-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No bears in our neighborhood yet. We do have mountain lions and a $hit metric ton of coyotes. It has been years since I saw stray dogs. Anyway, I started carrying my Glock down to the farm just in case.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Reba
When on horseback and your horse stops with it's ears straight up pointed in the same direction it is looking, sight right down between them ears!

If your horse then starts to "blow" get ready and wish you were and a mule!

Ain't this the truth. My horses always alert us to something we haven't seen or heard before we notice it.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
I hate squirrels when hunting moose. smile

Why? We use squirrels for moose bait.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Old Mike's story reminded me of one mule deer hunt I did in AZ.

Sat to eat my lunch overlooking a cove type area in some scab rock. What the old movies would call a box canyon sort of deal.

Remembered I had a rattling bag in my pack still, probably from hunting whitetail in PA. I was just eating lunch, sitting and watching and figured what the heck, let's make a little noise like a couple of bucks fooling around. Even though it wasn't near the rut, I was hoping some curious buck would come for a look see.

Couple of rattles, couple of bites of lunch, a swig of water, couple more rattles. Maybe a half hour like that?

No deer, but after that little bit I hear a couple of ravens hassling something on the other rim of the canyon. Maybe 150 yards away? I watch and see, they're flying overhead squawking away.

I put the binocs to my eye and watch as a coyote makes its way through the brush to look over the edge of canyon to see what's up. As I was hunting deer with an iron sighted caplock I decided best to just let him turn and walk when I stopped rattling. Didn't want to announce my presence to any deer that might be in the area.

Jays are sometimes as good as crows, ravens, and squirrels at letting one know something is up.

Usually they just let the critters know I'm around though. Bastiges.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Reba
When on horseback and your horse stops with it's ears straight up pointed in the same direction it is looking, sight right down between them ears!

If your horse then starts to "blow" get ready and wish you were and a mule!

I had dozens of encounters with bears. My horses never got bent out of shape to the point of taking off when crossing paths with one. The minute the bear spotted us it bugged out in a hurry.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Squirrels, blue jays, wrens, cardinals are all good critter alarms. Listen up!

If they’re being relatively quiet and then sound off, something is there.

If they’re noisy and all of a sudden shut up, something is there.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice.

Has no relevance, however, I saw my first corn stubble bear this past Spring, also was the first from the freeway bear, in Wisconsin.

Always look to see what stuff is looking at. Grandpa and dad made sure to pass that along,

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We’re they blowing, sounding like a jake brake, too? That makes me jump out of the tent in moose camp.

At 0-dark hundred.

Last edited by ironbender; 08/03/22.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool Pic, that's a big old bear. Big Blocky head, looks big even with summer coat.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.