Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’d to see a full tactical performance run along the southern border……numerous times! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Was expecting a pic of Nancy Pelosi on a plane.....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
So, how does one make a $150K aircraft cost millions and millions of $$$?

And it is still highly vulnerable to small arms fire! We've come a long way baby!

Millions of dollars worth of avionics.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
So, it's an armed slow FAC. With 21st Century goodies replacing the Mk-1 eyeball. I think I know that mission.

Kinda thinking I would rather have an A-10 if it was my ass in the seat.

^^^THIS^^^

I'm not a pilot, but this was my first thought.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Shaft flew a plane......

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Says all you need to know about the DOD. 20 years after something is desperately needed it finally gets purchased. In the meantime high cost high value machines have been run into the ground fighting goat herders. Serious DOD reform has been needed for the last 30 years, but instead we got "Transformational" change that have hollowed out various parts of the US's defense capabilities.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
So, it's an armed slow FAC. With 21st Century goodies replacing the Mk-1 eyeball. I think I know that mission.

Kinda thinking I would rather have an A-10 if it was my ass in the seat.

I vote for A-10 also!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
So, how does one make a $150K aircraft cost millions and millions of $$$?

And it is still highly vulnerable to small arms fire! We've come a long way baby!

Millions of dollars worth of avionics.

30 years of spares and support. You're not buying a plane, you're buying a weapon system that will be judged on mission readiness and capability and that requires support.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Different mission entirely. The A-10 is all attack, not much for recce. A slow FAC is just the opposite. The FAC mission is to find 'em, mark 'em, and bring in the heavy hitters to kill 'em. The addition of some weapons for "instant response" is something we 'Nam FACs always wished we had (and OV-10 guys did have to a small degree). There are times when even a small hit solves a lot of problems, especially with close support of grunts.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
If Shaft flew a plane......

grin grin grin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
From their website, 16,000 pounds gross wt, 8,000 pounds payload, 8 hour endurance. Impressive.

Survivablility? --- A lot of armor, too.

Burns 71 gph at patrolling speed--180 knots at 10,000 feet.

Pretty impressive. If I had one I'd admire it. Couldn't afford to fly it.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anything this administration does has to be PDS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Problem is, with today technology, anything that low and slow (including the A-10) is nothing but a flying grape.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It wouldn’t require a lot of lead from ground fire. Even if it’s in its tightest turn against a MANPAD, it doesn’t go anywhere; there’s no track crossing rate. Pop a flare and it’s not very far behind you.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Okay, not to be Debbie Downer but I see two problems. First, it would be entirely useless in any sort of near peer fight and lots of fights against well equipped goat herders because it is so slow as to be dead meat with almost any sort of AA. Second, better hope the enemy is close because if the fight is very far from the airfield, it will be over by the time that thing gets there.

Other than that, it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Got To Be The Ugliest Thing Flying

I just knew this was about Pelosi's Tiawon trip...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could take it out with my Remington 7400

Imagine what a cartel player might throw at it?

Ohhhhhhhhhh…..youre going to deploy that on a real battlefield? Mmmkay

We’ve been passing out Stingers for 30 years like Now-and-Laters

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I was in a Pilatus a month ago again, incredible proper I’m surprised they didn’t refinedown to meet the need wanted.
Looking at the choice I wonder if part of the decision was based on eventually making it an unmanned aircraft. With the evolution of drones, could this this be a crossover so to speak.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.defensenews.com/air/202...s-sky-warden-for-armed-overwatch-effort/

AFSOC commander Lt. Gen. Jim Slife said last year he hopes Armed Overwatch aircraft will be suited to pressure extremist groups in places like Africa, in which the airspace is essentially uncontested.

That means no surface to air threat either and with it's sensors it should be able to stay above small arms fire.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky
I was in a Pilatus a month ago again, incredible proper I’m surprised they didn’t refinedown to meet the need wanted.
Looking at the choice I wonder if part of the decision was based on eventually making it an unmanned aircraft. With the evolution of drones, could this this be a crossover so to speak.

Osky

I was going to say it seems there are unmanned drones these days that can do this same mission with better capabilities, as much payload, equal or better loitering times, better "eyes in the sky", and did I mention unmanned?

This looks like an answer to a question somebody asked a very long time ago and someone finally decided to try it out just for fun....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.