Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
First Ranch i bought in 1965, was a bank repo, was about 20 miles South of Jackson, Wyo i was riding horse back checking it out, found a old small cabin in the North East corner just about 100' inside the property line, the roof was caved in it was not looking good, had a native rock fire place, i got to digging around in the fire place and found a small copper tea pot, polished it up looks great still have it.
Rio7

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shot a couple of small Brown Bears off the Yetna drainage a lot of years ago, cabin bears that were wreaking havoc.
One of the bears had dug in under an old cabin had some neat stuff, knives and stuff left it all but removed the bear!

One of the bear had a lot of bird shot under the hide all around his butt!

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/05/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother in law who is 93 and lives in Reno tells of climbing down a gawd awful grade to a abandon old miner's shack. He says the shack was a mess but it was untouched and when he went to leave he spotted a rifle hung above the door. He says it was an old beat up Sharps rifle and it took all he could to carry it up the climb out. I asked to see it but he said he had given it to a friend that wanted it. He's not the type of guy that tells stories so believe this to be true.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There was a small stampede after the 1901 stock crash around here as guys, and families, that had no hope of finding a job moved to gold country to squat in cabins and on claims. They had hopes of squeaking out a few cents a day mining, keeping big gardens, killing the hell out of nearly anything that could be called meat. One of those old cabins near me has just about melted into the ground, but there is plenty of 'stuff' in his dump. I think the old guy was a hypochondriac or just plain addict, or likely in a helluva lot of pain. I have excavated dozens of old bottles from the site, and the more famous ones all had two things in common...laudanum and alcohol. Whoever he may have been, he lived a hard, hard life judging from the wore out shovels, picks, saws and axes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bearrr264 and his Father found a Marlin 1893 carbine in a tumbled down trapper's cabin somewhere in the brush of northern Quebec back in the late 1950s or early 1960s. They had flown in to a remote lake with canoes and gear, even firearms with no questions asked. He told me that they turned it in to the RCMP on their way home.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I live in an mountain valley and behind my residence is an old miners shack. The view from my front yard has thus old thing.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Very interesting stories! Thanks for the thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska is a big state with thousands of interesting old cabins. I have found full tins of DDT and a few old weapons. Including two Sharps that had at one time been in a fire

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was heading down the mountain and back to camp at the end of a day hunting elk in western Co.
Somehow I missed the usual chute that would lead me to the trail down and out ,so I took the next likely slot down.
It led me to a bench that held the remains of a cabin with a caved in roof, a small rusty bed frame and a cook stove.
After poking around for a few minutes looking for treasure I slid on down and out to get back to camp.

I was always going to rescue the stove "someday" but I didn't have the drive to get it that the owner had...

A few years before, my roommate was hiking the hills west of Denver, bushwacking away from the trails and stopped to rest.
He spotted a leveraction rifle leaning against an old broken tree. Win 25-20 badly weathered.
No saving it as a shooter but a cool find!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A guy I know had a perfectly preserved bottle, from the 1910s maybe just judging by the styling of the paper label, it was 3/4 full of Cod Liver oil. What that’s supposed to cure I don’t know, but it came from a long abandoned trappers cabin.

Cousin and his buddy used to hike a couple miles up into the hills near where they grew up in NM. They were teenagers and had been there a hundred times when they carried the buddy’s baby brother up there once while they had to babysit. When they walked in the little guy, probably shy of 2 years old at the time, started reaching and saying “Gun gun gun”. They looked where he was reaching and up by the rafters stuck in a crack was a revolver grip peeking out. They pulled it down and unwrapped the rag it was rolled in they found a pretty nice 1858 Remington revolver.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Old outlaw, ranch line shack, then miner cabin In sw co found pretty much a working house including running water gravity fed. My dad had told me about it before he died and I went looking.
3/4 mile away stove and piano in another. Both burned down by the blm clowns a couple of decades later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Uncle bought a Montana ranch next to his when the old couple retired. It had a remote old line camp log cabin on the place. He said when he first went inside it was as if someone just finished a meal and walked away. I have the copper boiler. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
For folks out on float trips in remote Alaska just remember that if it appears to be abandoned it still may be private property. One of my friends Traver had all of their family pictures and many of their guns taken by float hunters who then sought to sell the pictures of his step dad Bob Harte from the Last Alaskans on eBay. Stealing from a trap line cabin is akin to murder because many times this is stuff that people have stored up to survive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scrounged thru this old cabin a couple of times and the most remarkable item was a tin of 38-55 Win. cartridges.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t found any old cabins in Alaska that I have entered while out and about, it I have found old homesteads in MT and AR while out hunting. Nothing of real interests in them other than some abandoned jars and old appliances. I have seen a few cars a trucks miles from roads here in AK and wondered how the hell they got there.

Not a hunting story, but around 1986 or 87, my uncle had my cousin and I clean up a mobile home as he used to move them for a living. We were told it was ketchup, yeah it was not, it was blood. Later found out the former owner had killed his family in it and we were cleaning up all the old blood with no hazmat suits or anything. Just some rubber gloves, bleach, 409, and paper towels. My cousin and I were 11 or 12 so we didn’t know any better.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/05/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the '60s we found a carved podium in a burnpile at Tex Smith Lake/Roadhouse. Tex Smith fancied himself an orator but it was his son whom bacame infamous. He and another killed a Kansas farm family after being told in prison they had tons of cash in hand. Truman Capote wrote the story "In Cold Blood." Capote gave a talk here in the early '70s and my parents showed him the piece, which he tried to buy. My sister took it to the Antiques Road Show here in town years ago.

Port Hobron near Kodiak is a ghost town with whale fat rendering tanks, cabins with only their foundations telegraphing. Mostly tiny cabins, smaller than 6'x6', but mostly gone. I would love to wander around with a metal detector.

Prince William Sound has a bunch of miners' cabins but the simple work of getting to them is daunting for a day hike...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaboku68
For folks out on float trips in remote Alaska just remember that if it appears to be abandoned it still may be private property. One of my friends Traver had all of their family pictures and many of their guns taken by float hunters who then sought to sell the pictures of his step dad Bob Harte from the Last Alaskans on eBay. Stealing from a trap line cabin is akin to murder because many times this is stuff that people have stored up to survive.

Along with mines that "look" abandoned.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
We're up in Comfort Kaywoodie, been there going on 20yrs.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I rode my white horse in on Christmas Day to find the cabins. Dedicated the day to remembering.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kaboku68
And yet, BLM burned many.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.