Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
We had that exact meal just the other day.
With fried chicken of course.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My mother did the fried squash and she also did fried green tomatoes. We always had a big garden when I was growing up as well as a flock of chickens and a couple cows and pigs we butchered in the fall. Food just tastes better when you raise it yourself.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zucc and squash weren't part of my childhood. It was Mrs. Kamo Gari that gave me my childhood flashback with some Japanese food. OMG, it took me back to the Land of the Rising Sun.
RB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When i was a wee lad….

I had to go to pre-school / daycare / whatever it was called.

Both parents worked.

Seems like they fixed spaghetti-ohs 5 days a week.

I haven’t ate spaghetti-ohs since….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ice Cream!!!!!
Be 60 next year.
Gonna eat more Ice cream!!!

All us oldsters luv ice cream don't we???

Gonna eat Ice cream every chance I can get!!!

😄👍👍😄😁😁😁😄😄

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You know it's weird but the only meal I remember is chili poored over white rice. We had 6 kids and my dad didn't make a ton of money as a Lutheran minister. Can't believe they got by, to this day I can't understand how. Fuggin genius.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
You know it's weird but the only meal I remember is chili poored over white rice. We had 6 kids and my dad didn't make a ton of money as a Lutheran minister. Can't believe they got by, to this day I can't understand how. Fuggin genius.
Seriously I can't understand how, always had new or newer vehicles in the driveway. I mean wtf? The guy was making a schit salary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.

My grandmother always fried hers like that in flour. My Mom always used cornmeal instead.
I’ll eat it either way, but it’s much better fried in cornmeal, IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old time Florida mangoes. Can't be had these days, miss that a bunch.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fresh hot lard cracklin'!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC
My mother did the fried squash and she also did fried green tomatoes. We always had a big garden when I was growing up as well as a flock of chickens and a couple cows and pigs we butchered in the fall. Food just tastes better when you raise it yourself.

Yep. Never had fried chicken anywhere near as good, as when my Grandmother would kill a couple and fry them up in her big ole iron skillet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MAC

Yep. Never had fried chicken anywhere near as good, as when my Grandmother would kill a couple and fry them up in her big ole iron skillet.
Fuggin savage, those old women got it done. My grandmother was the same way, they didn't think twice about it. We were city kids but got a dose of reality when visiting my grandparents. It was great.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MAC

My grandmother's fried chicken has never been duplicated. I even have her Wagner skillet, circa 1890-1920 and I can't make it do what she did.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by MAC

My grandmother's fried chicken has never been duplicated. I even have her Wagner skillet, circa 1890-1920 and I can't make it do what she did.

And you never will be able to; it wasn’t just the meal, it was the love of the person that prepared it…,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ripe fruit.

I think about it now and that and it kind of makes me sad, my nieces and nephews young children. It's quite likely that they will go their whole lives without knowing what a banana is supposed to taste like, or most other fruits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tastes from my childhood would have to include the sauerbraten from an old Bavarian recipe made by my German maternal grandparents and also the horseradish they made from the plants they grew. My grandmother would be terrified of me using too much horseradish on something and would always warn me against putting too much on something. When I got a little older I discovered that she was right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We would always go out and catch mackerel by the tub load during the fall run. Every Friday night without fail,Mom would bake five in a pan filled with tomato sauce…..

Don’t miss baked mackerel at all!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have stuffed zucchini about to go in the oven. My Mother was a great cook as are her three children.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Home made Fudge.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,483
Posts18,451,903
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.