Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So my 8.75 year old female lab is leaving small urine deposits as I have noticed for the first time this evening.......cant consult a vet tell monday.....

Am I dealing with a urinary infection? Her health and energy seem to be fine......I've put her in n a very large kennel for the time being with a blanket to control the area of leakage........shes not liking that, but I cant let her have run of the house under these circumstances.

Any experience with this is appreciated......shes the first female I've raised....

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Strong scent? Frequent squatting when she goes? Any change in play habits or activity level? I know you said energy level seems fine but without a urine test it's difficult to diagnose. If you answered yes to one of the first two questions I posted, I'd say yes. UTIs are common in female dogs, as the urethra is short, wide, and close to the ground when urinating, giving bacteria ample opportunity to ascend and populate.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
She fixed?

I am MAGA.
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I cant answer the first two questions, but I haven't noticed any indoor squatting.....l need to mention she has been on some steroid medication for possible open sore infection.....cephalexin....2- 500 mg tablets twice a day.......

Last edited by SCgman1; 07/29/22.
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, shes was fixed at 6 mos.

IC B2

SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been on the meds a week now......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I cant answer the first two questions, but I haven't noticed any indoor squatting.....l need to mention she has been on some steroid medication for possible open sore infection.....cephalexin....2- 500 mg tablets twice a day.......
Well, there you have the answer. Steroid meds will most definitely do that. They are diuretics. If my dogs are prescribed steroids, I only give them a morning dose, and I pick up the water bowl at 9:00 PM. I also make certain to let them out just before I go to bed. That solves it. Otherwise, I can expect a puddle by the back door in the AM while they are on steroids.

Steroids don't generally need to be given AM/PM, even though vets like to prescribe them that way. You can just do AM.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
1st hit doing google fu:
" can steroids cause dogs to pee"

Commonly prescribed medications such as prednisone (a form of cortisone) and furosemide (a diuretic or "water pill") typically cause increased thirst. Some dogs develop urinary incontinence (involuntary urine leakage).Jul 5, 2011

Last edited by renegade50; 07/29/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
covid, Biden say get the vaccination

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
This might be a very easy fix when you get to the vet. Ask about estrogen.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cephalexin is not a steroid. It is an antibiotic. UTI doesn’t seem likely if she’s taking it. Sorry to hear your dog is struggling. I’d follow the vet’s advice if I were you and call him (or her) back if the problem persists.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Cephalexin is a strong antibiotic. If she is also on a steroid also, it can definitely cause dogs to urinate frequently. Our mutt had that reaction the first day she was on steroids. We had to cut the dosage in half.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WMR
Cephalexin is not a steroid. It is an antibiotic. UTI doesn’t seem likely if she’s taking it. Sorry to hear your dog is struggling. I’d follow the vet’s advice if I were you and call him (or her) back if the problem persists.
I took him to mean she was on both Cephalexin (an antibiotic) and a steroid (like Prednisone). It's a common combination. Cures most common issues with dogs.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by WMR
I took him to mean she was on both Cephalexin (an antibiotic) and a steroid (like Prednisone). It's a common combination. Cures most common issues with dogs.

You may well be right.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Our female is on prednisone and she immediately started drinking a LOT more water. The result is as expected - she has us up twice a night to go out, along with more trips during the day. She has also been on a couple antibiotics recently, with one causing her a lot of distress. We won't let her take that one again. Like humans, they tolerate some meds better than others.

SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all.....she is taking 2 meds......and I'm confusing type....the antibiotic is apparently cephalexin, the steroid was a small pill twice a day for 3 days, then once a day after that....cant locate the name right now.

Anyway, I'm convinced its the meds....and I'm pretty sure the meds are overkill at this point......she does drink water like a camel when she drinks.

Appreciate the input....

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
OK, the small pill is most likely prednisone. It will cause excessive urination and water intake. At times they can't control it and will whiz in the house. It goes away when the prednisone goes away.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK, the small pill is most likely prednisone. It will cause excessive urination and water intake. At times they can't control it and will whiz in the house. It goes away when the prednisone goes away.

Just keep her confined to the linoleum area of the house and buy some extra cleaning supplies. Small price to pay for the love of a dog. Just finishing house training a puppy myself, so I feel his pain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
This might be a very easy fix when you get to the vet. Ask about estrogen.

This.

Or ask about the veterinary drug, Proin.

My female dog was spade before I got her, and she had incontinence. Proin stopped it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My little female started having incontinence issues in her sleep after she was spayed. Proin fixed her right up. Have even cut back to half tablets now. Still good.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.