Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This was my question while nearby fixing fence. In first photo, two horses are looking in the same direction, third horse is looking at another horse wondering what is going on and I don't know what the colt is looking at. Immediately, I saw a bear moving across the pasture, jumped on the ATV and took after it. Managed to get a couple of pictures about 100 yards away and this is the best one.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Two weeks ago my wife took a photo of a bear on her way home from town. They are not common in these parts.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Great pics, except fer no clouds, damnit. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/03/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cool pics RO
Bears weren't common in my area 10 years ago, now they are everywhere.
Everywhere as in don't leave a bag of trash in truck bed overnite.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I think new hunters tend to screw up on - paying attention to what the animals around you are paying attention to.

First thing I taught my son as a runt - when you have deer in front of you and they all stop and look somewhere - SOMETHINGS there. Get ready. Pay attention. They live there, better eyes, ears and noses - use them by proxy.

Neat pics tho and danged good for 100 yards on the fly via ATV. I rarely see bears in WI - occasionally in the Crivitz/near north area.

Me

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Cool pics RO
Bears weren't common in my area 10 years ago, now they are everywhere.
Everywhere as in don't leave a bag of trash in truck bed overnite.

Free lard.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
very cool. It looks they be more common there now !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
One thing I think new hunters tend to screw up on - paying attention to what the animals around you are paying attention to.

First thing I taught my son as a runt - when you have deer in front of you and they all stop and look somewhere - SOMETHINGS there. Get ready. Pay attention. They live there, better eyes, ears and noses - use them by proxy.

Neat pics tho and danged good for 100 yards on the fly via ATV. I rarely see bears in WI - occasionally in the Crivitz/near north area.

Yep.

keep your eyes and ears on where their eyes and ears are pointed.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When on horseback and your horse stops with it's ears straight up pointed in the same direction it is looking, sight right down between them ears!

If your horse then starts to "blow" get ready and wish you were and a mule!

Last edited by Reba; 08/03/22.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You can keep the bears Wayne, the coons here are bad enough.

Cool pictures!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I'm out with my llamas, when 1 looks at something, the rest quickly lock on. When they do that, there's generally something to see.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Reba
When on horseback and your horse stops with it's ears straight up pointed in the same direction it is looking, sight right down between them ears!

If your horse then starts to "blow" get ready and wish you were and a mule!
NE PA out in the woods on a β€œleisurely” ride…. BTDT…

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great pics.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I was predator calling down in SW Idaho, Owyhee Desert, 6 feral horses [stud,4 mares,1 colt] 150-175 yards away and barely looked up when the calling started.

About 10 minutes in they all started staring to my right then the stallion & one big mare started running wild and crazy. Busting through sagebrush making loud vocal sounds, running out the direction they were staring. The colt went between the other mares, all acting very nervous.

I didn't see anything, turned around dead slow lowered the volume, nothing, went through other sounds still nothing. Turned the FoxPro off and sat quiet for about 15 more minutes. Nothing. Got up and headed over the hill to see if there was anything there, peeped over and glassed far and wide,, nothing.

Walked down to the flat desert floor and found fresh wolf tracks, canine tracks as big as softball.

I had just read an extensive article on tracking, the track was as fresh as could be. I got down close and looked as the article said to do, saw little pieces of dirt/sand falling apart as I watched.

I've seen jackrabbits running, birds acting up plus other things that let me know something was rousting them about.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

I've killed several moose by watching another moose's body language. They don't have those ears for nothing, and are clued in to virtually every other moose within a quarter mile, I opine. They'll "point"others, as you stated.

Leading to another opinion, "The best bait for moose is another moose". "Solitary animal", my patootie! They just don't like their company up close, much.

Plus, I have read, and agree with, they are the most vocal of cervids. That means they communicate - which means they are not "solitary".

Years ago there was a nice picture on the front of the Anchorage paper of a dog-team ascending (Rainy?) Pass during the Iditirod. All the dogs had their heads up cocked to one side, looking at something, which made me look closer. I bet not 1 in 100 readers saw the dozens or hundreds of caribou in the distant background.

I passed it around the classroom I was visiting, and asked the kids and teacher to tell me what the dogs were doing. Not one of them clued in to the dog's posture or saw the caribou until I showed them. All they saw was dogs pulling a sled. (and not that well- being distracted)

Last edited by las; 08/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here in my woods squirrels will let you know if anything is on the move nearby.

FJB & FJT
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I hate squirrels when hunting moose. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las

I've killed several moose by watching another moose's body language. They don't have those ears for nothing, and are clued in to virtually every other moose within a quarter mile, I opine. They'll "point"others, as you stated.

Leading to another opinion, "The best bait for moose is another moose". "Solitary animal", my patootie! They just don't like their company up close, much.

Plus, I have read, and agree with, they are the most vocal of cervids. That means they communicate - which means they are not "solitary".

Years ago there was a nice picture on the front of the Anchorage paper of a dog-team ascending (Rainy?) Pass during the Iditirod. All the dogs had their heads up cocked to one side, looking at something, which made me look closer. I bet not 1 in 100 readers saw the dozens or hundreds of caribou in the distant background.

I passed it around the classroom I was visiting, and asked the kids and teacher to tell me what the dogs were doing. Not one of them clued in to the dog's posture or saw the caribou until I showed them. All they saw was dogs pulling a sled. (and not that well- being distracted)

It's stuff like this you learn usually one of 2 ways.

1. Time in the woods, making mistakes
2. Mentors

Articles in Field and Stream don't cover it because no one's paying them for it.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Horses don't miss much. Takes a lot of stealth to sneak up on a truly wild bunch.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Horses don't miss much. Takes a lot of stealth to sneak up on a truly wild bunch.

Yes it is, although cattle- not so much.

I was walking out a few miles back to the truck in the Owyhees well after dark, pitch dark new moon dark. Heard something start rustling, flipped on my headlight and a big dark colored bull was getting to his feet. I was no more than 15 feet from him and let him know I was just passing through. I don't think he ever took a step.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by las

It's stuff like this you learn usually one of 2 ways.

1. Time in the woods, making mistakes
2. Mentors

Articles in Field and Stream don't cover it because no one's paying them for it.

3. Read it on the Campfire ...

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

583 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.