Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pullit
Yotes have always been a "target of opportunity" for me. I would be hunting something else (usually deer) and one would come by and never leave.

Absolutely! No matter what I'm hunting, if a coyote comes along, I'm coyote hunting! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I ordered an electronic call and decoy. It's certainly not the most costly I could have ordered but seems to get good ratings wherever I've looked.

https://icotec.com/product/gen2-gc350-programmable-call/

https://icotec.com/product/ad400-attachable-electronic-predator-decoy/

It comes pre-programmed with a selection of calls or you can download more from Icotec's library.

https://icotec.com/sound-previews-downloads-gc350-gc500/

Next thurdsay I am going to go put up my game camera looking at a trail intersection where I see these tracks. I'll leave it overnight and see what I get (hopefully not a stolen camera).

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Best coyote call I ever used was back in the 70's out in SW Nebraska. Rancher tied/hung a chicken upside down from a tree branch, did it ever call in the coyotes! Pretty sure that's no longer a legal call!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That probably was a good call. I'll check and see of there is a "Upside down chicken in distress call" sound file I can download and use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beginning coyote hunters worry about the wrong things. Beginners worry about the call and the gun. Those two things aren't problems, a good hand call and about any firearm can do just fine. The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. If there are coyotes around getting a coyote to respond to the call in such a place and in a manner in which you can kill it is the hard part. That's called the set-up or the stand. And it's no different than calling gobblers. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy. Same for young of the year coyotes. Coyotes in October and early November come pretty easy. It is the four year old gobbler that will give you a fit and it is the same way for mature coyotes. Now you better plan on using wind direction, cover and terrain to your advantage, make decent sounds, don't fidget and move around and be able to shoot when the time comes. Kill old mature coyotes consistently and then you're a coyote hunter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you say gobblers smell you from long distances ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He's making a deliberate literary false analogy in order to illustrate a point. He's saying a coyote is "like" a gobbler that can smell you from long distances. He's not saying gobblers can smell you from long distances.

edit for typos

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/04/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
He's making a deliberate literary false anology in order to illustrate a point. He's saying a coyote is "like" a gobbler than can smell you from long distances. He's not saying gobblers can smell you from long distances.

Thanks...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MOGC
The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy.

GlockheAd maybe that's how you read it since we know that you know literally nothing about turkey hunting or coyote hunting.

Coyote and turkey hunting have very little in common.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

A statement like that makes me wonder just how much YOU know about either one.............

Maybe when you've hunted turkeys as long as I have, you'll figure it out. smirk

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by MOGC
The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy.

GlockheAd maybe that's how you read it since we know that you know literally nothing about turkey hunting or coyote hunting.

"Coyote and turkey hunting have very little in common."

Can you explain and clarify that statement please?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One is a predator/mammal with a bigger brain the other is a bird with a brain no bigger than a pecan with the mental capability of glOck head or yOderboy....

The coyote requires full camo and you have to play the winds....he has two defense systems his nose and his vision. The turkey only has one defense system his eyes.

You can't hunt the same farm for days on end and kill coyotes with turkeys you can.

Turkey hunting doesn't require full camo and the wind isn't involved.....

Both require skill to hunt if you don't use a blind or decoys.

I've hunted both successfully for years......for close to 50 years.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC

A statement like that makes me wonder just how much YOU know about either one.............

Maybe when you've hunted turkeys as long as I have, you'll figure it out. smirk

You're full of chit as usual....

I might add with the exception of glOck head you are no doubt the goofiest person I've ever ran into on the internet....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My electronic predator call is coming today. I was looking for sound file to load to it. I found this "animal in distress" sound file that sounds like a small dog that has just been run over by a car and is choking on blood but hasn't died yet. It's a pitful sound that is sure to bring in a coyote looking for an easy meal.

https://voca.ro/1j90a4CMiAgK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
I've hunted both successfully for years......for close to 50 years.

HOW close to 50 years, Luther ??

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
10Glocks, what have you heard in the area you want to do this? Try to match what you've heard. If you really want to get into this, learn the mouth calls and what to call and when. A little mouse squeaker can go a long way, and watch downwind! Always watch down wind! I have an electronic caller, still new in the box, never been used. I use a howler, for barks and howls, a distress call and a mouse squeaker. I got the electronic caller one winter when it was so cold the mouth calls kept freezing up on me. Learn the calls and the cadence of the calls. Stop a distress call as sharply as you can to mimic a quick demise of the whatever. Predator hunting is really cool hunting and their senses are through the roof. Enjoy and watch downwind! Lol!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
My electronic predator call is coming today. I was looking for sound file to load to it. I found this "animal in distress" sound file that sounds like a small dog that has just been run over by a car and is choking on blood but hasn't died yet. It's a pitful sound that is sure to bring in a coyote looking for an easy meal.

https://voca.ro/1j90a4CMiAgK

That dog sounds AWFUL........ It probably oughta work well on a hungry 'yote. Yep.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
That dog sounds AWFUL........ It probably oughta work well on a hungry 'yote. Yep.

I know, right? It sounds so pitiful, it makes me want to cry. Whoever made those sounds is either a heartless individual for letting a dog suffer and not putting a bullet to it, or extremely talented at imitating a puppy getting stomped.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/05/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
1). One is a predator/mammal with a bigger brain the other is a bird with a brain no bigger than a pecan with the mental capability of glOck head or yOderboy....

2). The coyote requires full camo and you have to play the winds....he has two defense systems his nose and his vision. The turkey only has one defense system his eyes.

3) You can't hunt the same farm for days on end and kill coyotes with turkeys you can.

4)Turkey hunting doesn't require full camo and the wind isn't involved.....

5) Both require skill to hunt if you don't use a blind or decoys.

6) I've hunted both successfully for years......for close to 50 years.

1). True.

2). Wrong. Hell, Gerry Blair called and killed coyotes in a Santa Claus suit to prove that camo wasn't necessary. Deer hunters in blaze orange have close encounters with coyotes all the time. I have lip squeaked a chit load of coyotes during deer season with a blaze orange jacket and hat on. Lots of guys wear Carhartt clothes that are so worn that they are nearly white. Movement on the stand is what spooks coyotes. You simply can't get away with much fidgeting around while on a calling stand. The same as old gobblers, right?

2A). Coyotes and turkeys have hearing and can and do use that as a defensive tool. As a coyote hunter or turkey hunter with 50 years of experience I would have thought that you realize that is why you are making those noises on a call - hearing.

3). Only partially true. You can hunt a farm for a few days and end up being successful on coyotes. If you hunt the farm the first several days and there aren't any coyotes in that area at that time and then on the third day there is a coyote within hearing that coyote can and will come to the call. He has no reason not to, he wasn't around the first several days and has no idea you were there as long as you watched your approaches and didn't scatter scent all over the place. And depending upon how much human activity the farm has that may not be as big of a deal as you think it is.

3A) And the flip side of that is that it is entirely possible to over hunt an area and burn it out if you are bumping and spooking coyotes and over calling.

4) We have covered this - asked and answered.

5) Surely.

6) If you say so. But I'd say you have a bit to learn about the predator side of things yet.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If Gerry Blair is your herO you.need help....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.