Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Because of this drought, I have some places in the pasture that the grass is completely dead. Only a few acres.

We are getting some monsoon rain now. Should I disc it now and broadcast with some grass seed and oats as a cover, wait until fall or wait until spring and disc as early as I can and plant then?

The way the weather has been the last few years, early winter is dry, we get a little moisture late winter and early spring, then a dry late May, June and early July with no moisture.

I am at 7650 feet elevation, no means of irrigating.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/29/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in Kentucky, we reseed grass in the fall. That is usually the optimum time to do so.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I do quite a bit of that here.

Mostly I use a ridged harrow and overseed as I fertilize, then drag it with a panel drag to cover the seed a bit.

Have used a disc on certain placed that really needed it because of hard pan soil.

Here's the ridged harrow I use. It aerates, and scores the ground enough for seed in most cases. It also levels out rough pastureland.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Grass seed is very small so you do not want it buried in soil. Unless the soil is very hard a harrow should cover it.

I would agree with James fall or before the frost goes out would be my choice.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ipopum
Grass seed is very small so you do not want it buried in soil. Unless the soil is very hard a harrow should cover it.

I would agree with James fall or before the frost goes out would be my choice.

Depends on where you are, and what rainfall expectations are.

Down here, it's best case scenario to put it out with dry-ish conditions, followed by rain... Lots of rain in slow, soaking rains.

But then again, we sure haven't been working under ideal conditions for anything this year. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Frost seeding in late winter/early spring works well.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks.Will have to put it on hold anyway. Suffered a stroke Friday.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang, Vince. Get better.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1
Hope you overcome this setback.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Thanks.Will have to put it on hold anyway. Suffered a stroke Friday.

Sure hate to hear that! frown

Praying you get recovered from that soon!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sorry to hear about your health issue. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope the recovery is swift and fruitful!

Regarding when to seed, grass is best seeded in the fall/winter in most places. For a pasture, I'd sure not disk it. At most, scratch it up a bit and broadcast the seed. A cultipacker wouldn't hurt, but not needed. Freeze/thaw/weather should get the seed to the soil surface. If you have cheap/easy access to a drill, I'd use it, but I'd not worry about it. If plenty perennial grass species, I'd not be afraid to use some wheat/cereal rye/etc as a cover crop, especially if you'll need to use it sooner rather than later.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer

Regarding when to seed, grass is best seeded in the fall/winter in most places. For a pasture, I'd sure not disk it. At most, scratch it up a bit and broadcast the seed. A cultipacker wouldn't hurt, but not needed. Freeze/thaw/weather should get the seed to the soil surface. If you have cheap/easy access to a drill, I'd use it, but I'd not worry about it. If plenty perennial grass species, I'd not be afraid to use some wheat/cereal rye/etc as a cover crop, especially if you'll need to use it sooner rather than later.

I guess different areas do different things.

Most hay farmers disk their hay fields at least every two years here, and some disc every year. They apply fertilizer after discing and drag it to cover and smooth.

Did a 12.5 acre hay field last year, and disced it hard, harrowed, fertilized and overseeded, and a couple months later he got 4 bales to the acre putting up hay.

Lots depends on rainfall too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Rain is what I an worried about. Drought killed a lot of it this year. About the only thing left in spots is Brome. I have 4 ft wide toothed harrow I could drag around instead of the ten ft tandem disc.

I'd probably use oats as cover crop. Wheat I would worry about the mules eating the beards if it went to seed .Those can stick in their mouth and throat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you get on the mend soon.

Red clover and Timothy would be my choice here.

Late winter frost seed. Use a broadcast seeder.

No reason you couldn't plant red clover and oats in late summer/early fall as long as rains are I the forecast a day or 2 before seeding.

Assuming not worried much about overgrazing on new grass w a few mules.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by pointer

I guess different areas do different things.

Most hay farmers disk their hay fields at least every two years here, and some disc every year. They apply fertilizer after discing and drag it to cover and smooth.

Did a 12.5 acre hay field last year, and disced it hard, harrowed, fertilized and overseeded, and a couple months later he got 4 bales to the acre putting up hay.

Lots depends on rainfall too.
FWIW, I'd treat a hayfield different than I would a pasture, especially a small pasture. Different goals and uses. Still not sure I'd disk and for sure wouldn't disk every 2 years, at least not long term. Too harmful (and anymore expensive) to soil building/health which can be a great hedge against things like drought. Hardly anyone around here grows hay on "good" ground. Most hay operations around here are on ground generally too hard/erosive to effectively raise corn/soybeans on.

Farming is done "right" a million different ways and those ways differ from area to area.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Hope you get on the mend soon.

Red clover and Timothy would be my choice here.

Late winter frost seed. Use a broadcast seeder.

No reason you couldn't plant red clover and oats in late summer/early fall as long as rains are I the forecast a day or 2 before seeding.

Assuming not worried much about overgrazing on new grass w a few mules.

I would want any clover in the pasture. Mules go right to it and ignore the grass and get too fat. Although mules don't founder a much,they still will with enough green clover. Mules can't stand too much prosperity.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Above,I meant to say I WOULDN"T want any clover.

I am still working on this, so more questions.The spots that the grass has died, is not bare dirt. It has layer of dead sod on it. I have a small toothed harrow that I can drag, but don't know if that will get down deep enough and I don't know if seed will germinate laying on top of that dead sod. The only other implement I have is a 10ft tandem disc. It is too small area to have someone come into do it and I sure don't want to plow it up and completely reseed it. It is about 50% grass now.

This stroke has me limited on physical capability, so there is that too.

Any and all thoughts/advice will be deeply appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew what you were saying.

Need to get that dead stuff out of there somehow. You will want seed/soil contact.

Even better if you can seed it then run a cultipacker or a very light harrow to turn some seed in.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/22/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 38 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.