Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have Hondas and Yamahas. Reality is, I have had far fewer issues with my Yamahas. None actually that I can think of.

Both are good. But the Yamahas have been absolutely fault-free.

Montana MOFO
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Honda generators are made primarily in China.

I call bullschit on that.

Yeah because you have a 20 year old one that says made in Japan right

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Purchased a Honda EU 2200i last year. Made in Thailand. Going to buy a couple more for Christmas gifts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My Yamaha 2800I.....purchased 2005 IIRC

Japan mfg...been a great machine

Here....portable power building fence/hanging gates...when I had more ambition ):

Weighing 68# still easier handled with 2 persons

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5spd
I have had the harbor freight 2000 for 4 years now.
Not a single problem since day 1, starts within 3 pulls, sits for 7 months between using and still keeps on going.
It's run my fridge n tv in outages up to 4hrs now.
It's quiet as well, maybe not Honda quiet, but close.

This is what I want. Thank you.

But also thanks to everyone for their thoughtful advice. Lots of smart people on the Campfire. If only we could replace our gov't with Campfire members lol. We'd rule the world forever.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JD45: I sure like the reliability of my Honda.
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I personally have two Honda generators, one made in Japan, one made in Thailand. They are much newer than 20 years old.

Bullschit call stands.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rocky: The locked rotor voltage of a freezer compressor exceeds 1000W. On start up you will get a lot of circuit breaker trips. If it does not trip the breaker the power surge required on start up will momentarily exceed the rated output of the generator thereby significantly shortening the service life of the generator.
Attached are images of the compressor showing the power details from my Magic Chef 10 cu ft fridge including the lock rotor current of 10 amps.

When I installed the fridge I measured AT the batteries a spike of 110 amps. Battery volts at the time was 12.6VDC which converts to 1360 watts. I measured at the batteries to give me a true number of the total power demand of the configuration to include cable loss, invertor usage, fridge and such. I'm working from memory as the data was collected 3 years ago when I installed the fridge so the numbers might be slightly off.

I used a Simpson HE 95 AC/DC Amps-Clamps meter to measure the amps. Meter response time is listed as 100 msec which is fast enough for most motor surge detection, measurement and display. The meter also has the capability to hold for display surge or peak currents.

The possibility of using a modified sine wave inverter with a Magic Chef 10 cu ft fridge I can't address as I was using a 2000 watt Xantrex PROWatt which is a pure sign wave invertor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure about best today but for $299 my Champion 4000 hasn't let me down yet and it's been over 10 years. When I upgrade bigger dual/fuel it will be a Champion.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I personally have two Honda generators, one made in Japan, one made in Thailand. They are much newer than 20 years old.

Bullschit call stands.

an

Find out where the parts come from for the Thailand, US and Japan generators before you post your childish drivel. You can easily find out this information, I'm not going to do it for a dumbazz.

https://powercurious.com/where-are-honda-generators-made/

Here is a quote
Honda generators are made in several countries, including the United States, China, and Japan. The vast majority of Honda generators are made in China.
Now STFU

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Bullschit call stands.

an

Find out where the parts come from for the Thailand, US and Japan generators before you post your childish drivel. You can easily find out this information, I'm not going to do it for a dumbazz.

Here is a quote
Honda generators are made in several countries, including the United States, China, and Japan. The vast majority of Honda generators are made in China.
Now STFU

You forgot this quote:

The vast majority of Honda generators sold in the United States are made at Honda’s facility in Swepsonville, North Carolina.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Bullschit call stands.

an

Here is a quote
Now STFU

You forgot this quote:

The vast majority of Honda generators sold in the United States are made at Honda’s facility in Swepsonville, North Carolina.

They make small engines at that plant, snow blowers , tillers and generators at that plant, Not all of their generators are made there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a Honda 1000i generator for 10 years to power a small camper with no A/C. Performance has been flawless. I purchased a China Freight generator that only ran once and then refused to start. I tried to get parts for it but NOTHING was available from Hobo Freight. I finally was able to cross reference a carburetor from Amazon but no other parts were available anywhere. I wanted a small generator for back up at the house. The Honda and Yamaha generators were equal in price which was double the cost of the numerous other brands recommended on the Fire. I purchased 2 WEN generators because everyone raved about them. Using the link provided on the Fire recommendation I thought I was buying from Amazon . In 2 days the 2 generators shrink wrapped on a pallet were dumped off at my front door. Upon examination both boxes had been dropped before shrink wrapping and the corners and the sides were caved in. I called Amazon and was told that they were purchased from WOOT but shipped from Amazon service center 10 miles from my house. WOOT said to contact WEN in Carrolton TX. Numerous calls and emails went unanswered. I finally used the automated return service feature on WOOT. Printed off a prepaid a UPS return label, stuck it on the pallet and called UPS to pick it up. UPS would not pick up the package so I set a pick up with TFORCE Freight which was the surface freight division of UPS. TFORCE picked up the pallet. 2 weeks later I got an invoice from TFORCE for $2478.94. After researching WEN, Powermate, Generac, etc. and reading numerous negative reviews I purchased a Honda generator. Twice the cost but parts and sevice are available.
My question to WEN, Generac, Predator, Firman, A-ipower, etc. how is parts availability, warranty claims and customer support?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yamaha-Inverter-Generators-s/1818.htm

Where are Yamaha Generators manufactured?

Yamaha's headquarters is in Japan and for most of their generator models, they are still manufactured in Japan. However, when the Japanese Tsunami hit in 2011, Yamaha (like many other manufacturers) needed to expand operations into other parts of Asia. So a few of their models now come out of a factory in China.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2ZBFXZKH4XOK7/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm

Customer Review

Willy J

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Yamaha EF2000is clone on the Market
Reviewed in the United States on January 13, 2016
Style: 2000 Watts (w/ 1600 Running)Pattern Name: Generator Verified Purchase

I currently have a Yamaha EF2000is. I saw the WEN on hot deals recently and couldn't pass it up for the price. I could have bought two of these and had change for what I paid for the Yamaha. The reason that I purchased the WEN is that the engine is a Yamaha clone, it's very similar inside, and the wiring diagrams are virtually the same so that I believe I can parallel the two generators. It's made in China, but the Yamaha has a label inside that it's made in China also. Smarter tools also has the Yamaha engine but they lablel theirs "Powered By Yamaha". I don't know if WEN licenses this engine or if it's a knockoff. I'm betting that both units might be made side by side in the same Chinese factory.

I've received it and have run it a couple of days and really like it. First of all it's very attractive. Inside it seems to have nearly the quality level of the Yamaha although there are differences. The engine is the same design but it has a dipstick whereas the Yamaha only has a plug. The spark plugs use different size wrenches. The inverter on the Yamaha is cased but the circuit board components are open on the WEN. One thing I like about the Yamaha that's missing on the WEN is the little door that allows you to access the oil fill hole without removing the entire side cover.

I oiled it and gassed it and then pulled the starter rope a couple of times slowly. Then I pulled twice and it started. I ran it through several short cycles with varying load and then cooldown to break it in. Then I ran it side by side with the Yamaha testing it with the same loads. I believe the Yamaha is marginally quieter but not by much. When on autothrotte the Yamaha responds to load faster whereas the WEN would blink it's overload lamp for a few seconds while catching up to a 1,500 watt load from idle. But really there seems to be very little difference in the performance or noise levels of the two units. Also the WEN is a couple of pounds heavier.

Update 04/01/2017 - A couple of years ago I gave away my Onan generator in my class C motorhome and replaced it with more batteries, a charger/inverter, and solar panels. I boondock always and never hook up. I don't want to start a generator every time I want to use the microwave or make a pot of coffee. I carry the WEN56200 in the coach for when solar isn't enough and I'm not driving enough to charge the battery bank from the vehicle generator. I fire up the WEN and run it at 90% load (I've added a tachometer) for a couple of hours. I never carry extra gas for it as I've never come back from a camping trip where I had used half of it's tank. After a year, the WEN still works great and starts right up every time. My Yamaha EF2000is has been gathering dust in my shop.

I ran it several hours yesterday powering a 40 amp battery charger charging the two 12 volt batteries on my big truck. It purred away on 1/4 throttle and you could hardly hear it from 50 feet away.

I just received the WEN parallel kit and spent yesterday parallel testing the WEN56200i with my Yamaha EF2000is. Both gensets paralleled with no problems. They shared the load well with almost identical RPMS. Both gensets held a nice steady 60cps standalone or paired. The max that I could load the paralleled gensets was 3,000 watts before the overload light came on the WEN. The Yamaha is just a bit stronger. See the attached picture. Ran them with two 1,500 watt heater at various settings as well as my air compressor. The little known secret is that any brand inverter generator that is parallel capable can be paralleled with any other brand. Honda, Yamaha, WEN, Smarter Tools, Etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Honda eu30i handi at the moment. It's a good genny but a discontinued model now. The only problem with the 30i handi is the carby is difficult to get at to work on or to drain the fuel bowl. 99.9% of generating running problems are related to fuel being left in the machine which over time causes problems with the pilot & main jet getting clogged with gunk.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't forget the Yamaha's. I have a 7200 for the house and a 1000 for messing around. One thing I do with mine is I use straight gas with no additives, bit expensive but well worth it in the long run

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dingo
I have a Honda eu30i handi at the moment. It's a good genny but a discontinued model now. The only problem with the 30i handi is the carby is difficult to get at to work on or to drain the fuel bowl. 99.9% of generating running problems are related to fuel being left in the machine which over time causes problems with the pilot & main jet getting clogged with gunk.

Seafoam......Stabil......or Eth Free solves that

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wasn't going to comment because everyone buys the brand rather than the proven product. In the 2000 class it's Yamaha. Lighter, quieter and starts when it's cold compared to a Honda. I need mine to start when it's -25*F (Actual, not the silly windchill that's irrelevant) after bouncing around in the back of my truck for a week. Yes you can put a cold start kit in a Honda or keep it in the wife's spot in the truck to be sure it starts but, there is one generator on this planet that has never failed me under any and all circumstances.

As far as Generac, they build most of the actual generator parts. The brands are the engine.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.