24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was supposed to be two vz24s chopped and TIG welded for 6mmBR and 7mmSTW.
We are still waiting for me to finish that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Did you do the welding? Cool projects - I was going to go that way for a .250-3000 until I found a Kurz action😊👍.

PennDog

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have been over a grand a couple times. But never got crazy with wanting one that looked nicer than a model 70 super grade or something.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/25/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PennDog
Did you do the welding?

No.
The work was done by the late gunsmith, Randy Ketchum. So far my TIG welding has just been one Mauser trigger.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't think I'll be answering this question publicly... my wife might see it!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't even want to guess at the amount of labor dollars invested in this M98 1909 Argentno. Chambered in 204 Ruger, sleeved in an aluminum tube, lots of hand made stuff to make it all work smooth. Took about two years on and off to finish.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One Ragged Hole! The quest for accuracy continues.

Bob the nailer
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I can’t even bring myself to quantify the amount of money I spent on what was a favorite project of mine but what has now become a put in my stomach. Probably $6-7k?

It’s a really nicely customized Mexican SR 98 I bought here in 2008 and on which I paid as I went.

The pit in my stomach is because I sent the barreled action and a chunk of walnut with a check to a highly-regarded gunsmith in December of 2019 and was told it’d take 6 weeks to get the stock completed.

I check in with the guy once every 6-8 mon and never have any assurance that it’ll ever get done.

I’m done with this game all the guys I was comfortable working with have retired or died and I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not going to say what I spent on this faux Rigby in 275 by the time the rifle was finished.

I was going to have another built in 9.3x57, but bailed on that project after this one was finished.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
I can’t even bring myself to quantify the amount of money I spent on what was a favorite project of mine but what has now become a put in my stomach. Probably $6-7k?

It’s a really nicely customized Mexican SR 98 I bought here in 2008 and on which I paid as I went.

The pit in my stomach is because I sent the barreled action and a chunk of walnut with a check to a highly-regarded gunsmith in December of 2019 and was told it’d take 6 weeks to get the stock completed.

I check in with the guy once every 6-8 mon and never have any assurance that it’ll ever get done.

I’m done with this game all the guys I was comfortable working with have retired or died and I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head.

I can't imagine anyone even getting a good start on a complete job in just six weeks, I wouldn't even have the barrel on hand in that time!!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by efw

I can't imagine anyone even getting a good start on a complete job in just six weeks, I wouldn't even have the barrel on hand in that time!!

Note, this was only for stocking. No waiting on parts. Everything was supplied.

It is sad that there are so few real gunsmiths left in the game. Most all these days are simply parts swappers.

Eric, any chance he'll refund you and send your bbl'd action and blank back?

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by z1r
Eric, any chance he'll refund you and send your bbl'd action and blank back?

I am sure he would but I don’t have any idea who I’d send it to so I just hope for the best.

You offering bro?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jkob

Oh yeah I totally get that but as Mike said metal was all done this gentleman was just hired to do the stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll let ya know.............

I have a grand total of $275 in a synthetic-stocked Zastava Mauser rifle in .30-'06 that I bought years ago strictly as a donor action. IIRC, I sold the Swift scope that came on it for 50 bucks, so........there's where I start. I still have not decided what exactly I want to turn it into, so.............

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i am about to go down this road. my neighbor, who is moving, gave me a bubba'd 98 that - except for the incredibly rusted bore - has good bones. action is an oberndorf dated 1916, no rust, not even below the stock line. mismatched bolt that appears sound. same for trigger guard, also mismatched with slight guard ding. i am blessed to have a young bushcrafting friend who is a fine gunsmith. i'll take it to him next week to get a professional opinion, and discuss which way to go a new barrel/chambering, if everything is, indeed, sufficiently sound to continue. i'm 71. it'll be my last build, and will go to a son or grandchild some day ...

Last edited by fish30ought6; 03/15/23.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn’t spend so much $’s as hours on a Mauser project. Probably 4 or more times as much as a professional would have.

It seems to me that creating nice rifles from Mausers might indicate you have too much money.

Edit:

Making nice rifles from Mausers is like doing cocaine…

It’s God’s way of saying you have too much money.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/15/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
I didn’t spend so much $’s as hours on a Mauser project. Probably 4 or more times as much as a professional would have.

It seems to me that creating nice rifles from Mausers might indicate you have too much money.

Edit:

Making nice rifles from Mausers is like doing cocaine…

It’s God’s way of saying you have too much money.

Or, perhaps you just appreciate the finer things in life.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by z1r
Probably not the most but about average for a utility build. this one cost more because I actually had it checkered:

Started with a $50 Big 5 vz24
Had it heat treated,
26" Douglas CM barrel
$100 stock, heavily modified
Rust blued

Sold it to someone who REALLY wanted it many years later.

That is a really sweet VZ24. I don't build mausers, but have refinished a few and hunted some. If I run across one in the shop that is already done to my satisfaction, I'll buy it. Don't see too many really nice ones like that in my area though.

The last mauser rifle I bought was a factory H&R 340, chambered in 30-06. I have $385 into the rifle now, after selling the scope that was on it. I also glass bedded it and freefloated the barrel. Also had to fit and bed the scope mounts and of course add a red Pachmayr recoil pad for looks and comfort. That is the extent of working on this one:

She's definitely a shooter, after performing the customary work, I perform on all of my rifles:

While not "built", it's a good one. I'll let you guys build them. I'll just buy them when I run across them at stellar prices..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a nice find BSA, even nicer job of "refreshing" it. Like the Red pad much more than the original.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've spent more than I should've, and less than I should've, and the results on all occasions bore testimony of that in terms of quality. I swore off this folderol long ago, except in terms of single shots but we won't go there - sometimes I learn the hard way and sometimes not at all! Now, and if it don't beat all, I've embarked on another one which I swear will be my last, again. It's a Mauser, sort of, in that it's a Springfield '03: I couldn't resist a really late pre-war nickel steel receiver with matching bolt numbered to it (which letters with SRS as being a bonafide National Match rifle's receiver), a match grade Krieger blank which has been contoured/threaded to match the old NRA Sporter barrel profile, a beautiful pre-turned somewhat-inletted NRA Sporter stock, M70 butt plate and steel grip cap which came from Michael Petrov's estate, Lyman 48 (new in box) and Unertl scope blocks (which Springfield would attach for a couple bucks if the customer requested it). The kicker is it's a .224 barrel - to become which to me will be the ultimate .22 Hornet. Bolt face, extractor, and barrel breech modifications are tricky but coming along. Rather than pull out what little hair I have left in making it a repeater it shall remain a single shot - suits me as it'll strictly be used at the range and maybe some occasional groundhogs (none of which sit still for a second swipe if you miss with the first one).

Griffin&Howe in the early 30's, in order to keep their doors open during those lean early Depression years, had a service by which they would take a customer's NRA Sporter from the Armory and gussy it up for a modest fee - to include refining the stock shape a bit, adding a horn fore arm tip, M70 butt plate, checkering, etc. What I'm creating is as close an homage to those rifles that I can do. But, since I have more .30-06's than any sane man needs, I chose to make it a Hornet (even though I already have four Hornets too!). I theorize that if a well heeled sportsman would've approached G&H circa 1930-31 for them to convert his Springfield thusly they would've cheerfully done it, I suppose. Anyway, stay tuned......

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/15/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The most I ever spent on a "project" surplus build was on this 1909 Argentine. It ended up being a 9.3X62. Z1R helped me with a lot of it. I'll be forever grateful. I've spent more on custom Mauser builds but they were pre-planed builds.

Fresh from the pawn shop $75
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

After the ordeal was over with.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.