Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was really hoping to find a ruger made marlin, no luck, and some thing elts caught my eye, the new core-lokt tipped ammo. So, I bought a box in 7mm rem mag 150gr. The store I frequent just started getting more ammo back.... Had no idea big green was making such.

Watched the video's from Remington....course its the best thing since sliced bread, go figger..... It is available in all the popular calibers up to the 300 win mag I believe.

Anyhow, has someone made something dead with the 'new' core-lokt or won any long range matches with Remington's fancy centerfire fodder??

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've been wanting to give it a try, but haven't seen it in stock on shelves anywhere yet. Was kind of surprised to see the online prices for it. I know everything has gone up recently, but it seems kind of pricey for a core lokt with a poly tip.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wonder if Remington's Lonoke plant is making the slug or if it is purchased from Hornady?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With a green tip it might be a Sierra?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Remington ammo was bought up by Vista outdoors or in umbrella corporate terms, cci, speer, rcbs and such. I would almost think the bullet be one of there own creations hopefully.

I would hope big green would improve its own... my last few boxes of the stuff we'll, one it made my 7 mag look good, the other was ho-hum. ..We're the fed and win stuff shot notably better. Remington was having a rough last few years before the big bankruptcy...

Last edited by boomwack; 07/17/22.

NRA life member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good way for them to be able to double the price.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish them all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t shoot much factory ammunition, but if I see some of the tipped Core-Locked in one of my chambering I might give it a try. Just for old times sake.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen a few review videos on YouTube in a few cartridges. First impression is it's accurate and a few shot into gel looks like they expanded well, but I haven't seen any really try to stress it and see how it does.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't shoot much factory ammo, I do like to try different factory loads on occasion and see if it will match p.o.I of my handloads. Which this stuff prints in line and one inch higher Compared to my retumbo/175 gr. PartItion load.

Didn't put them across the chrono, just beat up my 100 yard steel gong to see how the loads compared.

NRA life member
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The BCs and weights are not the same as the commercial Sierra Tipped Game Kings. Don't think they are the "Gamechangers"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by boomwack
I don't shoot much factory ammo, I do like to try different factory loads on occasion and see if it will match p.o.I of my handloads. Which this stuff prints in line and one inch higher Compared to my retumbo/175 gr. Partition load.

Didn't put them across the chrono, just beat up my 100 yard steel gong to see how the loads compared.

Yup. The short side of that is that sometimes the factory stuff is just a little better. Rarely ... but it happens. If the factory stuff shoots better, I steal the OCL.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The visual quality of these new core lokt are much better when compared to a regular box of 7mm rem mag 150 gr. Core lokt of a few years back, wich shot fine for factory ammo....
Cannot say the same for the 175 gr. Core lokt fodder back then. The broad side of barns were completely safe. The only good from the 175 gr. Load was the brass.

NRA life member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought two boxes of 30-30 last fall , no plastic tips. They are accurate but of the seven I have tried so far one was a dud. Never had any problem with dead primers with Remington ammo but I have heard others who have. Not sure if this is the newest stuff or not but they had been out for a while when they got this in .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I read the F&S review of the Core-Lokt Tipped, which they tested from a Nosler M21 chambered in 6.5 CM.

What I'm not sure they realized is the results also inadvertently highlight the rifle.

The best they could do using a 15x scope was 1.26" groups.

That's pretty freakin' sad for a 6.5 CM.

Nosler M21? Uhhh... no.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Puddle
I read the F&S review of the Core-Lokt Tipped, which they tested from a Nosler M21 chambered in 6.5 CM.

What I'm not sure they realized is the results also inadvertently highlight the rifle.

The best they could do using a 15x scope was 1.26" groups.

That's pretty freakin' sad for a 6.5 CM.

Nosler M21? Uhhh... no.

Pretty high grade rifle to turn groups like that.... But it is just factory ammo.

A rifle is only as good as the ammo loaded into it and the shooter..... Even if it is a glossy field and steam rag scribbler doing the shoot'n.

NRA life member
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That M21 test says nothing about the ammo or rifle. I have had rifles that shot one factory load sub moa and another different one over 4"
all depends on what the gun likes, but handloading usually brings out the best in a rifle.

I have one rifle, a 280 AI custom built that shoots Nosler ammo with 140 gr accubonds in .3 moa groups and 162 eldx precision hunter ammo in .5 moa groups. bought a bunch of the Hornady stuff and haven't bothered reloading for it.

Then I have an import 7-08 that shoots 150 gr eldx handloads into half moa groups (bullets seated way out) and will not shoot factory ammo under an inch. I figure the throat was cut for longer round nose bullets, So this on eI load for...

SnT

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bumping this back up. Curious if anybody had any experience with the Core Lokt Tipped ammo this season on game? Shot some out of my Tikka 270 Win Roughtech the other day and it shot 1/2 moa out to 200 yards, but just curious about the on game performance.

Last edited by Motown; 01/13/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
With a green tip it might be a Sierra?

They can make them any color. Tips are gray on the CT ballistic silvertips and colored in the standard Nosler line.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Word on the street is they are hornady sst with a green tip...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.