Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can set the disks where they just barely cut by changing the angle they are set too. Most disk I have seen any way and I'm 79.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
You can set the disks where they just barely cut by changing the angle they are set too. Most disk I have seen any way and I'm 79.

79 here too.
My disk are pretty well rusted into one position. Probably been that way for 50 years.I traded a mule for them at least 30 years ago.I will give it a try though.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I knew what you were saying.

Need to get that dead stuff out of there somehow. You will want seed/soil contact.

I was afraid you would say that.

Looks like discing is all I can do.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got any equipment rental businesses around? Sometimes the Soil Conservation Service rents Ag equipment.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got any equipment rental businesses around? Sometimes the Soil Conservation Service rents Ag equipment.

Not for any of that type of equipment. If I went out east of Pueblo, there might be,but that is 80 miles one way.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I was able to adjust my disc as far it would go so it is as straight as it can be. I disced that sod two ways and it looks like a good amount of dirt was turned up. I did about a 1/2 acre and see how that works before I do more.

I plan to seed a mixture they have here for high altitude grass, short prairie grass seed and a small amount of clover. Then oats as cover.

Probably about mid September as that is when we start to get light frost.

I have section of 8 ft chain link fence with two 8 ft graded blades weighing it down that I have had fairly good luck dragging it across grass seeded areas

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I was able to adjust my disc as far it would go so it is as straight as it can be. I disced that sod two ways and it looks like a good amount of dirt was turned up. I did about a 1/2 acre and see how that works before I do more.

I plan to seed a mixture they have here for high altitude grass, short prairie grass seed and a small amount of clover. Then oats as cover.

I have section of 8 ft chain link fence with two 8 ft graded blades weighing it down that I have had fairly good luck dragging it across grass seeded areas
Just keep discing. Once you start to break that thatch up and get it in contact with the soil it will break down even faster.

Maybe another discing both ways right before seeding.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/23/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Just keep discing. Once you start to break that thatch up and get it in contact with the soil it will break down even faster.

Maybe another discing both ways right before seeding.

Will do

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would also try to get seed down when rain is in the forecast.

Get it coming up pretty good before frost sets in or wait til next spring and frost seed, ground will loosen as frost come out of it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/23/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On this side (west) of the Rockies summer precip happens, but evaporates so quickly that it's not effective. I'd be inclined to wait until fall. Spring, and it's iffy on working the ground.

Second, is one sure the grass it dead? Lots of grasses can go dormant for nearly an entire summer and resurrect when moisture returns. Had some neighbors that did a summer long bucket trip. Their yard was brown from early June on but came back great the following spring.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
On this side (west) of the Rockies summer precip happens, but evaporates so quickly that it's not effective. I'd be inclined to wait until fall. Spring, and it's iffy on working the ground.

Second, is one sure the grass it dead? Lots of grasses can go dormant for nearly an entire summer and resurrect when moisture returns. Had some neighbors that did a summer long bucket trip. Their yard was brown from early June on but came back great the following spring.
No, grass has been dead two years now ,not dormant. What was dormant has greened up with the late summer monsoons we have had. Late August is close to fall here at 7650 feet elevation . I disced it two more times bringing up more dirt and cutting the thatch more, spread seed yesterday and dragged over it,. Then packed it down with the riding mower. I doubt it will sprout this fall, but if not soil will be worked enough to redo in spring.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get enough rain and if the seed is any good it will sprout. Ma' Nature plants lots of things this time of year...

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Get enough rain and if the seed is any good it will sprout. Ma' Nature plants lots of things this time of year...

Hope so.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.