Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I refuse to ship anything of value without insurance any more. The question arose today on who is responsible for the insurance and/or claim. I would like to hear some different perspectives and logics.
I am of the opinion that if I sell someone something it is my responsibility to get them what they paid for. I always include the insurance and it is figured into my asking price. I have had one lost package and one heavily damaged package over the years. Because I am of the opinion I didn't deliver what they bought I refunded the money or paid for the repairs and settled (eventually) with UPS.
Others are of the opinion that once they drop the package off they have met their obligations and if the packages comes up missing or damaged the buyer is responsible to settle the claim and because the seller has no control over what happens in shipping they have met their obligation. Lets hear some opinions on the topic.

Last edited by 160user; 07/28/22.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I provide the insurance and did have to file a claim on a package that was delivered empty. Buyer said it looked like it had been cut open at a post office and goods taken out. There was USPS tape on the box that was not there when I shipped.

Peace of mind to me.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/28/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only insurance is great packing materials, packed accordingly with lots of 3m tape shipped 2-3 day or faster.

If a buyer wants it insured they can pay it.

I've only had one issue with a package of AR500 I sent to a member here. It didn't show so I sent him another set. The missing one showed up and he let me know and we squared up.

Last edited by Higginez; 07/28/22.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buyer can’t open a claim on a package they didn’t ship, only the seller can do that. I always ship insured with several pictures of the item packed securely and one of the taped up package on the shipping company’s counter with the shipping label applied to show the buyer the condition of the package when it left my possession.

Only ever had to file 2 claims and both were for items insured for over $2000 and got every dime of it due to my thorough pictures and packaging.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 160user
I am of the opinion that if I sell someone something it is my responsibility to get them what they paid for. I always include the insurance and it is figured into my asking price.

Anytime I sell an item I pay shipping and insurance and clearly state it in my ad. If there is a claim issue the claim can only be filed by the shipper.
I have been bit a couple of times by not stating that shipping only applies to the lower 48 and if shipping to Hawaii or Alaska that the shipping may have to be negotiated so that I do not end up eating too much of the cost of shipping.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The person who pays for insurance is the one who gets reimbursed if there is a loss

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've shipped a lot of stuff over the years with my real job, and legally (and depending on the agreement) If you sell it FOB where the buyer is, it's your responsibility. If you sell it where the buyer is responsible for shipping it's on him. You are responsible for what you specify. If you sell it FOB his address or FFL, then it's on your dime regardless. If you sell it from your place and they handle shipping, you should probably quote shipping and ask about insurance. I sold a guy on here a rifle and got insurance. When it got there (I saw the pictures) it looked like some postal worker slammed the door down on the rifle stock and broke it at the grip. Fortunately, like many on here, he was a good guy and had already ordered a custom stock which he wanted on the rifle. He said he knew the post master and would take care of the insurance. Hopefully he got enough to make him whole.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I bet those folks would sit still if Amazon or Cabelas said "Tough, it's your problem." It belongs to me until you take delivery, so it's on me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who endeavors to sell schit over the mail to strangers?

I would take up shuffleboard.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Buyer can’t open a claim on a package they didn’t ship, only the seller can do that.

Domestic Claims - The Basics - USPS.com

Who can file a domestic claim?

Either the person sending the mailpiece (Mailer) or the person receiving the mailpiece (Recipient) may file a claim for a damaged or missing article.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buyer can’t open a claim on a package they didn’t ship, only the seller can do that.

Originally Posted by drover
If there is a claim issue the claim can only be filed by the shipper.

If it's USPS, either sender or recipient can file. At least according to their website.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. I appreciate the opinions. To me a deal isn't finished until the buyer got the merchandise they were expecting and it was to their satisfaction.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There’s probably valid points either way but my opinion is that the shipper should insure it given that it’s basically the industry standard. I’ve bought a number of guns from a top 100 Gunbroker seller that expects the buyer to cover insurance. Every sale has been flawless with reasonable rates and great communication so I’ll continue buying from him. IMO it still makes more business sense for the seller to factor in the few bucks cost rather than appear to nickel and dime charging a fee that virtually no one else does.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Depends on the value of the shipped item.
I try not to purchase from other than established businesses.
Primary Arms, PSA, Country Living, etc, etc.
Recently purchased some ammo from a 24CF poster.
I sent USPS money order. Recieved ammo about 4 days later!
Purchase was less that $40, so no major loss.
Thankfully, he kept his word. Good 'nuff!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
There’s probably valid points either way but my opinion is that the shipper should insure it given that it’s basically the industry standard. I’ve bought a number of guns from a top 100 Gunbroker seller that expects the buyer to cover insurance. Every sale has been flawless with reasonable rates and great communication so I’ll continue buying from him. IMO it still makes more business sense for the seller to factor in the few bucks cost rather than appear to nickel and dime charging a fee that virtually no one else does.

Thank you. I feel the same way, the insurance protects the SELLER.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 160user
I refuse to ship anything of value without insurance any more. The question arose today on who is responsible for the insurance and/or claim. I would like to hear some different perspectives and logics.
I am of the opinion that if I sell someone something it is my responsibility to get them what they paid for. I always include the insurance and it is figured into my asking price. I have had one lost package and one heavily damaged package over the years. Because I am of the opinion I didn't deliver what they bought I refunded the money or paid for the repairs and settled (eventually) with UPS.
Others are of the opinion that once they drop the package off they have met their obligations and if the packages comes up missing or damaged the buyer is responsible to settle the claim and because the seller has no control over what happens in shipping they have met their obligation. Lets hear some opinions on the topic.

I agree with you. Its yours until the new owner recieves it, in the condition stated. The buyer cannot get insurance etc. Its not his until he gets it in his hand. The seller is the person who describes it, packages it and needs to do things right to make sure it arrives undamaged. They are also the one who can buy the insurance. They can pass that cost on to to the buyer, but it is really protecting the seller, because the plays no part in it until he owns it, in his house, undamaged and as described.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Only ever had to file 2 claims and both were for items insured for over $2000 and got every dime of it due to my thorough pictures and packaging.

That is good to hear. I have always heard that it is nearly impossible to make a claim on the postal insurance.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tesoro
The person who pays for insurance is the one who gets reimbursed if there is a loss

You are 100% right, but the problem comes when a seller thinks its over when he drops it off at the post office. Some do not package well, or make it really obvious what is being shipped, etc. When the seller thinks its out of his hands at the post office, then he doesnt want to pay for insurance. The guy recieving it cant buy insurance or make a claim because he did not own, package or have the item shipped.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I pay for it when i drop the package off always have.

It protects both parties.

Sometimes it gets used.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lots of retailers say very clearly that they will not be responsible. I take their word for it and buy insurance for my stuff that would cause me heartache. IMO, it's the buyer's item once the seller has the money. The seller is shipping the buyer's item unless some other agreement was reached such as "to your door". Have surprisingly few problems. If you don't want limited to what's available locally, you roll the dice.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.