Campfire Outfitter
J
Apparently you guys weren't bad.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hate squash. I had to eat it every day during the Summer as a kid.

We had peach and apple trees in our yard as a kid. There's nothing better than grabbing a fresh peach off of the tree when you've been running around and hot and sweaty.

Home made peach ice cream.

Honeysuckle. The smell of it in the early Summer always makes me think of my childhood.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Figs off the tree. Homemade peach ice cream with fresh peaches.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the tastes of my childhood are still around if I dig for them.

One of the few tastes that are just plain gone is a particular form of pan-fried chicken that was common in these parts when I was younger. Restaurants used to serve it before the days of batter-encrusted deep-fried stuff took over. It's lightly floured and fried crisp in a pan.

Of all the places that served it, the one that epitomized it was a place on RT 50 in Indiana called The Mounds. They served family style all you could eat chicken. My Dad's family was driving out there clear back into the 30s. I think they finally closed up in the 90s.

The style of chicken seemed to be prevalent in Southern Indiana, but a lot of restaurants in Cincinnati served it. I haven't seen it on a menu for years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grandma made terrific homemade bread and sis and I would have a buttered slice of that fresh bread with sugar on it while sitting on grandma’s back porch steps. Fresh tomatoes out of her garden with sugar or salt. She made a leg of lamb roast lots of Sundays with dark brown gravy some of which I always managed to spill on her clean white table cloth.

Mom had a thing called “A new taste experience” that we had once in a while that was memorable and not always delectable. She tried to make grandma’s bread, but it never was the same. One day she actually measured grandma’s handful, because grandma measured her ingredients that way.

My little sister made great fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Deer liver and heart every opening day evening and reason enough to have forgotten to bring them in.

I too heard about all those starving Armenians that would like what we were having when I didn’t. Good memories.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys don't still do that?
I will at times, but the wife likes to grab up the leftover mashed taters for shepherd's pie.

I ain't complainin' either!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ice Cream!!!!!
Be 60 next year.
Gonna eat more Ice cream!!!

All us oldsters luv ice cream don't we???

Gonna eat Ice cream every chance I can get!!!

😄👍👍😄😁😁😁😄😄

I hear there's Spam flavored out there now.

Maybe, if you look hard, you can find some Spaghetti O's or Vienna Sausage flavored Blue Bell?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to pelt each other with figs. They looked like nuttsacks hanging off the neighbor’s tree.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
fresh goose berries, straight from the bush. We'd go out and pick a big bowl full and go sit in front of the TV and eat and watch "Bonanza", dubbed in German......

Hate to say it, but my mother wasn't much of a cook. Her home made sauerkraut was pretty memorable, though.
Dang, thanks for the reminder. I need to put that on the list of plants to get for around this place. Only had a few from a small bush where I lived once. Would love to get enough for pie or such.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Used to pelt each other with figs. They looked like nuttsacks hanging off the neighbor’s tree.
Used to pelt each other with black, fallen, avocados.

That pit hurts when one gets a direct hit.

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to pelt the hell out of some other kids in Florida with guavas and kumquats. lol

Take a guava to the eye socket via slingshot at 900fps. Oh yeah!!!! MFER!!!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We used rocks and bb's like normal people.

Food was too scarce to he used as weapons.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We used rocks and bb's like normal people.

Food was too scarce to he used as weapons.

We had that too.

My friend leroy had to go get a bb cut out of his ass meat.
I don’t think I shot him. We never used more than 3 pumps on 760 Crossman

Was several of us tho. Was also some mean kids. Pedro and TW from Bel Air. Mexican and a negro. Couple years older than us.
My bud Leroy, his sister Penny was like 17 and a lesbo on the basketball team. She kicked both of their asses couple days later. Like black eyes and chit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Tastes from your childhood

Dial soap

Ivory if you were bad.

Palmolive liquid if you were REALLY bad.

This.

Mom was a great cook....

But I can remember the soap. Didn't help she taught at the school.

Dial, Ivory, Palmolive.

I don't remember tasting any Irish Spring, that would have been it for me. I'd have changed my ways for sure.

Must have been too old for the soap thing by the time they came out with that nasty scheidt. I still hate the smell of it if someone showers in it then goes out in public.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Used to pelt the hell out of some other kids in Florida with guavas and kumquats. lol

Take a guava to the eye socket via slingshot at 900fps. Oh yeah!!!! MFER!!!
Eugenia berries, loquats, whatever was handy. Olives don't fly so straight, never can figure out if you're gonna hit friend or foe.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The South is like Eden though. Every yard has something you can pick and either eat or bust a window out with it.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Moms deep fried (in beef lard) donuts and a big glass of cold apple cider.

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Purple Italian plums were the weapon of choice for us kids. The trees produced so many plums that it was impossible to use them all so we’d give away a bunch every year but irregardless of how many we collected the ground was littered with plums. They made great throwing objects because they’d sort of explode on contact leaving an unmistakable stain of plum juice. The yellow jackets loved those fallen plums too. I don’t know how many times I picked up plum to throw at one of my brothers when the yellow jackets came crawling out of the hole in the plum and would sting me. Yellow jackets were my nemesis growing up. I’ve been stung so many times that I’m practically immune now. 😁

Too many tastes and smells from my childhood to list here. I find myself missing those days more and more these days…

Ivory was the worst and Dial left a chemical aftertaste. Dove wasn’t too bad. Even as a kid I’d choose Ivory because it was 99 and 44/100ths % pure. The taste was gross but I figured it wouldn’t hurt me since it was “pure” and clean.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My mom was a great cook, but damn if I didn't love a tv dinner when I was kid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crumbled up burger meat, some diced onion, brown gravy served over rice. Not too expensive to feed a family of seven on a one earner budget.

Lots of "spaghetti". Might be long skettis, might be rottini. Might be lasagna. 3x a week it seems some sort of Italian pasta stuff. Leftovers sometimes fried in the cast iron skillet.

Of course, Friday was baked tuna noodle casserole or baked mac and cheese. Sometimes them g-d fish sticks. Hated them things.

Mom made good roast beef dinners and also pork chops and kraut with egg noodles.

I still make that stuff on occasion. Love it. Can still make a really good version of the spaghetti sauce mom made, she learned from dad's Dago family. No written recipe, so I helped a bunch of times when I was a kid to learn it by heart.

One thing I don't miss is canned veggies from the grocery store, and then they were overcooked some more. Mom was a city gal from the 30's and 40's and was well trained by Green Giant and Del Monte...................convenience was the word. No cleaning veggies at the sink, just open a can.

Don't miss that white bread we always had either. For us it was a treat to be able to get some Hillbilly Bread!

In it is contentment

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.