GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Inverter style all the way.
What’s the advantage of the inverter style?

The advantage is that the motor doesn't have to run at high speed to output 60 hz power (typically 3600 rpm). An inverter style can ramp the motor up and down with load. Electricity is produced AC, rectified to DC, stored in capacitors, and then converted back to AC electronically at 60 hz. A bit more complicated, but more efficient and quieter running.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
This is why we'll be speaking Chinese and eating rice in 20 years.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jerryv

The advantage is that the motor doesn't have to run at high speed to output 60 hz power (typically 3600 rpm). An inverter style can ramp the motor up and down with load. Electricity is produced AC, rectified to DC, stored in capacitors, and then converted back to AC electronically at 60 hz. A bit more complicated, but more efficient and quieter running.

Jerry

Inverters can also run in series

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just bought a westinghouse 2500 inverter on Ebay. So far so good. I did all the research and for my intermittent uses, this little guy is perfect. I'll probably pick up a larger dual fuel inverter for my cabin. I didn't find advantages to the Honda that closed the price gap for my uses. Ymmv.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The OP wrote, "But I only need one for portable work or maybe to run a freezer in a short power outage." That means he is not looking for a full-house, long duration power supply. Neither of his needs requires much over 1000 watts of power. Yes, a bit more is better so the unit does not run at max throttle all the time. Nor does he need the highest quality brand available.

I replied with what I thought met his needs and his request: a lower to mid-range inverter machine from Harbor Freight.

cv540, if we looked through your stuff, we wouldn't find a single item that's made in China?

I have become more aware of what I buy since China has become more obvious of what their intentions are. I have not knowing bought anything made in China in years, and bitch if I find my wife has.
It starts with us. We have the choice to use discretion when purchasing, especially if it is a larger ticket item that costs hundreds of dollars.
I cannot stomach the idea that in making a purchase I am financially supporting a Chinese government that I believe we will be at war with in my lifetime or my children's lifetime.

If you can justify doing it to save a few bucks that is your choice.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
This is why we'll be speaking Chinese and eating rice in 20 years.

EXCACTLY!

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard the Honda and Harbor Freight 2000 watt units running side by side several times in camps and on job sites and I honestly couldn't tell you which one was quieter. As far as function I didn't see any difference there either. If you have money to blow on something you may only use once or twice a year, get the Honda. If you want to save your money and get something that will work as well as the Honda and sit on the shelf just as well as the Honda the rest of the year, get the Harbor Freight or Champion unit. Even for heavier duty uses I would still consider the Harbor Freight equipment these days. Even their larger units are highly rated these days for way less than most of the competition...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jerry
won't burn up the circuit board on your appliances and electronics

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Jerry

Actually in parallel for more current capability if needed.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JD45
I've heard the small Honda is great, but I'd like opinions. My parents have a big Generac for long term if the family needs it. But I only need one for portable work or maybe to run a freezer in a short power outage

Harbor freight for the win.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Jerry

Also, the high-tech circuitry in virtually all modern-day household electronics -- TVs, stereos, ranges, refrigerators, deep freezers, computers, etc., etc., require 'clean' stable current which is what inverter generators provide vs non inverter generators which could cause unwanted problems including service calls, parts replacements or new equipment replacement altogether.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cv540
Exactly. That's why I suggested Harbor Freight. They may be Chinese, but they get very good reviews.

Why would you knowingly purchase something from, and promote other people to buy something from China? Do you have any doubt that China is trying to destroy our country?
You must not read labels on anything you own lol. Clutch those pearls harder. BTW it wasnt the Chinese who outsourced our industries and factories.

Anyway Ive heard good things about the Predator gens but I have also heard the new ones that have the CO detector shutoff arent as good as the pre-detector version.

If Predator had a dual fuel version I would have picked it up but I went with a Champion inverter dual fuel when I was looking. I'd rather run on propane than gas. I converted my big Generac to run on propane also with a $30 carb conversion via Amazon via China (most likely).

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Honda has long been recognzed as premier small generator with price to match.

I was shopping a while back, and unwilling to pay Honda prices. I ended up with two Generac 2200 inverter units with a parrallel box. I wanted them small and light enough to lift onto a 12 inch shelf behind my pickup bed mounted camper.

Not as cheap as Harbor Freight. Easier to handle than a single 4000 watt generator.

It will take the coupled pair to run the AC on either the camper or the 28 foot trailer, and I bet we will still have to turn off the AC before using the microwave.

First world problems.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBH
Originally Posted by cv540
Exactly. That's why I suggested Harbor Freight. They may be Chinese, but they get very good reviews.

Why would you knowingly purchase something from, and promote other people to buy something from China? Do you have any doubt that China is trying to destroy our country?
You must not read labels on anything you own lol. Clutch those pearls harder. BTW it wasnt the Chinese who outsourced our industries and factories.

Anyway Ive heard good things about the Predator gens but I have also heard the new ones that have the CO detector shutoff arent as good as the pre-detector version.

If Predator had a dual fuel version I would have picked it up but I went with a Champion inverter dual fuel when I was looking. I'd rather run on propane than gas. I converted my big Generac to run on propane also with a $30 carb conversion via Amazon via China (most likely).
I have the duel fuel inverter by Champion as well. I thought it was the best value on the market. Electric start is a bonus

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Honda got my money. I’ve got the same motor married to a transfer pump and it is one loud sob! Crazy how quiet they have made that little buzz box.

Screw China.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd rather have 2 or 3 less expensive Champion or Predator gensets than one Honda. Hondas are great, but not that much money great, for a generator I might use one every 3 or 4 years. I have a 4000 Watt Champion and a 2200 Watt Westinghouse inverter. They will keep our house going in an emergency, and won't break the bank. Another thing to think about is, if you get a large generator that can run everything, you have to feed it. Mine are large enough to keep us and our food in good shape for a decently small amount of fuel. I keep at least 20 gallons of gas in our shed and rotate it through the lawn tractor. That much gas will last long enough for about any power outage we will ever have.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought the Honda 2200i a couple of years ago. I have never needed it but once. My wife has needed it numerous times while I was away at work. She can carry it. Fuel it and start it. It works great. I considered the Harbor Freights but read the reviews and all of them don't run. They take them back and replace them. I wanted one that was bomb proof. I paid my money and got what I thought was the best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We installed a Predator 9500 (pure sine wave) up at our new mountain house on Roan Mountain a few months ago and have run the heck outta the thing several times since. Just returned from up there late yesterday.

We paid $1995.00 for it in January ... love it so much I went to buy another one this morning and they're up to $2395.00 so I held off for now but I'm probably going-back to get another one when they go back on sale.

The lesser model Honda is $5845.00 ...`fewer watts, lesser run time. Plus I can run two of the 9500s in series.

Hondas and Yamahas are very good but they've gotten too expensive. My electrical engineer Son-In-Law put it to me this way when we were setting up power at the new cabin. He observed that Hondas are still running strong 10, 15 and sometimes 20 years later ... and that these Predators are better than the 10, 15 and 20 year old Hondas so, return for the money ... given today's new Honda prices ... the Predators are a better investment.

This new Predator is amazingly quiet too.

I've got a diesel Lister-Peter that I put a gen set on (not inverted but we tune it to 60mz) ... got a couple of Briggs and Strattons, a Champion, they all still run. The Honda we used to use for tailgaiting I gave to my Son and it still runs great.

If you invest in good quality and maintain it, change the oil regularly, tune-ups, run it dry before storing it and don't leave bad gas in it, crank it up every once in awhile even when not needed, etc., ... they'll last longer. They'll last a long time under normal use. I've got a friend who swears by those small yellow ones at Tractor Supply. Not the red Champions but I think they're yellow Champions. He's been showing up at Fish Camp with one pf those for years and it wasn't very expensive.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had my mind made up on Honda but the RV dealers were pushing Yamaha when we bought our 5th wheel, claiming they're quieter. No scientific testing, but I feel like our friend's Honda is noticeably quieter than our Yamaha running them sxs.

Now it seems the same dealers are going back to Honda. I'm told the Yamaha 2000 in tandem is very marginal operating AC units on RV's whereas the Honda 2200's work fine for that. We seldom use the AC but when we have, it shuts off frequently due to inadequate power supply (or so I'm told that's the reason).

Starting over, I wouldn't consider anything but Honda for our use...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.