Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The crimp is of less importance than is the internal capacity of the cartridge case. Handgun cartridges are very sensitive to changes in case capacity. Seating a bullet deeper or more shallow will change chamber pressure and velocities drastically.

Often time "special" loads will not develop enough pressure to burn completely or uniformly when loaded to magnum internal capacities. It behooves us to duplicate the internal capacity of the case the load was developed in. At least to some approximation.

I too load using 44 special load data in a 44 mag case but I have been crimping cast bullets using bullet's crimp grove. Thus ignoring the OAL and consequently not coming close, apparently, to achieving the book data fps.

Is there data, a formula, or otherwise a rule of thumb that would apply to say add (fill the blank) .grains of powder to replicate special load chamber pressure and velocity when using mag brass?

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mjac
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The crimp is of less importance than is the internal capacity of the cartridge case. Handgun cartridges are very sensitive to changes in case capacity. Seating a bullet deeper or more shallow will change chamber pressure and velocities drastically.

Often time "special" loads will not develop enough pressure to burn completely or uniformly when loaded to magnum internal capacities. It behooves us to duplicate the internal capacity of the case the load was developed in. At least to some approximation.

I too load using 44 special load data in a 44 mag case but I have been crimping cast bullets using bullet's crimp grove. Thus ignoring the OAL and consequently not coming close, apparently, to achieving the book data fps.

Is there data, a formula, or otherwise a rule of thumb that would apply to say add (fill the blank) .grains of powder to replicate special load chamber pressure and velocity when using mag brass?

As long as the base of the bullet is the same distance to the case head then the pressure will be the same in either case.
Simply seat the bullet deeper in the longer case

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ok. Got it. My thinking cap was on backwards.

Someone *might* be able to figure out what would powder (s) add to make up the .125 case difference but it sure ain't me.

It's seat deeper, and ignore the crimp grove for me.

Thanks

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.