Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
pak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was sitting and thinking about stuff that was commonly found in old cabins, especially the remote cabins where items were ever removed. One such oroduct came to mind and it is Buach(sp). A smoldering ring of bug repellent that was everywhere fish camp, moose camp, duck camp, airplane stuff, stuff etc. I don't know if it is still sold.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back in the early 70's, my best friend and I were hunting just south of Tazlina when we stumbled across a tiny old cabin built against the hillside in a draw. Typical trappers/prospector's cabin, the walls were short, with a barely sloped roof covered in dirt and moss.
The door was secured with a large crossbar and we could tell that no one had opened it in a very long time.

We lifted the bar and stepped inside. It was just as it had been left, possibly decades earlier. The walls were covered in layers of old newspapers to seal out the drafts. The newest one we found was from the late 1940's. All of the cookware and utensils were there, there was a small stash of kindling and firewood next to the old steel wood stove, and there were blankets folded up on the bed. There was an old kerosene lamp on the table and a couple of candles on a small shelf above it.

There wasn't the first sign of any food items and the mice and squirrels had pretty much left everything alone. The cache had collapsed sometime in the distant past and there was no discernible path from the cabin to where it lay.

We closed the cabin back up as we found it and went on hunting.

I tried to find it again many years later, but never could.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
TY for sharing that APDD...........

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ed,

No 1895 Winchesters just laying about????😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
finally, a thread about something interesting, get tired of the political and what to do about travel, I enjoy this forum for stuff like this and bear stories.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a crosscut saw I found in an old trappers cabin in the Idaho backcountry. It was brand ‘new’. Looking at the teeth style on the internet I think it was from the teens. I threw it on the pack saddle and brought it out and it now hangs on my wall.

Never found anything like that in Alaska though.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn in all my wanderings in this state I haven’t ran into anything interesting. Seen stuff that makes you go wtf! Ford 250 sitting in the middle of the delta river is one of them.. or the guys I ran into at the hub one night, they had a bull mooose. Asked where they were at they said the chisto I was oh damn how was the trail?? They said we had leave a razor back their broke 3 axles and broke the transmission.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pak
I was sitting and thinking about stuff that was commonly found in old cabins, especially the remote cabins where items were ever removed. One such oroduct came to mind and it is Buach(sp). A smoldering ring of bug repellent that was everywhere fish camp, moose camp, duck camp, airplane stuff, stuff etc. I don't know if it is still sold.
You're talking about Buhach. I was able to buy it at Samson's Hardware in Fairbanks up until about 2011-12, but there hasn't been any around for a long time now. I believe the company that made it went out of business.

Last edited by akpls; 08/04/22.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ed,

No 1895 Winchesters just laying about????😉
No 1895 Winchesters but plenty of 1894's, 71's, and 1886's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Out somewhere in the desert outside of Apache Junction Arizona our old friend had a claim on an amethyst mine and the spoils pile alone I wish I could find again. There was an old low walled cabin from the fellow that originally staked the claim. The jars and glasses alone would be worth something today. Back then they made good targets for the .38 I got to carry in the desert when I was a kid. I’d love to locate that place again…

Ohh…that old cabin had 1895’s still in their original crates with the 1896 shipping receipts. Crates and crates full that were well preserved, like new in fact. We just used the 1895’s for firewood and kindling since wood was scarce. 😁. I still have all the original big wooden crates though. 😂

Last edited by AcesNeights; 08/05/22.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As a kid I ventured far up a canyon outside Tonapah, NV with a friend and his geologist father. We came across a couple old cabins on a claim, and while dad went to explore a nearby shaft we ventured into one cabin with our .22 and found it skittering with packrats. The cabin didn't have much in it that would have brought comfort or collectibles, so we started plinking rats. One hid behind a board up on a rafter, and my friend shot thru the board, which shockingly triggered a substantial explosion. My buddy and his rifle foreend took most the blast, we both were knocked to the ground, and there was a hole in the roof you could throw a rocking chair through. The rat was nowhere to be found, or more likely everywhere. Luckily we didn't lose eyes or much blood. It was a slog getting to the hospital, but we made the local newspaper! Fifty years later I still have a scar on my chest where something glanced past putting entry-exit holes through my shirt. My buddy was full of splinters, small pebbles and other bits suspiciously looking like rat bone which floated out of his hide over ensuing weeks. Blasting caps? We were happy enough to just be alive that we never tried to figure it out. Be careful out there!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not alaska, but as a kid there was a creek my Dad would take me fishing on. Maybe 100 yds from the creek I stumbled on a dump that every farm seemed to have. It was full of those old glass insulators that people seem to collect. Next time we brought our 22's and had a blast shooting those things. 100's of them. I remember them being pretty tough and if not hit right the bullet would bounce off. What would they be worth now?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Was reclaiming wood from an old house ( with permission from the land owner ) about 5 years ago - nothing special just some rough sawn timbers and boards for projects I had in mind. Pried one off the wall and found a blue half gallon mason jar about full of coins. No gold only old pennies and silver. Gave it to the land owner and he then poured out and gave me a handful of them. Couple of Morgans and half dollars in the mix.

Found out about a year ago his crack head grandson stole and traded them for drugs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by blairvt
Not alaska, but as a kid there was a creek my Dad would take me fishing on. Maybe 100 yds from the creek I stumbled on a dump that every farm seemed to have. It was full of those old glass insulators that people seem to collect. Next time we brought our 22's and had a blast shooting those things. 100's of them. I remember them being pretty tough and if not hit right the bullet would bounce off. What would they be worth now?

At today's prices I think I would try to revisit that spot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Blazo cans or their remnants in the form of shingles or patches over drafty holes in walls were a mainstay in some I’ve been to.

Found an old Jonsenrd chainsaw with an alder stob whittled to form a cork for the missing bar oil cap. Started right up with some fresh gas and used it to cut some wood for a fire.

I did have a chance to buy a couple 95s that came out of old cabins but they were pretty rough. Should have bought at least one.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This was in Maryland, not Alaska, but it was an interesting find.

Across the road from my house is a cattle farm that was owned by an elderly couple. I didn't know them, but about 15 years ago, the old man died. Shortly after that, their daughter and her husband subdivided a lot off of the farm and built a house. I've met the husband, but he's a weird azzhole and doesn't get along with the other neighbors. Out in one of the fields along side of the creek was an old run down cabin. Been there as long as I can remember and never really thought about it. One day the son-in-law decides he's gonna clean out the old cabin and see what's inside. He starts digging through the piles of junk that's stacked in there and comes across several wooden boxes full of dynamite. No telling how old this stuff was, but he backed out and called the fire dept. It was probably unstable. My wife called me at work to tell me that there was a bunch of commotion and they had the road shut down. About an hour later they blew it up. My wife said that it shook the house, but no broken windows. She said it was a pretty good blast.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Cool stories

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i always wonder how life was for these people who lived in these remote cabins that many of them built themselves. i have never found anything yet that i wanted maybe someday ? 50 some years ago i remember talking to a old trapper who had a small tar paper shack he lived in on 40 acres he homesteaded on out in the woods he was probably in his 70`s then wood fire always year around ,kerosene lantern , no electric the DNR and county tax people left him alone i know dang well he lived on deer meat and other critters.my dad always gave him a bottle of whiskey and some type of food too that made the old trapper happy , we always parked in his yard when that two track was dry or froze. when i was young i thought how can someone live that way ? now i understand the old trapper being alone he had a better simple life than most of us do very few worries.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Got an old hunters cabin from the 40's on my lease in the Hill Country that was a nice at one time. Land owner sleeps in it sometime along with the rats,coons,and nesting buzzards.Has a cool little woodstove that I've tried to buy from him and he won't sell.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Lslite
Got an old hunters cabin from the 40's on my lease in the Hill Country that was a nice at one time. Land owner sleeps in it sometime along with the rats,coons,and nesting buzzards.Has a cool little woodstove that I've tried to buy from him and he won't sell.

Where abouts is your lease LSlite? Nothing specific, just general.

We have an old deer cabin on back of the ranch here. Sheet iron bldg. It’s been there since I was a kid. Probably dates from the 50’s sometime. Our lease hunters still use it. They have made a lot of improvements at the camp. Kitchen, shower, outhouse and such. They are all good fellas.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.