Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good afternoon Gentlemen, I have been a member on the fire longer than I care to admit. I have been blessed with great friendships along the way and have met some amazing people! Sometimes these types of requests are met with disdain, however, here goes!

With that said, I plan on retiring and am in the stages of planning my retirement Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming. I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor and have maximum preference points for Deer as a Non-Resident. I've been saving them for just such a reason. Looking for an opportunity to find a great trophy buck and enjoy the experience. Hoping for a class III Buck and am willing to devote as much time as I need to do this. I plan on camping in my Toyhauler, and have spent time in Wyoming hunting Antelope and Elk previously. I have a great resident friend that can act as a guide for Wilderness areas, so am not concerned about that.

What I am asking, if you should so be willing, is input on what area would you apply, with Max points, for a once in a lifetime hunt for a great Mule Deer?

I have had one knee replaced and will have the second done within a month so that I am able to do this. Just an old soldier that has to replace worn out parts. LOL grin I'm hoping that in 18 months or so, that I'm up to the hunt, but am willing to give it my all.

I have been researching all the historical areas such as 105, 125, 98, but as we all know, with the changing issues with drought, fawn recruitment, fire , etc....well tough to pick an area when you don't live there.

So, if you're so inclined, I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions.....kind of like trying to decide what you'd do if you won the Mega Millions lottery! LOL

Have a great weekend and thank you!

Frog---OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 07/31/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck hope you the best of luck and post pics

CK
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wyoming deer area #128 type 1 is an early November rut hunt, and nearly impossible to draw even with max points. Residents don't get preference points for deer, elk or antelope. I drew that area exactly once in 30 years. Good area and lots of good deer were sighted on my hunt and I did take a nice heavy horned 5X5, but don't hold your breath waiting to draw that tag.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm curious about your resident friend's opinions.

Sorry I can't offer any help, myself. I've decided to hunt other states for a few years based on the issues you've mentioned, plus late winter storms for 3-4 years in a row, CWD and EHD outbreaks etc. The quantity and quality of the herds seems to have taken a serious turn the last few years.

You're in an enviable position. I wish you good luck in your decision and your hunt.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frog, I've never even been to Wyoming, so, I'm no help to you at all. blush

However, I do wish you the best in both your upcoming retirement and Mule deer hunt! smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by frogman43
So, if you're so inclined, I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions.....kind of like trying to decide what you'd do if you won the Mega Millions lottery! LOL

Frog, I think you'll have a harder time sorting out the unit you want to use the points than what to do if you'd won the mega lotto. laugh

Good luck to ya - hope you bag a big'n.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Frog,
Some years ago I used to want to hunt with a now-out-of-business outfitter that killed lots of BIG racked bucks in the mountains east of Afton. I regret not getting around to doing it.
If I were lucky enough to be in your situation, I would mention to your friend that you want to hunt in one of the units around Pinedale, or Afton and rely on him to help decide.
Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Little Mountain (unit 102 type 1) south of Rock Springs or the Rock Garden (unit 130 type 1) SE of Pinedale are good, as are other areas of the state I am less familiar with.

The general units have just as good of genetics and produce just as big of bucks, though you’ll likely have to work much harder and go deeper into the back country for the big bucks. 130 has a general hunt but the type 1 tag allows you to hunt until Oct 31, which is a huge advantage.

102 or 130 are physically easier hunts if you can draw the tag, and the crowds won’t be as bad.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Book with an outfitter in Region G or H. Tell them you have max points, you should be able to split them with another client and save some money on your hunt.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Little Mountain (unit 102 type 1) south of Rock Springs or the Rock Garden (unit 130 type 1) SE of Pinedale are good, as are other areas of the state I am less familiar with.

The general units have just as good of genetics and produce just as big of bucks, though you’ll likely have to work much harder and go deeper into the back country for the big bucks. 130 has a general hunt but the type 1 tag allows you to hunt until Oct 31, which is a huge advantage.

102 or 130 are physically easier hunts if you can draw the tag, and the crowds won’t be as bad.

Good morning Tiny, I have been reading as much as possible about both of these areas. Of course, parts of 102 are checkerboard, so there's that. Being retired, I plan on usings as much time as desired in the area pre-season scouting as well. That's somewhat difficult if on a guided hunt in an area I don't have access to.

Plan on eventually buying a small place in Wyoming to become a resident......just enjoy being in the wide open spaced too much. Probably should have done this years ago, but life gets in the way.

Thank you for the input!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you all for the input and well wishes.

Yes, Wyoming is struggling at the moment, and 128 will be a difficult draw even with max points.....but it is the situation I find myself in.

About 9 years ago, I took a month off work to burn up my Elk points on a hunt in the Bighorns....it was quite an adventure, and I enjoyed every moment of it......even the actual shooting of a Bull after 8 days into the season. A big part of the experience was the exploring a new area....learning new terrain, and seeing all that was there.

I don't know.....I may be kidding myself. Just had one knee replaced, and getting ready to have the other side done if the surgeon says I'm recovered enough to do so. I don't know how many more years the good Lord will allow me to be in the Mountains, but I'm going to do the best I can to go at it until I have to stay on the porch and be a bystander.

Thank you gents!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd start my research by narrowing down the type of country you want to hunt. Rolling sagebrush? High mountain meadows? Grasslands? Once that's done, any of the harder to draw units have the quality that would make me happy.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Book with an outfitter in Region G or H. Tell them you have max points, you should be able to split them with another client and save some money on your hunt.

This!

Contact Tre Heiner at double diamond outfitters. He and his crew are the best!

https://www.doublediamondoutfitters.com/

Andy3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
parts of 102 are checkerboard, so there's that.

True, but the better deer habitat is south of the checkerboard on pure BLM surface. Little Mountain to be specific.

Besides, the checkerboard in that area is largely Rock Springs Grazing Association, which at this time allows public access. That could change I guess but as of right now they don’t restrict public access.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by T_Inman
parts of 102 are checkerboard, so there's that.

True, but the better deer habitat is south of the checkerboard on pure BLM surface. Little Mountain to be specific.

Besides, the checkerboard in that area is largely Rock Springs Grazing Association, which at this time allows public access. That could change I guess but as of right now they don’t restrict public access.

I appreciate the information Tiny!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The coveted tag around me is Area 109. I never put in for it as I am a meat hunter, but those that get that tag and put in the effort usually get a good reward. I can't speak for the latest wet and dry cycle, but nobody can predict for the area they put in for either.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Region G , hire an outfitter or get horses, you need them in there.
Big bucks and they are up high usually.

120 maybe ?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree with what some of the others have said, region g and horses would be my vote. Don’t worry, your still going to have those knees in great shape because you will be burning some boot leather as well. If you haven’t hunted from horses before, it’s an experience in its self. They will get you to places that most hunters won’t go. There is nothing like a high country mule deer hunt from horses in my opinion.

SLAP
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you for the input, greatly appreciated! Just met with teh Surgeon yesterday for my six week post op check up. Says things look good, and we have scheduled my left knee replacement for about 5 weeks from now.

Getting everything fixed now so that I can enjoy retirement!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good luck frogman send me some pics. when you kill a biggin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.