Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a small camp trailer that we pull with our Toyota Highlander. I recently pulled it 600 miles with no problems. Then last week the trailer brakes quit working. The controller gave me an OL light which means a short in the system somewhere. I tried the trailer on the pickup and it worked ok. I then plugged a different trailer into the Toyota and got the OL light. That pretty well narrows it down to the wiring in the car.
I went over it repeatedly and couldn't find any shorts between the controller and the light plug. I finally ran new heavier power and ground wires the whole way. Same problem. The plug was new this spring, Hopkins brand. It took a bunch of time with a multimeter but I found that it was shorting inside the plug. It's a factory defect that sent the power from the brakes to the right turn lights. I had another new in the box Hopkins plug so I swapped it for a new one. Same problem. Hair tearing time. What are the odds of getting 2 factory defective plugs at the same time, but that's what I had.
I had yet another Hopkins plug that was in good shape. This one wasn't new but it was a more expensive type with the wires molded in so no screws are involved. It's just attaching the car wires to the plug pigtails. This time it's working again.
I wasted many hours tracking the dang thing down. The problem is that the blades in the plug wear through the rubber between them and the 2d one I tried was broken through from the factory. Hopkins is pretty low on my recommended company list right now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What are the odds of getting 2 factory defective plugs at the same time, but that's what I had.

Is the package stamped "Made in China"?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you tried to find anything of this type that ISN'T made in China?

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight
What are the odds of getting 2 factory defective plugs at the same time, but that's what I had.

Is the package stamped "Made in China"?

Hopkins could be an alias for Hop Sing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried to find anything of this type that ISN'T made in China?

I haven't looked.

Nor am I suggesting there is an alternative, just that the country of manufacture explains the defect rate. That and Hopkins' decision to compete exclusively on price. Sometimes there is no choice but to accept the likelihood of getting chinked. Many such cases.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Reason number 806 why I hate China.

As if trailer wiring isn’t fugged enough

Last edited by Higginez; 07/30/22.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right after man invented the wheel, he invented the trailer,

He's been trying to keep the lights working ever since. wink

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"You've got a bad ground."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
That's usually the case but I ran a 12g wire directly from the plug to the battery. The problem was that it was shorting across from the brake wire to the right turn wire, inside the plug.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hate trailer issues

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thursday on the way home from work I followed a brand new trailer- literally right out of the manufacturers lot - that had the right hand turn/brake light not working. Of course it didn't have to be a trailer problem, could have been the truck or connection. Surprised that the person pulling it hadn't checked the lights before they left with it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Right after man invented the wheel, he invented the trailer,

He's been trying to keep the lights working ever since. wink
Originally Posted by 5sdad
LOL

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have a small camp trailer that we pull with our Toyota Highlander. I recently pulled it 600 miles with no problems. Then last week the trailer brakes quit working. The controller gave me an OL light which means a short in the system somewhere. I tried the trailer on the pickup and it worked ok. I then plugged a different trailer into the Toyota and got the OL light. That pretty well narrows it down to the wiring in the car.
I went over it repeatedly and couldn't find any shorts between the controller and the light plug. I finally ran new heavier power and ground wires the whole way. Same problem. The plug was new this spring, Hopkins brand. It took a bunch of time with a multimeter but I found that it was shorting inside the plug. It's a factory defect that sent the power from the brakes to the right turn lights. I had another new in the box Hopkins plug so I swapped it for a new one. Same problem. Hair tearing time. What are the odds of getting 2 factory defective plugs at the same time, but that's what I had.
I had yet another Hopkins plug that was in good shape. This one wasn't new but it was a more expensive type with the wires molded in so no screws are involved. It's just attaching the car wires to the plug pigtails. This time it's working again.
I wasted many hours tracking the dang thing down. The problem is that the blades in the plug wear through the rubber between them and the 2d one I tried was broken through from the factory. Hopkins is pretty low on my recommended company list right now.

Move to Montana, no one up here has any trailer lights working at all and no one seems to care…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Is that an invite Shrap?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The odds of two new plugs not working?

Better than you might think if purchased at the same time.
If new and not working? It's either a defect in components,
Or assembly. If both were made at the same time...?

NEW= Never Ever Worked

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/30/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I asked my mechanically challenged buddy to check the turn signals on my trailer. I told him I turned on the left signal and asked him if it was working. He replied, “ now it is, now it isn’t, now it is, now it isn’t.” 😆

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you check the fuses? I know it sounds silly but I've had some funky stuff happen with trailers and the most frustrating was due to partially blown fuses, or fuses that were bad but didn't show it. Symptoms don't quite fit but neither did mine when it happened

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One day God got angry with man, so He created trailer wiring.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
Is that an invite Shrap?

Sure, it would beat the idiots that are coming here from California…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Must be a lot of people from Louisiana done moved to Montana Shrap.

Go into an auto parts store looking for trailer light bulbs and they look at you like you're crazy.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.