards wasnt too difficult. It was fun to shoot! Ammo isnt cheap though, about $50 for a box of 50.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a Ruger pistol and a select-fire P-90 in 5.7x28. They both work fine for hunting down armadillo on my place.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a ruger pistol. It shoots really well (only 200 rounds downstream so far but no hiccups). It's just a range toy but very accurate. I put a high power scout scope on it to see what it would do off a bag and it shoots into 3 inches. Just barely the most accurate pistol I currently own. It's a lot closer to .223 performance than .22 mag despite the very popular comparisons. Fills a very narrow niche.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Probably not a bad tool to add to the box these days.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
40gr. V Max data from Hodgdon, using AA#7 6.1 1,679 43,200 PSI 6.8 1,880 48,200 PSI
Originally Posted by Geno67
I have a ruger pistol. It shoots really well (only 200 rounds downstream so far but no hiccups). It's just a range toy but very accurate. I put a high power scout scope on it to see what it would do off a bag and it shoots into 3 inches. Just barely the most accurate pistol I currently own. It's a lot closer to .223 performance than .22 mag despite the very popular comparisons. Fills a very narrow niche.

How, pray tell, is this data "closer to the .223 than the .22 Magnum". Inquiring minds would like to know.............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
40gr. V Max data from Hodgdon, using AA#7 6.1 1,679 43,200 PSI 6.8 1,880 48,200 PSI

How, pray tell, is this data "closer to the .223 than the .22 Magnum". Inquiring minds would like to know.............

Kinda curious about that also?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The ammo that made the 5.7's reputation are the 27 gr., non-expanding hollow points. They run about 2100 fps. out of a 5 inch gun. The 40 gr. Hornady V-Max stuff runs about 1740 fps. out of my gun.
All you need to do is shoot the 5 inch FN against a 5.5 inch Ruger in .22 Magnum Rimfire with 40 gr. ammo in each. The results are dramatic. Against a one gallon jug of water, the .22 rimfire mag. expands and penetrates, but does not swell the jug much. The 5.7 with the V-Max load blows the front half of the jug apart. The bullet fragments will be found at the back of the jug.
The 27 gr. loads are the kevlar penetrators. That bullet stays in one piece, but it tumbles after entering the jug. It also blows the front half of the jug apart. E

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had an itch for a 5.7 a few years back. The only thing was it is kind of a boutique round. Expensive and sometimes not available.

Anyhoo, I went a different route. Picked up a 6" KKM barrel in 357 Sig for my Glock 22. Then picked up some Underwood 65gr Extreme Defenders. This has more recoil than the 5.7, but it's not a hard kicker. Then I can swap barrels back to the more practical 40 or 9mm so the pistol is very versatile.

Chrono test,

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The ammo that made the 5.7's reputation are the 27 gr., non-expanding hollow points. They run about 2100 fps. out of a 5 inch gun. The 40 gr. Hornady V-Max stuff runs about 1740 fps. out of my gun.
All you need to do is shoot the 5 inch FN against a 5.5 inch Ruger in .22 Magnum Rimfire with 40 gr. ammo in each. The results are dramatic. Against a one gallon jug of water, the .22 rimfire mag. expands and penetrates, but does not swell the jug much. The 5.7 with the V-Max load blows the front half of the jug apart. The bullet fragments will be found at the back of the jug.
The 27 gr. loads are the kevlar penetrators. That bullet stays in one piece, but it tumbles after entering the jug. It also blows the front half of the jug apart. E
Agreed that the apples to oranges comparison of a 22 magnum rifle being almost as fast as a 5” barreled 5.7x28 chambered pistol makes no sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

It’s not really a fair comparison IMO as a 5” barreled .223 would be completely impractical but he’s talking about as chambered in that pistol both with 5” barrels not a rifle length barrel.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Was at a local shop today, they had a Ruger 5.7x28 brown, was a good looking pistol. Price was $749.00 no ammo tho. Not sure I'm going to need one, but different.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Agreed that the apples to oranges comparison of a 22 magnum rifle being almost as fast as a 5” barreled 5.7x28 chambered pistol makes no sense.

How is it nonsensical? The Hornady 40gr. V Max is traveling 1740fps out of your pistol, correct? Stated, published velocity of the 40gr. WMR is 1875fps, so how is that NOT comparable? Bullet differences aside, if anything, the ballistics of a WMR rifle are better than the 5.7x28. I fail to see how that "makes no sense". The numbers ain't lyin'.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

How is it nonsensical? The Hornady 40gr. V Max is traveling 1740fps out of your pistol, correct? Stated, published velocity of the 40gr. WMR is 1875fps, so how is that NOT comparable? Bullet differences aside, if anything, the ballistics of a WMR rifle are better than the 5.7x28. I fail to see how that "makes no sense". The numbers ain't lyin'.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

5.7x28mm ammo is proprietary to FN. it’s known that most (not all) is contractually down loaded to avoid the armor piercing stigma. More to the point you’re comparing a rifle length 22” barrel to a 5” pistol length barrel. A .308 Win with a 22” barrel will look a lot better than a standard 300 Win mag round much less a downloaded 300 Win mag round out of a pistol length 5” barrel. It’s absolutely apples to oranges and nonsensical.

For any kind of meaningful comparison you need to standardize on a barrel length for comparison and loaded to SAMI specs ammo. For a 5.7x28mm round chambered in a FN 57 with a 5” barrel which is suboptimal compared to the 10.5” P90 that it was built around you may as well be comparing a 308 Win with a 22” barrel to that 300 Win mag with a 5” or 10” barrel it’s the same thing. Slanted numbers.

To beat a dead horse. A 22 WMR has about twice the effective range as a 22 lr but if you compare the 22 lr chambered in a rifle with a 20” barrel to a 22 WMR chambered in a pistol with a 5” barrel they’re effectively the same because you tilted the scale and are giving up about 1000 fps when you chop the barrel of the WMR from 20” to 5”.

There aren’t many chamberings out there of similar bore diameter that given the several times longer barrel from 5” to 20” that won’t outrun the other. Yet 5.7x28 with a 5” barrel loaded to max SAMI specs and with a 5” barrel still outruns a WMR loaded to SAMI specs with a 20” barrel. If anything that’s an absolute exception to the rule.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All you have to do is shoot a hog or a jug of water with a 22 mag and then a 5.7. The difference is very apparent. Not using downloaded ammo - the 5.7 shines because of it's velocity so you have to use the fast stuff.

A hog will have no visible physical affect when hit with a 22 wmr and you have to put it in the brain pan to stop it. When shot with a 5.7, they act like you slapped the snot out of them and often times fall over from a body shot.

A jug of water has a hole in it from a 22 wmr - it explodes with the 5.7.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I checked a couple of places for ammo, one place had one box the other had8 box's, $44.99 and $46.99 same fed ammo. And both had pistols. I'm thinking of maybe swapping for one, or buying a used one!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They were really cool when ammo was $20-$25 a box.

At near $50 a box??? Not so cool.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The bullets themselves are a big difference compared to the 22 mag. I love the 22 mag and have for years. The Hornaday V-max is unlike anything available for the 22 mag. Then, when you step up to the 27 gr stuff in the 5.7 you really have a different animal. This bullet has no lead. It has an aluminum core and is designed to tumble inside a body, which really increases the internal damage. I may be wrong, but I believe the shooter at the Fort Hood military base a few years ago was using one of these. Several of the victims tried to charge him. None made it to him.

I'm pretty sure this handgun wasn't designed with 100 yard use in mind, although it is effective beyond typical 9mm range. The bullet designed by FN for the specific application in mind was designed to do its damage by tumbling, which is different than a typical HP defensive bullet. The military and some special law enforcement units use it with a bullet designed to penetrate some vests. Definitely not something available in the 22 mag.

Ballistics aren't the only thing at play here. Additionally, the 5.7 case design is definitely more reliable in an automatic firearm than is the 22 mag, as is the difference in primers used in each. In a defensive, or law enforcement, application, definitely not an apples to apples comparison. I know which I'd want.

YMMV,
M7

PS: the AE FMJ loads fro the 5.7 are crap. They could more legitimately be compared to the 22 mag.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW….. I a couple of 22wmr rifles that I like very much. They are reliable and accurate. One is my current “patio gun.” However, I have never found a 22wmr pistol that I used very much or even kept. Some 22wmr rifles were not as accurate nor as “functional” as I would like.

However, I found two keepers in 5.7x28….. one is a cmmg banshee pistol with a suppressor on it. Quiet, reasonably accurate, lightweight and utterly reliable. Pretty good truck/atv companion. Can ride under a towel or jacket on the seat beside me. One time I sat on my Polaris Ranger while talking at length with my Biden voting liberal animal loving neighbors…..had it under a towel on the seat. They never paid any attention to it….. Good.

The second is a DB 5.7 pistol. I really like it….. very reliable and very accurate for a “pistol.” I can fold it and it fits nicely in my soft sided briefcase. No one has ever asked about it…..has a holosun green dot on it. Carry the briefcase pretty much anywhere I care to. Could put it one of those little hydration back packs and bring into the grocery store if saw the need.

Both of these are not as quick to deploy as a pistol, but they both are better for me at anything over 15 yards.

I have not found any sort of 22wmr that is more convenient. These little pistols are also much lighter weight than any 9mm counterpart.

Yet, YMMV……

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.