Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by frogman43
Yamaha......in 2001 at the PWT World Walleye Championship, I along with every other competitor, were required to keep our boats after hours at the Bismarck Civic parking lot where they had a fenced compound. We would back our boats in so that the fuel truck could drive down the center and refuel each night for us.

Every outboard maker had a support truck there and every night, when you looked down the row of boat's, it was ALWAYS the black motor hoods that were off, set on the ground, and technicians working on them so that the angler would have it for the next day. In fact, my Yamaha technician, Chad, was usually over helping the Merc techs repair their motors. I had lost my speedometer and went to the Yamaha support trailer to ask Chad to look at it, and had to go search for him. He was working on a Merc with his counterpart....he said to the other guy, " I'll be right back, this won't take long". He was right....I had a high speed strike of a piece of wood apparently and plugged off the tiny hole for the speedo....Chad had it cleared with a tiny drill bit in the drill in about 15 seconds. Talented man.

That being said, the Evinrude E-Tec Saltwater outboard I once owned was unbelievable! Never understood why Merc didn't utilize that technology over keeping the schitt they had.....

This mirrors what I saw at a major Bassmasters tournament a couple of years ago. The Mercury guys had a pretty extensive encampment set up and were busy every night, sometimes just replacing entire engines. There were a couple of Yamaha techs there, but they weren't too busy.

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm running a couple of 2 stroke Yamahas that have given exceptional service for around 20 years. I've slowed down a bit, but for most of that time I was on the water from ice-out to ice-up, 2 - 5 days a week.

Go down to the water and see what the guides, the crabbers and others are using.

Most of the 3rd world tourist areas I've been in, where parts and service are sketchy and reliability is very appreciated, the majority of the outboards you see are Yamaha.

I wouldn't consider anything but a Yamaha if I were buying a new outboard.
A lot of the popularity of Yamaha in third world countries has to do with Yamaha and Worldbank partnering to build Panga boats and make them easily available for fishermen to make a better go of making a living. I kinda wish we in USA could get the Enduro models sold in ROW because of simplicity. USA models are built to ridiculous emission standards and the service and parts chain is ridiculously expensive. The 2-stroke yamahas are becoming sought after due to supply issues with new 4-strokes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I'm running a couple of 2 stroke Yamahas that have given exceptional service for around 20 years. I've slowed down a bit, but for most of that time I was on the water from ice-out to ice-up, 2 - 5 days a week.

Go down to the water and see what the guides, the crabbers and others are using.

Most of the 3rd world tourist areas I've been in, where parts and service are sketchy and reliability is very appreciated, the majority of the outboards you see are Yamaha.

I wouldn't consider anything but a Yamaha if I were buying a new outboard.
A lot of the popularity of Yamaha in third world countries has to do with Yamaha and Worldbank partnering to build Panga boats and make them easily available for fishermen to make a better go of making a living. I kinda wish we in USA could get the Enduro models sold in ROW because of simplicity. USA models are built to ridiculous emission standards and the service and parts chain is ridiculously expensive. The 2-stroke yamahas are becoming sought after due to supply issues with new 4-strokes.

It would be really nice if we could get the Yamaha diesel outboards available in less-enlightened parts of the world.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never owned a 4 stroke anything or Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda so no insight there. I've owned 6 evinrude/johnsons (115-150), 1 tohatsu (70) and 2 mercury's (150). The mercs were garbage. I worked on them as often as I ran them. I've not had much in the way of problems with evinrude/johnson motors. No problems at all with the tohatsu. It ate props but that was the waterway I was working in, not the motor. University of Alabama research vessel Minerva on the Black Warrior River from Demopolis, AL to Franklin's Ferry, AL. About an even split between work boats and recreational craft.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
Mercury is leading the pack by a good margin. They spent a good deal on r&d and it paid off.

In a new 150-300hp I wouldn’t consider anything but a Merc. Small ob, get whatever you want
You guys need to keep up with stuff. It’s not 2000 or even 2015.

The v8 Merc 300 is better than the Yamaha 300. No contest.

The 200-225 v6 Merc is in a class of its own and has no peer. It will destroy the 200 Yamaha.

The 3.0 merc 150 is one hell of an engine and beats the 150 Yamaha in my opinion.

A number of people on here are offering their opinions on this and relating the experience their opinions are based on. What are you basing your opinion on?

About 20 years and thousands of guide days. 10s of thousands of hours. Owning multiple offshore boats.

I am not guessing or passing on second hand info.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a 1990 2 stroke 25 Johnson on my little boat. Have an Evinrude Etech 2 stroke 105 Jet on my big boat. Both have been flawless. On the big boat I would have gone Merc 2 stroke as a second choice. Yamahas are dogs with a jet pump by comparison.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mercury is leading the pack by a good margin. They spent a good deal on r&d and it paid off.

In a new 150-300hp I wouldn’t consider anything but a Merc. Small ob, get whatever you want

The 200-225 v6 Merc is in a class of its own and has no peer. It will destroy the 200 Yamaha.

The 3.0 merc 150 is one hell of an engine and beats the 150 Yamaha in my opinion.

A number of people on here are offering their opinions on this and relating the experience their opinions are based on. What are you basing your opinion on?

About 20 years and thousands of guide days. 10s of thousands of hours. Owning multiple offshore boats.

Fair enough…so help us out… what are the specific characteristics that make the Mercs better, which, I think, for most of us means dependability and longevity.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have a 1990 2 stroke 25 Johnson on my little boat. Have an Evinrude Etech 2 stroke 105 Jet on my big boat. Both have been flawless. On the big boat I would have gone Merc 2 stroke as a second choice. Yamahas are dogs with a jet pump by comparison.

You do realize that jet pumps are about 40% less efficient than a prop, right? It's not the Yamaha.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I

Nice to hear from you today Calvin. Thanks for the professional advise. We can argue all day . One will say one is junk and the other is the best. As for me, I had a 25 horse Merc I bought new in 1997. Not one problem ever and I run them enough. Must be good if it never not started in 25 yrs that I owned it and bought new. I did have a Johnson for 1 month and it stalled on my on the Mississippi River and lucky I got it going . The next time I needed a tow. So therefore all Johnsons are junk. As for me I am looking at a new boat . I will likely part with Merc because the 40, 50 and 60 are made in China, and I would rather have Japanese over Chinese any day. I hear the Yamaha 70 is an awsum motor. Do you hear about the 70vs 75? Only 5 horse difference but much different motors. I'm siding with the 70 for $400 less.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
788 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 3,181 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.