Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What do you guys choose for gloves on frosty elk season mornings? Lightweight where you could shoot with them on, but still keep your hands warm?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Under Armour Liners using a hand muff. All season long. Early season no muff needed. Been doing this for the past 15 or so years

I don’t hunt elk though, just WV whitetails these days with the grandkid.

ETA: There are a couple of HotHand hand warmers inside the muff.

Last edited by MarkWV; 07/30/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use leather muffs as well. You can take one off in no time, if you have liners underneath, and have plenty of time to shoot. I have found nothing better to keep my hands warm during the third season in Colorado.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several suggestions.

First off, I use some sort of heat pack stuffed in a breast pocket. Lately, that's been a USB hand warmer, but I've also used chemical heat packs and lighter-fluid hand warmers. The trick here is to have this close to the heart and lungs. It adds extra heat so that your hands don't get cold. I introduced this to my son's pipe band years ago, and they all agreed it made playing in the cold much easier.

Secondly, I use Sportsmansguide.com mil-surp trigger mittens. I think what I bought are Belgian. However, all the northern European countries issue them. They are absolutely the warmest solution I've tried.

Third: I'm stealing a cue from my Kindergarten days. Grandma always knitted me mittens, and put them on a string. You ran the string down the inside of your coat, across the back. This kept the mittens from getting lost. I do the same with these shooting mitts using paracord.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everybody will have a personal preference.

[Linked Image from bhphotovideo.com]Hand Warmer Pocket
[Linked Image from bhphotovideo.com]LINK FOR INFO

OR With Fingers

[Linked Image from bhphotovideo.com]LINK FOR INFO

Scheels Version of Above

A lesser exspensive non-water resistant rag wool

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]LINK FOR INFO

A lesser exspensive fleece version

And for the yah-hoos that insist on posting from the deer stand

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Military surplus fire resistant pilots gloves with thin leather palms. They fit snug and the fabric reflects body heat.

Very old days I wear a pilots glove on my trigger hand and keep it in coat pocket. Opposite hand gets a thicker thinsulate glove

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hothands has these fleece glove mitts with full fingers. That helps a lot when it's not quite cold enough for the whole mitten or to protect your fingers when it's real cold and you have to pull off the mitten. They have a handwarmer pocket, too. Walmart and Amazon carry them, probably other places, too.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have never used the newer versions,(which look pretty cool) just the old stand by, 3 finger mittens with wool liners, from the good ole army/navy surplus! Also, edit to add, one of my trusty, dark ,earthen colored silk scarves around my neck for the invariable runny nose!

Last edited by troublesome82; 07/31/22. Reason: wording
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve got a small tote full of various gloves used over the years. Liner gloves and chemical hand warmers are always on hand with leather gloves or mittens for the outer layer depending on the temp. A lot of times I just wear the liner.
I’ve never tried the hand warmer and muff but that sounds like the way to go for an all day sit.
What helps keep me warm is a chemical hand warmer in each from pants pocket, seems to help keep my feet warmer.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a muff that belonged to my dad. He used it fishing. With a hand warmer inside, it's very warm for stand hunting or fishing but not much good for elk or muley hunting where you walk a lot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoor Research Gripper gloves have been just the right balance of warmth and dexterity for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Deer skin, sized to fit properly! I pretty much wear them at all times (good protection from scapes and abrasions) until it gets quite cool……low teens and cooler! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outdoor research grippers or plain old Mechanix gloves work well for me in WA. On super cold mornings I take my muff I use for goose hunting attached to the pack for use while sitting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Whatever I have on hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Whatever I have on hand.
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Whatever I have on hand.

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Deerskin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the rag wool version the akasparky posted in his pics for many years. They are relatively cheap so I keep a couple pair in my hunting bags and my pack for when I damage a set. They are warm enough for our weather around here in the winter, which seldom gets below the teens. With the leather patch on the palms they have great grip on the stock and quick to pull off the mitten end to expose shooting fingers.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hands are quite sensitive to the cold. I've tried many gloves (even mittens....hate them), never found anything that really worked well enough, but found and have settled on heated gloves for those cold mornings with hours and hours of glassing on windy and exposed hillsides. They work pretty well. Don't remember the manufacturer, but they were made for motorcyclists originally as I recall, and they wound up making some for Cabelas, which is where I got them from.

Probably need to look into some more. I'm sure there's been a bit of innovation with heated gloves in the last 10 years or so since I bought those. As I recall, a single set of batteries was good for about 3 hours on a "medium" setting. Two sets of batteries would get me through the morning and evenings glassing without painful hands.

Of course if you're on a backpack or horseback hunt way out in the sticks, they won't work for you. But if you can make it back to camp each evening to charge the batteries, they could be the ticket.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've been using my Nomex flight gloves for 50 years. If in deep snow or super cold conditions I will cover them with mittens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.