Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK guys, someone educate me because I cannot figure this out. So, here we go:

I have a 7x57 Mauser that is chambered off of an 03A3 Springfield action. What happened was when I removed the bolt from the receiver, it got stuck (just slightly). With more force, I was able to successfully pull it out. Now, when trying to place it back in the receiver, it will not feed.

Essentially, it goes roughly three quarters of the way in, then it stops. There is roughly about half an inch of clearance in front of the bolt face before it closes shut completely, and rotates downward to the closed position. The extractor is in line down the right side of the bolt as it should be (int the proper position). Trust me when I tell you that the bolt is inserted the correct way before you try to feed it.

Any chance any of you guys could possibly guess what is wrong? Someone told me that it needs to be cocked again before trying to feed it? Do any of you happen to have any advice? I would be glad to post a video if needed so you all can see what I am talking about if that helps? I am only a young guy of 37 years of age, (seriously) so I am still trying to figure all of this out. The only way you learn is by asking questions. Next step, is to take it to my gunsmith...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A video would help

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Make sure the cut off is all the way up or down. I don't have mine in front of me to tell you if it needs to be up or down.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
From what you have posted it sounds like the striker in the bolt may not be cocked. I just took my 03/A3 out of the safe, removed the bolt, decocked the striker and it suffered what sounds like the same malfunction you are talking about. The bolt sleeve (the cap on the rear end of the bolt) is misaligned when the striker isn't cocked and the bolt will stop about 3/4 inch shy of the receiver ring. If this is your problem, you need to take the bolt out, pull back hard on the cocking piece (the knob on the back of the bolt sleeve)and twist it and the bolt sleeve in a clockwise direction until the sleeve rotates and locks into the proper position. Then the bolt should work properly when reinserted.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/01/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kwg020
Make sure the cut off is all the way up or down. I don't have mine in front of me to tell you if it needs to be up or down.

kwg

Actually, in a Springfield the cutoff is positioned in the middle notch (tab straight out) for bolt release/insertion. Having it up or down will prevent insertion/retraction of the bolt.

My guess without seeing the gun is that wildhobbybobby has described the issue.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Problem fixed, Gents. WildHobbyBobby was correct. This fixed the issue. Not sure how it became "uncocked" when trying to remove it, but it did. And to Gnoahhh- this has a modified safety on it ( a Bueller to be exact). Putting it in the upright neutral position wouldn't work in this case. Thank you again, guys!!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Might wish to thoroughly have whatever problem diagnosed AND corrected. A bolt almost in battery "uncocked" with firing bin protruding from bolt head is a hazardous 'pusher' if a live cartridge involved in position proximate. That's a sufficiently strange aberration as "uncocked" occurring, I'd look further! So far it seems you've diagnosed 'manifestations' of the problem, but not necessarily the 'causation' as the bolt itself so positioned.
Just my take
Best!
John

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm glad that fixed the problem. The next question is whether or not this is going to happen again. With the bolt open, try to rotate the sleeve by hand and see if it remains locked properly. If not, there is something wrong with the locking mechanism, which is the little tab that locks into a slot on the root of the bolt handle and keeps the sleeve from rotating until the bolt is fully forward in the receiver. There may be an issue with the little tab or its spring, or possibly the aftermarket safety is causing a problem. You don't want this to happen spontaneously in the field. There is a possibility that everything is OK and that you somehow manually pushed the tab in while horsing on the bolt when it stuck, but it would be best to make sure the sleeve is locking properly.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/02/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Glad you triumphed over adversity! (But I wasn't referring to the safety, rather the magazine cutoff.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I'm glad that fixed the problem. The next question is whether or not this is going to happen again. With the bolt open, try to rotate the sleeve by hand and see if it remains locked properly. If not, there is something wrong with the locking mechanism, which is the little tab that locks into a slot on the root of the bolt handle and keeps the sleeve from rotating until the bolt is fully forward in the receiver. There may be an issue with the little tab or its spring, or possibly the aftermarket safety is causing a problem. You don't want this to happen spontaneously in the field. There is a possibility that everything is OK and that you somehow manually pushed the tab in while horsing on the bolt when it stuck, but it would be best to make sure the sleeve is locking properly.

Yep--and this can happen even with more "modern" commercial bolt-actions as well. Have seen it happen more than once with Remington 700s and the original Ruger 77s when somebody removed the bolt when traveling by air on a hunt. Have more than once had to use the "shoelace method" to recock a bolt with both actions....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Yep--and this can happen even with more "modern" commercial bolt-actions as well. Have seen it happen more than once with Remington 700s and the original Ruger 77s when somebody removed the bolt when traveling by air on a hunt. Have more than once had to use the "shoelace method" to recock a bolt with both actions....

It happens. I did it on an M96 Swedish Mauser during a hunt - don't know how, must've had half my fingers in the wrong place at the wrong time. Checked out the Mauser later and nothing out of the ordinary compared against others. I guess the Germans weren't being too conservative with the shroud lock on their Model 98s.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.