Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
GaryVA

that is a very nice looking rifle. i love the utilitarian look. the hawkeye i am looking at is the alaskan. with the 20" barrel would the contour vary from the 24"? i dont think it would but am not sure.

i noticed your recooil numbers. pretty stout. i do understand that recoil is relivent to each individual, but is it manageable in the canoe-paddle stock/.375 combo? i have shot .375 H&H's with no problems before but these were in 10# rifles. thanks for the link.

p.s. would it very hard to shorten the LOP on one of these stocks?

thanks
jake

I stand by my posts in the link. If a person would have difficulty handling a lightweight 375Ruger, they'd have a problem handling a light weight 375H&H. You should re-read Shoemaker's post above. His anlogy "The weight of a sheep hunting rifle with the power to stop big bears" should be the campaign slogan and bumper sticker for this rifle.

An option would be to find a used mkII laminate take-off from a magnum rifle(7mm-300-338WM) and put a decelerator on it. The stock is much heavier and would dampen the recoil a bit over the mkII or canoe, but the rifle would loose its sheep gun lightness. I think 458's $64 option is closer to ideal and if they ever reshape that stock to match the "African", it would be perfect. That is why I chose the "canoe paddle". It is closer to the shape and trimness of the "African" than the blockier mkII which is why Shoemaker's rasp advice is a pearl of wisdom.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the canoe paddle stock with a 1" decelerator pad would be just the ticket for the 375 Ruger.

Phil,

You got any pictures you can post of your rifle's setup?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooting the 375 Alaskan form the bench, I don't mind the stock so much. However, I think it is a wee bit too long for me, and I also think it's too wide to grab the bolt handle easily.

The pistol grip is..Not a field grip.:)

I'll be swapping it for some good synthetic when I get around to smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just doing a search on 375 Ruger and found this post. I'm seriously considering an Alaskan and don't care for the looks of the Hogue stock either. A couple of questions....

Does the Ruger Canoe Paddle stock have aluminum pillars? In general, I'm wondering what the tradeoff is on accuracy with these stocks.

I've read very little negative feedback on either the Alaskan or African. I'm going back to Alaska for brown bear next year and am almost 100% sure that I'm going to pick up an Alaskan for that trip. Are there any other suggested modifications beside the stock replacement recommended for it?

Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess it depends on how the out of the box trigger feels. I must have the only African that came thru without a good trigger. But a few minutes work took it from mushy 4.25 lbs to fairly crisp just under 3.

I'm also going to glass bed this when I get around to it.
The boat paddle is a very basic (read low cost) molded stock. I believe my contact at the Newport plant quoted their cost as under $15. Bottom line, no pillars.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
My comment regarding the boat paddle and the bandsaw is that those stocks can be cut down pretty easily; they are very tough, much tougher than the newer Ruger synthetic stocks which aren't all that stiff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was at my local SW in Grand Junction Co.
I asked the gun counter manager how the 375 Ruger Alaskan
was selling. He told me that he had 6 and they were all
in the back room awaiting new stocks from ruger!
He said that he got a call from Ruger who said remove them
from the racks and they would send new stocks as soon as
they are made. They didn't specify who was going to make
the stocks but he was guessing Hogue.
I went to Ruger website and could not find anything on this.
This gun manager is a absolute straight shooter.
Charlie

If Ignorance is bliss, then why aren't there more
happy people
If The gun was in the hands of the victim,there would be no
murders,robberies or rapes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hogue made the current abomination for the Alaskan. I sincerely hope Ruger doesn't repeat their error.

I'll be intrigued to hear if MOBD ever gets an answer to his question grin.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger has had all retailers pull the Alaskan off the shelf until they can send out replacement stocks. They have also instructed us to contact anyone who has purchased one to make arrangements for stock replacement. Haven't yet heard what the replacement will be.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just flew in from bear camp tonight and after carrying the new Rugers all year I can say they are just as good as they first appeared. I replaced the Hogue stock on the Alaskan moded and my daughter liked it so much she traded me her stainless 338 M-70 so I cut it down to fit her. She used it on one bear hunt and let me carry it on the last hunt. From a sample size of one I can say the 350 Woodleighs will put a big ( 28 2/16") honest 10 fot bear down right now. I'll have a feature in Rifle or Successful Hunter out this winter on all the details but for right now all I will say is that I I LOVED IT. the rifle is now my daughters and it weighs 7 1/4#
Anyone want a Hogue stock?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Phil, good hearing from you again. Guess the hunting season went well for you, huh? Got any pics?

Last edited by 475Guy; 10/19/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm only partially back as there is still lots of details to finish up but yes the season went well. Half the bears hunters took home B&C bears. I hope to find time to sit down and do a full report with good photos sometime this winter for Successful Hunter so will dave the photos till then.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What stock did you put on yours to replace the Hogue?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Huh, what's Successful Hunter, a magazine for up north? Who puts it out?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Idaho Jim,
I think Phil may have answered your stock question earlier (up the thread) with this:

"I installed a new Ruger synthetic stock on mine. They are avaliable from Brownells for about $64. I even took a rasp to mine and slimmed the forend just ahead of the magazine - which makes it feel better when carrying. It now balances on the front guard screw and the weight on mine dropped from an even eight pounds to 7 pounds 4 ounces. The weight of a sheep hunting rifle with the power to stop big bears."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, he did indeed answer it. Sometimes you miss stuff right in front of you, which is one reason I no longer hunt rattlesnakes by feel. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The factory Ruger stocks hold up very well. I have one on a standard M-77 that was re-barreled to 375 H&H and the one on my daughters new 375 Ruger.
She did discover a problem this year with hers though. I don't know how many rounds we have fired through it - but well over a hundred full power loads. Finally the little flat on the receiver that sits behind the recoil lug and holds the front of the magazine box in place began hammering the magazine box and dented it enough to hinder feeding. It was a simple fix to pound it back straight but I'm going to bed the thing to see if I can fix it. The 375 H&H is bedded and has never done that so I don't expect it will be a big problem to fix. It is something to keep an eye on though.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Uh...Phil?

I think we need a little preview story on the 375 Ruger, the 350 Woodleigh, and a big bear.

Pretty please? laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A preview huh? Lets say that if the 375 Ruger Alaskan and todays bullets were avaliable twenty- six years ago I would probably be happily using it rather than my 458. On honest ten foot, 1200# plus, 28 2/16" skull bears -- the 350 Woodleigh bullets @ 2260fps give complete penetration and massive damage.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil,
I'm probably the last guy to brown nose, but your posts in this thread is why I bought a 375 Ruger. I opted for the African for the longer barrel. Thinking about a synthetic stock for it for a trip up your way. Maybe the OEM Ruger stock you bought is the way to go. Also thinking about a McMillan.

What kind of glass are you wearing on your 375? What's type of terrain are you hunting?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.