Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
grt0404 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have a Mauser 98 sporterized by my grandfather, originally he had a Weaver side mount scope installed. I have the correct side mount installed for the lm large ring receiver but the rings are offset to the right side of the receiver. Do they make ring for the sidemount that have the scope online with the barrel? Or does anyone have the correct rings lm aying around they would part with? Your help would be appreciated.

Last edited by grt0404; 08/04/22.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by grt0404
I have a Mauser 98 sporterized by my grandfather, originally he had a Weaver side mount scope installed. I have the correct side mount installed for the lm large ring receiver but the rings are offset to the right side of the receiver. Do they make ring for the sidemount that have the scope online with the barrel? Or does anyone have the correct rings lm aying around they would part with? Your help would be appreciated.

It would be worth getting the bolt bent and the action drilled and tapped for commonly available mounts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here...but I think Weaver got a little lazy back in the day of sidemount popularity. LR 98's are a hair over 1.4" dia, the most popular rifle of the cottage industry sporterizing was the 03 Springfield at 1.3" receiver dia. (also the small ring Mauser) and they just went with the 1.3" design, to reduce inventory and manufacturing, thinking nobody would mind if the scope was .050" off centerline. Just my opinion.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
grt0404 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The bolt is bent and it us set up for both side mount and Unertl scope bases. I have been looking for an affordable Unertl scope but the prices are really high. So I am going the side mount route to use a scope that I have until I can find a Unertl at a decent price.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hard to say without a picture, but would bet that the offset you describe is because both rifle scopes and Weaver side mounts have evolved a bit since your grandfather scoped the rifle. I ran into the same issue when mounting a scope on a Remington 1100 slug gun that came with a side mount attached to it.

The first pic shows two Weaver detachable side mounts, one old model (top of pic) and the other (bottom of pic) a recent purchase. Note the gap that exists between scope tube and mounting plate on the newer mount, which moves the scope tube higher and to the right when compared to the older one. I would guess that that this change was made in order to accommodate the turret housings, which in newer scopes are tend to be larger and extend outward around the entire circumference of the tube. Ultimately it was necessary to search eBay for an early top mount, and to use a scope that the mount would accommodate.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

For reference, here are pics of the two mounts on a Rem 1100. Big difference for sure.

Last edited by TeeBone; 08/04/22.
IC B2

G
grt0404 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mine is similar to the bottom picture. Thought about putting a shim behind the sidemount but I would need to remove material from the stock to do it, and I really don't want to molest my grandfather's work.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I'm no expert in all this. But suggesting it 'might be worthwhile' to have a few good photos of the action and mount for the experts analysis. Might save you some time and effort as cheap as some minutes in quik pix.
Just my take.
Best!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent explanation and illustrations, Teebone.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yours may be the ring mount for the M94 Winchester which is offset to the right due to ejection issues, Bay a new ring mount , Midway has them!

Hip

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Yours may be the ring mount for the M94 Winchester which is offset to the right due to ejection issues, Bay a new ring mount , Midway has them!

Hip

That would be helpful. The only current offering that I could locate is the one pictured, which is most often cataloged as a high mount. Haven't found any other height, or offset, listed recently. Perhaps they are out there.

The Weavers aren't the most attractive mounting system, but are adequately rigid and serviceable. Greatest risk is in losing your sanity while leveling the crosshairs. I would choose them over old Pachmayr swing mounts, which I've never found to hold zero very well. It seems the Pachmayrs were considered a pretty good mount in their day, though it always makes me cringe when seeing fine custom rifles wearing them.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I never knew them to have different heights----but I could be wrong!

Hip

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hipshoot

Hip

Are you sure about that? Offset to the left would allow top ejection, to the right impedes it further.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bolt is bent and it us set up for both side mount and Unertl scope bases. I have been looking for an affordable Unertl scope but the prices are really high. So I am going the side mount route to use a scope that I have until I can find a Unertl at a decent price.

Therein lies the best solution, IMO, if bench shooting is in the cards. Don't limit yourself to Unertl (although that's a splendid goal), Feckers and Lyman Targetspots and Supertargetspots will serve you equally well and are generally a bit cheaper. Litscherts work well too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
grt0404 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I would be happy with any of those scope platforms. Today's prices are over the top. I have been searching for one at a decent price for quite a while and will continue looking.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Sorry----you are correct!

Hip

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The high mount uses a different base that is on a different angle to center the scope over the receiver. I can't seem to take pictures small enough to post on this platform if I could I would be able to show you the difference.

The number 1 base is for your receiver and low ring set.

The letter U base is for your receiver and the high ring set.

If you look at a U base next to a 1 base the U base looks like it was shaved on the inside and made narrower at the bottom canting to the left to get the ring set centered. That's your problem the wrong ring set on the wrong base. You need to look at the base see what is stamped in it and get the matching ring set.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
grt0404 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oldfoneguy what I have is Weaver base 5 for large ring 1.410 and Weaver rings 49350

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Oldfoneguy what I have is Weaver base 5 for large ring 1.410 and Weaver rings 49350

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/mounts/weaver-side-mount-1-rings-good

I found the above after an extensive search. It seems only the high and high long ring sets are currently available new. You need the 1" low ring set which show as available on the above site. They have several varieties including NOS and used with various states of finish wear. They can also be found on ebay almost all the time. The set you have are high standard length and are incorrect for your base.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.