Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have never hunted coyotes before. But I plan to try this year. After a spring with reduced turkey observations and increased coyote track observations, I figure it can't hurt, and gives me a reason to get out more.

I've never seen a coyote where I turkey hunt, but they are there. I see tons of tracks, and find their fur and bone-chip infused turds on the trails.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And I see more and more coyotes around where I live, some rather large. None with really attractive coats. But tall, long legged animals. The coyote population is growing here in southeast Virginia.

I've been reading a bit about it and plan to get an electronic call and decoy in the next few weeks.

My Dad's "let as little go to waste as possible" mantra he taught me makes if difficult for me to just let it lie, but the furs I've seen on coyotes around here looks kind oif ratty to me. I am just curious what you coyote hunters do with the carcasses?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coyote hides are worth almost nothing where I live. I snap a pic and leave them for the worms.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Buzzards

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kinda like crows? Leave them lay? Never found a use for a dead crow except to feed the opossums.

I also don't have a dedicated varmit gun. I have deer rifles and .22LRs and that's it. This county is a .22 and shotgun only county, EXCEPT for groundhogs and coyotes, both which can be taken with rifles larger than .22. So it will give me chance to do more center fire rifle hunting. There are a few clear cut areas with rolling hills where a longer shot might be conceivable. So I think I'll give it a whirl with my Browning X-Bolt .270. I can't imagine that will do a hide any favors.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/03/22.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your 270 with regular hunting bullets will be easier on hides than many “varmint” rifles and bullets. I’ve shot some epic holes in coyotes with a 22-250 and soft bullets.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good to know.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have a lot more yotes here as well over the past 10 years or so. It's affecting the deer herd where I hunt I think. I've found a few dead Bambies. Mostly, I think that the does are staying away from the places where they're heaviest, like where I hunt. I don't specifically hunt them, but if I can ever get a shot on their azzes while deer hunting, I'm taking the shot. I'll kill every one I can hit, but they're hard to hit because they seem to always be running through the woods. It must be a hunting tactic or something. I rarely see them casually walking. My son had one a few years ago attack his turkey decoy. The decoy was saved and the perpetrator was eliminated.

As far as what to do with it, I throw it in the back of the truck and get it away from where I'm deer hunting. I take it down the road and ditch it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
The hides have no value here either. We hunt them to protect livestock and for fun on a range. We just toss them out of view in a bush or down a crack.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
according to the last fur auction that took place this past June, furs from anywhere in the country aren't going to be worth didley squat come this winter. The worms, same as the buzzards, gotta eat....

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get them away from my hunting area and leave them for the buzzards.

GreggH

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
...So I think I'll give it a whirl with my Browning X-Bolt .270. I can't imagine that will do a hide any favors.

Got one in my friends pasture a couple years ago with a 270 and 130 Berger at about 40 yards. Coyotes can cartwheel. And with that bullet the buzzards job was pretty easy!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a pretty good stack of boxes of Remington Core Lokt 130 grains. Or I may give my Ruger 77 6.5x55 Swedish a go. Haven't killed anything with that yet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There’s a bounty on em here in UT, but the fish cops have made it such a pita to collect that I’m not interested in dealing with them. I leave em lay.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I usually hunt food plots for deer so that's where I'm usually shooting coyotes. Any that come out get dropped. I don't like to leave them in the plots so I'll haul them a few hundred yards away and dump them for the buzzards. If it's other than on a plot they get left where they fall.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
If the hide is exceptional, I might have it tanned. But I have lots on the wall now. Otherwise, were they lay is where they will be. Just a note. I have a good friend that was a federal trapper. His girl friend realized he had the plague. She knew doctors out of state, she was a nurse, and got him the meds he needed. He has never touched another coyote. Unusual sure, but something to think about especially in warmer climates. To me the old saw, if you shoot it use it, came about in the years when ammo was expensive and money scarce. Pa didn't want his kid shooting for no reason so, that is the rule.. Folks have shot stuff for years with out using it. Have at it and have fun.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I ordered an electronic call and decoy. It's certainly not the most costly I could have ordered but seems to get good ratings wherever I've looked.

https://icotec.com/product/gen2-gc350-programmable-call/

https://icotec.com/product/ad400-attachable-electronic-predator-decoy/

It comes pre-programmed with a selection of calls or you can download more from Icotec's library.

https://icotec.com/sound-previews-downloads-gc350-gc500/

Next thurdsay I am going to go put up my game camera looking at a trail intersection where I see these tracks. I'll leave it overnight and see what I get (hopefully not a stolen camera).

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
where they fall is where they stay.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a pretty good stack of boxes of Remington Core Lokt 130 grains. Or I may give my Ruger 77 6.5x55 Swedish a go. Haven't killed anything with that yet.

I'm not sure what your woods are like, but where I hunt, you can barely see 50 or 75 yards until the leaves fall. My problem has always been that the damn coyotes are running through the woods and they're on top of you before you know it. Whenever I'm using a scoped rifle, I have a hard time getting on the target. I'd be using a 12ga with #2 or #4 shot in a 3" magnum. It would be like shooting a big rabbit as they haul azz by you.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 08/04/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
There’s a bounty on em here in UT, but the fish cops have made it such a pita to collect that I’m not interested in dealing with them. I leave em lay.

yea the $50/head ain't worth the BS

lower jaw......left ear......GPS co-ord's

Throw 'em over a fence line

Come back next day & shoot crows & magpies

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

I'm not sure what your woods are like, but where I hunt, you can barely see 50 or 75 yards until the leaves fall. My problem has always been that the damn coyotes are running through the woods and they're on top of you before you know it. Whenever I'm using a scoped rifle, I have a hard time getting on the target. I'd be using a 12ga with #2 or #4 shot in a 3" magnum. It would be like shooting a big rabbit as they haul azz by you.

I'll be hunting on state forest land. The bottom lands are standing hardwood forests. The upland woods are new growth pine, some very thick. And some is clear cut with very young pines and scrub. Visibility ranges from a few yards in the pines to several hundred yards in the clear cuts. There is some rolling terrain.

I may use a shotgun. Rifle (larger than .22) hunting in easterm Virginia is limited, but coyotoes in this county are a notable exception. This will give me a chance to hunt more with a centerfire rifle. May tuirn out that a shotgun will be better and if so I'll do that. But I'm going to use a rifle first, if only because I can.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.