Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
The leftover draw was today at 9. Apparently they let people log in early so the actual draw starts who knows when. There were 6 licenses on the list that I had applied for and given point instead. Now have 6 points for antelope. So much for the point system.

I got on, in queue then start the password BS. Licenses I wanted gone. They should not let anyone log in until the stated time, or reverse the line for early loggers.

I know the solution is quit or move, easily said.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you saying that you feel people shouldn’t even be allowed to log in to their CPW account before the time comes that particular licenses go on sale?

I am not sure I agree with that, at all.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I got on about 9 MT as that was the time they said to get on. Had about an 8 min. wait. Did get the leftover private land cow tag I was after.

Sorry about your bad luck. First time I used their online service. Last time I got a leftover I was working at the ranch and just got in line the morning they became available with everyone else at the Hot Sulphur Springs station.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel your frustration. I have never been successful at getting a leftover since they went to the online system.

I feel that it should be limited to those of us who bought the qualifying license and applied unsuccessfully, but they didn’t call and ask me.

I’ve heard that people who are more tech savvy than me have programs that auto fill login and CC info to be the fastest on the draw when the tags go on sale. I don’t know anything about it but a CPW employee told me the tech is out there.

Check back next week, you might get lucky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a license a couple years ago from the leftover list, I remember when reading through their instructions they advised logging in early. I logged in and the system made you wait until the official start time before it allowed your selections to be made. Ive been both successful and unsuccessful during that process. I dont have an issue with it.

I am glad they changed the process to where they post an updated list and start over every week. Now you don’t have to babysit the computer all day everyday waiting for a license to appear on the list.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I feel your frustration. I have never been successful at getting a leftover since they went to the online system.

I feel that it should be limited to those of us who bought the qualifying license and applied unsuccessfully, but they didn’t call and ask me.

I’ve heard that people who are more tech savvy than me have programs that auto fill login and CC info to be the fastest on the draw when the tags go on sale. I don’t know anything about it but a CPW employee told me the tech is out there.

I agree that they should notify previously unsuccessful applicants of an available tag they applied for, before posting it as a leftover.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WL205

I agree that they should notify previously unsuccessful applicants of an available tag they applied for, before posting it as a leftover.

Pardon my ignorance…but how can there be a leftover tag if folks had applied for that tag and were unsuccessful in drawing it? That means there were more applicants than tags, right? Maybe you’re referring to folks who applied for any tag unsuccessfully, should have dibs towards the leftovers?

Is this dealing with returned tags or a system like Idaho’s where you need to buy it before a particular date or else it is forfeited?

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Are you saying that you feel people shouldn’t even be allowed to log in to their CPW account before the time comes that particular licenses go on sale?

I am not sure I agree with that, at all.

Yes.

Log into your account any time. But require logging in for something that is not available earlier to start at said time. I will admit to not being computer ssavvy. I could understand one license in Pawnee GL not being paid, but six?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennyd
The leftover draw was today at 9. Apparently they let people log in early so the actual draw starts who knows when. There were 6 licenses on the list that I had applied for and given point instead. Now have 6 points for antelope. So much for the point system.

I got on, in queue then start the password BS. Licenses I wanted gone. They should not let anyone log in until the stated time, or reverse the line for early loggers.

Sounds like it's not a draw at all.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by WL205

Pardon my ignorance…but how can there be a leftover tag if folks had applied for that tag and were unsuccessful in drawing it? That means there were more applicants than tags, right? Maybe you’re referring to folks who applied for any tag unsuccessfully, should have dibs towards the leftovers?

Is this dealing with returned tags or a system like Idaho’s where you need to buy it before a particular date or else it is forfeited?

The leftovers are tags not drawn for lack of applicants, returns, or unpaid for tags that go first back into the leftover draw and then any that come back or are still left get posted to the leftover list to be bought on a first come basis.
Leftover draw gives 100 percent preference to youth applicants.

The beef I have it that to apply in the primary draw you must buy a small game or other applicable license. In the secondary draw and leftover list you don’t have to buy a license. I see no reason to not give preference to people who already have some skin in the game by buying a license and paying application fees. With it all being computerized they could have a weekly drawing for available leftovers from the pool of applicants for the that unit since their info is already in the system.

Another peeve of mine is that when I buy a small game license for approximately $100 and don’t draw but decide to go buy an OTC bull tag I’m still out the full cost of the bull tag. Whereas if you just go buy an OTC bull tag without applying for the draw and buying the required qualifying license you pay the tag fee and that’s it. I would have to check but I think you’re allowed to hunt small game if you have a valid big game license. I’m not driving 600 miles to go hunt rabbits anyway so the small game license does me no good other than allowing me to apply for the draw.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by kennyd

Sounds like it's not a draw at all.

Correct, it's not a draw that the OP is referring to, it's a first come-first serve opportunity. The initial draw has taken place as well as a secondary draw and then comes the leftover list that is happening now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I understand that I may not be that quick on the draw. But to log on at 8:40 and be put in a Queue for 25 min is NOT a level playing field. We can’t all log on an hour early. By 9:05, when it let me in, of course the tag I was after was gone. They said they made it once weekly to level the playing field. They missed the mark badly.

Last edited by txhunter58; 08/02/22.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in at 9:00 am and tag was sold by 9:01 and not to me.I went threw both draws for this tag and didn't draw, and tag sold in less then One min.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do think it would be a good idea to allow those who applied unsuccessfully for a tag to have first dibs to any of those tags that were returned or not paid for in time.

Logging into a system early though is about like standing in line for hours before an office opens, to be first in line. Those who want it most, do what they have to do to be first in line. I really don’t have an issue with that.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I tried to get my daughter a tag, she had applied for the first draw and second draw unsuccessfully. I got a bull tag in the second draw. There were three bull tags for our unit and I didn’t know there would be a line. I logged in at 8:45 and didn’t get to look until 9:05. Oh well she got a bear tag and can be there. Good enough for us. I’ll keep watching in case something comes up, never know when someone may back out. I guess she can also hunt grouse too with her qualifying license, woohoo

Shawn

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just remember, these are somebody’s “good ole days” mid nineties were mine

Shawn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same experience for me today. 9 minute wait. No tag

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to check but I think you’re allowed to hunt small game if you have a valid big game license. I’m not driving 600 miles to go hunt rabbits anyway so the small game license does me no good other than allowing me to apply for the draw.

You are incorrect. The only thing you can hunt in CO with a big game license, in addition to the animal the big game license is for, is coyotes while you are hunting big game. If you want to hunt rabbits, pheasants, grouse etc... you need a small game license. And it also needs to be pointed out that a spring turkey license is also a qualifying license so you can apply for a big game tag without buying a small game license if you bought a turkey tag. If you get caught shooting bunnies in CO without a small game license those are going to expensive bunnies if the warden catches you.

I grew up in CO (born in 1963) and can remember when you just drove to a sporting good store and bought a deer, elk, bear, and mountain lion right over the counter. If I remember correctly the first deer tag I bought in CO when I was 14 was something like $7 and an elk tag was about $12. Bear and lion were $10 each. You have always had to draw pronghorn, sheep and goat (moose were not in the state back then) but you could get a pronghorn every other year if you wanted. My father once told me he used to buy a sportsman license in CO back in the 50s and 60s that had 3 deer tags, an elk tag, bear tag and cougar tag for $20. Demand for tags in CO ruined a lot of good hunting.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CoElk101
I was in at 9:00 am and tag was sold by 9:01 and not to me.I went threw both draws for this tag and didn't draw, and tag sold in less then One min.

My story exactly. Didn't draw in the primary draw, 5 tags left in the secondary, didn't draw. Logged on at 9 and at 9:01 all 5 gone.... I'll see next Tuesday if its on the returned tag list..

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
At this rate I can put a steady rest on my walker next time I hunt goats. Oops. I did say draw when it was a sale.

Might be time to find a friend out east if Denver. My old or private land connections died.

Important part the state still gets money.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.