Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a lot of just plain silly comments in this thread. Some out of humor, but others bone ignorance.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There are a lot of just plain silly comments in this thread. Some out of humor, but others bone ignorance.

Well then splain it to us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm surprised the rest of the experts haven't chimed in...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mirage243

Hehe hehe!

Yeah...they normally don't do that.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hehe hehe!

Grasshoppers?

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are literally hundreds of T-34C Turbo Mentors sitting in the desert at Davis-Monthan AFB that could easily be converted to "crop dusters" or whatever, instead of buying this one. Then again, there is always the possibility that some politician has their hand in the till. I'll say it again though, I really don't see ANY need for this platform other than what I originally posted

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, there are lots of Special Ops missions in places of low to no threat where all other platforms are too fast, too expensive, insufficient loiter, or otherwise incompatible. We don't need hundreds of such aircraft, but we do need a few. Note that the AT-802 is being bought to replace and improve upon an existing platform, so the mission is clearly there and being flown.

You would never argue that SEAL teams have no use because they are too small, too lightly armed, and would never survive against a full enemy army, would you? This plane is a rough analogy to a SEAL team.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, there are lots of Special Ops missions in places of low to no threat where all other platforms are too fast, too expensive, insufficient loiter, or otherwise incompatible. We don't need hundreds of such aircraft, but we do need a few. Note that the AT-802 is being bought to replace and improve upon an existing platform, so the mission is clearly there and being flown.

You would never argue that SEAL teams have no use because they are too small, too lightly armed, and would never survive against a full enemy army, would you? This plane is a rough analogy to a SEAL team.

I'd also think you might use this instead of a UAV when the risk of loss is high- how much tech could be reversed engineered from a blown up and burned cropduster vs UAV - by the Chinese or someone?

Don't always take the F1 Ferrari to go get milk - type of thing.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've watched crop-dusters from the highways almost daily for the last 2wks or so. They sure can turn, climb, and descend in a heck of a hurry.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hehe hehe!

Grasshoppers?

Chinese grasshoppers.

They got microphones in them!

How's that for a connected dot?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can we just not bring back the king of them all....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Grasshoppers?

Chinese grasshoppers.

How's that for a connected dot?[/quote]

Bet them mofos have chips in em too!

Splains why I can't get my 2022 superduty 3500 Denali!

Bastids!

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Have the OV-10s been retired? I'm not seeing your SEAL Team analogy sorry and my question was to address as to why existing helos for example that have a decent cruise speed could not do the same mission. As to the rest, just having fun with the "fringe"...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sactoller
Can we just not bring back the king of them all....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

SOLD!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My God, what a beast. Has an amazing amount of fire power and fantastic Loiter time. Also has the Dubious recognition of being a Mig killer…

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
How many will be operated by the Department of Homeland Security?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One major problem with re-creating the A-1 is avgas. To support that one aircraft, you'd need an entirely separate logistics line of just the fuel, in addition to going back to a piston engine and all their maintenance needs. You'd probably triple the logistics costs. (Not to mention that the jigs to manufacture the planes and engines are long gone.)

Jorge, my SEAL analogy is based on having a right-sized, highly capable resource at hand to perform "stitch in time" missions. People who argue that this plane would be useless in peer to peer engagements are missing the whole point. To make yet another analogy, a fire extinguisher may be useless against a wildfire, but that doesn't mean we don't need fire extinguishers.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What other fixed wing aircraft is capable of landing in a corn field, filling up out of an L tank in a Toyota and flying away mostly unnoticed?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[
Originally Posted by JoeBob
How many will be operated by the Department of Homeland Security?

Great thought...

Too bad Air Tractor is ESOP owned.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Grasshoppers?

Chinese grasshoppers.

How's that for a connected dot?

Bet them mofos have chips in em too!

Splains why I can't get my 2022 superduty 3500 Denali!

Bastids![/quote]

Double Bastids!

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.