Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The wife and some friends and I are taking a cruise to Alaska next month. I always wanted to go hunt in Alaska and kind of bummed about traveling all the way across the US to go there and not get to hunt, but oh well maybe in the future. We will be doing the tourist thing where we go to Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria. What are some recommended things to see and do while off the boat that maybe aren't as touristy? Any must sees or restaurants?
I wish I could stash my .348 in my luggage and go after a Black tail, LOL
Thanks

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We cruised there a while back, flew into Anchorage then train ride to Denali for 3 days before getting on the boat in Seward. I'd hit the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, 4" of sawdust on the floor if you fall off the barstool. The silvers were running, great little creek running through Ketchikan to see 'em.

Most our excursions were cancelled due to heavy rain. Definitely bring good binos, I included my spotter & tripod. We saw lots of wildlife from the boat.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, I have a nice set you Swarovski pocket binos. My wife has already said to bring them.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I ate at Bar Harbor in Ketchikan my buddy and I both got sick, I'd avoid it. If you take a bear tour out to Neets Bay in Ketchikan let me know.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was just in Anchorage last week. The first time in 46 years. I met a couple of Army buddies there. One live in Anchorage and one came from Yakima Washington.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fishing and flying is what we did for side trips. And flying was the best especially doing a glacier landing and lake landings.

Life is good live it while you can.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You will only have time for one trip at each port. Go flying, land on a glacier, Denali, if possible !!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
You will only have time for one trip at each port. Go flying, land on a glacier, Denali, if possible !!
If he’s only staying in SE Alaska, I highly doubt he makes it to Denali. Still a long ways from Juneau and Ketchikan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tagging this thread. I've got a similar 2 week trip booked and paid for in July 2023. 7 day cruise, starting in Vancouver and ending in Whittier, then a week on the ground in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One needs to visit mtn view, Fairview, Spenard and Muldoon to truly experience Alaska!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Didn't I see someone post recently about all the shootings in Spenard? Sounds like a nice part of town.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We get enough shootings in Atlanta, lol I hope not to partake in that while in Alaska...unless it's me shooting at game. The wife has us booked on a plane ride to land on a glacier so far. How are the mosquitos and black flies in mid August?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Tagging this thread. I've got a similar 2 week trip booked and paid for in July 2023. 7 day cruise, starting in Vancouver and ending in Whittier, then a week on the ground in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks.
Going north on the train?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 348winchester
We get enough shootings in Atlanta, lol I hope not to partake in that while in Alaska...unless it's me shooting at game. The wife has us booked on a plane ride to land on a glacier so far. How are the mosquitos and black flies in mid August?
Not a problem on a glacier. 😆

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
One needs to visit mtn view, Fairview, Spenard and Muldoon to truly experience Alaska!

Nonsense.
One hasn’t experienced the ‘real’ Alaska until they spend some time in Barrow, Kotzebue or Nuiqsut.

They’re beautiful, in a third world country kind of way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by 79S

Nonsense.
One hasn’t experienced the ‘real’ Alaska until they spend some time in Barrow, Kotzebue or Nuiqsut.

They’re beautiful, in a third world country kind of way.
Dont forget Bethel.... in April/May

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If ever staying in Anchorage, avoid "Tha Alex Hotel". (The Hotel from HELL).

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Juneau:

Alaska State Museum (10 min walk from cruise ships)
Mt. Roberts Tram (blue bird day only) You can hike down in about 1.25 hrs
Mendenhall Glacier
DIPAC salmon hatchery tour (silver fishing is very good late Aug - early Sept) [you can rent gear or borrow from me as I work right across the street]
Sheep Cr. silver fishing (again late Aug - early Sept) 5 miles from criuse ships - very good fly fishing and spinning for silvers
Walk up Basin Road to Perserverance Trail and Ebner Falls. Mining Musem is up there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Going north on the train?

Yes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boy if that's all I was going to see of Alaska I'd probably stay home

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.