Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It just burned off. 3 of us have taken 4 elk out of there the last 2 years but it's up in smoke. The elk will still be there this winter but we'll have to find them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's a good thing. Regeneration of habitat.

I'm surprised fire danger is all that bad. We had a real cool spring and early summer with late snow in Idaho. It's still really green as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bet Colorado has close to a 100 sq miles that has burned. Probably a lot more. 31 sq miles is only about 6 x 6 miles.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one gets some early fall precip get in there. A green up will the be best of groceries with no need to sort among cured stems.

1Minute
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The Moose creek Fire ? Not far from where we hunt. Last Sept, we had to deal w the trail creek fire.
Hope they get it controlled. Burnt 4K over night.

Don't gobble at me
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Go big or go home.... 20,000 acres isn't all that much.

About 3 million acres up in smoke in Alaska so far.

I agree with the regeneration. Elk eat grass, not trees, for the most part, but trees do provide cover for the sneaky critters.

If it is a mosaic burn, with what saddlesore said, the elk, if they are anything like moose, will be using the "islands" of timber for daytime bedding. Hunt them. If not this year, then next years.

Over about 20 years time, I had 100% success on moose hunting such an area by walking the "islands", skipping the regrowth areas except for pass-through. Never hunted more than 4 days either. Over-all success for that area was a bit over 20%, as most "hunters" never got more than a quarter mile off the road, with the exception of the fly-in crowd who hammered the moose in the non-wilderness areas the last 10 days, as permitted, by arial spotting in the evening, and hunting their targeted animals the next morning.

That burn is now almost 55 years old, and the regrowth 70 feet tall, with maybe 10% of the moose it once held, if that. It was interesting watching the succession. I hunted the same two, roughly one square mile each areas the whole time. Some of the moose even had names. Damn, that was fun!

I love burns!. I'll be going back in there again this fall after an absence of 10 years or so, for the latter part of the season. I'm not expecting much.

Two big burns( probably several hundred square miles) now going on at my remote cabin area (no registered cabins lost to date) should provide excellent moose hunting in 10-15 years. I'll be there for the first week of season this year- not expecting much there either.

Heck, I'll only be still in my 80's by the time it gets good up there.. smile

Last edited by las; 07/20/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This was man caused and from what I can tell, likely started on private land. I wonder if a rancher was burning weeds. It's been in the 90's for the last week and things have really dried out. 30 mph winds didn't slow it down any.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fullfan
The Moose creek Fire ? Not far from where we hunt. Last Sept, we had to deal w the trail creek fire.
Nope. Bray Lake fire north of Bliss, ID. For some reason, Inciweb hasn't reported it. When it started, the fire crews jumped right on it to keep it from being 200 sq miles. That area has seen some really big fires in years past and they don't want another one. There's a lot of cheat grass out there.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Nope. Bray Lake fire north of Bliss, ID. For some reason, Inciweb hasn't reported it. When it started, the fire crews jumped right on it to keep it from being 200 sq miles. That area has seen some really big fires in years past and they don't want another one. There's a lot of cheat grass out there.

Ten 4. Been dry again this year. And no rain in the forecast.

Don't gobble at me
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Its just starting to get warm in N. IDAHO and a little breeze. I suppose there possibly could be fires but it's looking pretty good so far. We also have more intense forestry management around here as well.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I still can't find a map of the perimeter of this fire but I did find a little info about where it burned. Where we got our elk last year was close to the center of it. Originally it looked like it started on private land but now I don't think so as it's a few miles from where they showed the origin a couple days ago. They still say it's man caused so that could be anything from a tossed cigarette to an illegal use of tannerite. We had a really big one here a few years ago caused by a guy illegally shooting tannerite on public land.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing of substance yet here in SE Oregon, but conditions are setting up such that we could do some good ones. A good thunder storm could light off a bunch of country. We had a fair grass year, but little to no water in stock ponds etc. That being, a lot grass did not see any livestock so lots of fine fuels around.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/21/22.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I still can't find a map of the perimeter of this fire but I did find a little info about where it burned. Where we got our elk last year was close to the center of it. Originally it looked like it started on private land but now I don't think so as it's a few miles from where they showed the origin a couple days ago. They still say it's man caused so that could be anything from a tossed cigarette to an illegal use of tannerite. We had a really big one here a few years ago caused by a guy illegally shooting tannerite on public land.

Back in the mid eighties the company that least the property I planned to hunt did a controlled burn in the spring, by the time fall came the grass was very good and there were elk everywhere. One of the easiest elk hunts I ever experienced.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300

Back in the mid eighties the company that least the property I planned to hunt did a controlled burn in the spring, by the time fall came the grass was very good and there were elk everywhere. One of the easiest elk hunts I ever experienced.
This isn't spring and we're unlikely to get any real rain before winter. If we did, it could green up nicely but I'm not betting on it in this area.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: Sad to hear of your Hunting area burning up!
Its gonna be a long "fire season" - that fire may still be burning as the smoke here is coming from over Salmon, Idaho way.
Differing opinions abound as to how long it takes for good Elk habitat to "come back" after a fire.
Hope yours restores soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Good thing those Federal [bleep] are working hard on cheat grass. Oh I forgot, they’re in a meeting talking about closing more access to our public lands

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rock Chuck: Sad to hear of your Hunting area burning up!
Its gonna be a long "fire season" - that fire may still be burning as the smoke here is coming from over Salmon, Idaho way.
Differing opinions abound as to how long it takes for good Elk habitat to "come back" after a fire.
Hope yours restores soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
How fast the range restoration takes is all dependent on rain and we're very short of it the last few years. If we were to get some good rain in Sept, there's still time for it to green up considerably. A lot of it is lacking sagebrush because of previous fires. Cheat and other grasses will grow fast, though. We really don't need the cheat. It's as useful as a busload of Democrats.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not same area, but colo 18 has lots of area closed to ALL activity because of fire. Be t ween the forest service and Colo parks we are screwed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Inciweb finally posted the area of this fire. Where we got our elk last year is close to the dead center of it. There's still a lot of unburned land around it, though, so I doubt the elk will be too disturbed.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That fire started up by Hucksholds and burned all the way to Gooding in one night. Incredibly fast moving fire. If it doesn’t rain most of the elk will be on private ground. It’s gonna make for a lot of fence repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.