Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some years ago I was hunting on a Texas ranch for deer and pigs. One of the guides had a scope on his Remington package rifle that he said resulted in "weird" eye relief when set a different magnifications--and had bumped his eye hard when shooting his 7mm Remington Magnum.

So I showed him (and several of the other hunters on the trip) how to test eye-relief with a small flashlight. Have described this before in various places, including my two books on hunting optics, but ER is easily measured by gently placing the front end of a small flashlight against the objective lens, then turning it on. You can then hold anything from your palm to a piece of paper behind the rear of the scope, then adjust the distance until the image of the exit pupil is clear. Measure the distance from the rear of the eyepiece to the focused exit pupil, and that's the the eye relief.

When I tested the Remington package scope, the eye relief varied from a little under 2.5 inches to 3 inches, depending on the magnification. No wonder he was getting whacked

Have no idea which company made the scope, but no doubt it was some cut-rate manufacturer.

Bushnell and Simmons have never "made" any scopes. Instead they've always contracted to have them built, and the quality varies depending on which company made them, to which price-point.
Thanks MD

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I read somewhere that Bushnell supplied the Remington package deal scopes. I wouldn't use one, but I've seen a lot of them in use, and for the hunter who only deer hunts a few times a year, it would probably get him by for a time.
I was at a LGS a couple weeks back and they have a back room of odds and ends. They had a Remington take off scope, they wanted $100 for that joker, I just laughed and put it back down. They had better scopes at a lot cheaper prices.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ironbender
Who makes the scopes on factory Remingtons?

Highest and best use for a take off?

No idea. I've owned 308 and 30-06 Package Rifles but never fired a shot with either the factory scope or mounts in place. I did notice that the mounts on the 30-06 were just barely enough to keep the scope from falling off of the rifle before I got to my car.

Not a lot of faith in either the scope or the rings/bases. I gave them away.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well back in the bad old days of the late 70's and early 80's lots of 788 remingtons got sold with cheap rings and bases holding a 4x tasco. More than a few of them still going afield ever fall. They are what they are if you don"t like them just get your money out, no one forced you to buy'em...mb
My SIL has a Remington 788 from 1971 with a packaged Universal UE 4x scope in Tasco style mounts. Still rugged and reliable after all these years.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
those scope will work for the majority of hunters....

Those that shoot twice a year.

Once, to hit a dinner plate and call it good.

Once to put a deer in the freezer.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Years ago, I let a local boy use my shooting range the day before deer season so he could check the zero on his scope. He'd bought a Savage 110 on layaway at Walmart, one that came with a scope. I watched as he set an old 5 gallon bucket out about 50 yards or so away. He had bought a box of 270's, and when he hit the bucket on the third shot, he said the gun was shooting good enough to kill a deer and he wasn't going to shoot it anymore, because he needed the rest of the ammo.

He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him he'd better shoot it a bunch more. The funny thing was that he did kill a deer with it during the season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks all. This scope has no manufacturer ID on it. I guess I’ll set it aside ‘just in case’.

I take those scopes apart for the occular piece. They make nice magnifiers for the loading bench.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Years ago, I let a local boy use my shooting range the day before deer season so he could check the zero on his scope. He'd bought a Savage 110 on layaway at Walmart, one that came with a scope. I watched as he set an old 5 gallon bucket out about 50 yards or so away. He had bought a box of 270's, and when he hit the bucket on the third shot, he said the gun was shooting good enough to kill a deer and he wasn't going to shoot it anymore, because he needed the rest of the ammo.

He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him he'd better shoot it a bunch more. The funny thing was that he did kill a deer with it during the season.
I've watched my hunting partner check zero on his rifle several times. He sets a gallon milk jug out at the far end of his lawn which is 80 yards from his driveway, rests his elbows over the hood of his truck and fires 3 shots. If they all hit the jug somewhere he's good to go. He usually kills a half dozen deer every year and his living room is ringed with trophy buck mounts on every wall..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only "package" scopes have been the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm that came w/ the Mossberg Patriots.

Opted for them over the unbranded fodder.

Good scopes w/ no problems so far, lifetime factory warranty.

[Linked Image from mossberg.com]

GR

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How many of you have purchased a rifle because it came with a scope?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won an American Legion raffle - a 243 Axis, it came with a Weaver 3x9 scope. I thought that scope was a keeper. I sold the rifle, and the scope is waiting for an appropriate rifle. The scopes that Remington put on their last cheap rifles, I put them on the table at gun shows for $20 or maybe even less - They might be OK for a 223 or less powerful cartridge rifle though, IDK.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/06/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've bought several, but most often a used rifle with a higher-quality scope. (Also once purchased a Savage 99 .300 Savage mostly because it had an old tang safety I wanted. Already had several .300s so wanted the sight more than the rifle....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'll be more specific. How many of you have purchased a new rifle because Savage, or some other company, has included a scope?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I'll be more specific. How many of you have purchased a new rifle because Savage, or some other company, has included a scope?

Alot less frequently than your idiotic posts that's for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
woodmaster81,

I had a similar experience with Simmons a number of years ago. Against my better judgment, I purchased a Simmons 4x32 on the advice of an individual who writes for a living. I mounted mine on a 30-30 H&R rifle. It was sighted in with five shots. I had some reloads that I wanted to test and began firing. After a few shots the group was pretty big, so I assumed that it was the load.

I tried three shots from a second load and the same thing happened.

I got up, walked around and tried again. When I took aim, I noticed the reticle had moved. It was rolling to the right. Including sighting the rifle in, I had fired 13 shots, if I recall correctly.

Lesson relearned.

I reread the article praising the Simmons and figured that the writer received a pre-production model. These are hand assembled and there is greater attention to detail. As well, they are often made with parts that will not be used in the production models.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Alot less frequently than your idiotic posts that's for sure.

For the win !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a scope that came with a rifle …
B&L 4000 1.5-6x36 in perfect condition attached to a .30’06 Mauser, soon traded away.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338Rules
B&L 4000 1.5-6x36 in perfect condition attached to a .30’06 Mauser, soon traded away.
I’d take. B&L 4000 in 1.5-6x36 all day long if in good shape. Perfect lever gun scope.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I’d take. B&L 4000 in 1.5-6x36 all day long if in good shape. Perfect lever gun scope.

I really liked that scope. I bought a ported Marlin 45-70 when they first came out and that was what I had on it. I took it moose hunting and the first day of the trip and got a calf. They were a great bush scope.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was it Howa that offered a zeiss terra 3 on a 1500 combo a few years ago?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.