Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That is a nice maybe unattainable buff today but probably less of a trophy back then.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn cool!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by swiftshot
That is a nice maybe unattainable buff today but probably less of a trophy back then.

That Buffalo once was on the wall in his law office, it is a beautiful mount.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
And modern hunters will find it hard to believe he shot a leopard with an iron sighted rifle

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper

Do you know what it measured?

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by pacecars
And modern hunters will find it hard to believe he shot a leopard with an iron sighted rifle

Hunting is a game that is not played well if there is no risk to both participants.

An interesting book that many of my septuagenarian compadres may have read from the Outdoor Life Book Club titled, A SPORTING CHANCE: Unusual methods of hunting by Daniel Pratt Mannix. It was published in the mid 1960s (I still have my copy) and I know my friend had it in his outdoor sporting library. I also know he was a TR fan and I suspect if Art Savage had an African caliber with a straight walled case in the Model 99 that was readily available he may have gone that route, but, I cannot say for certain. I do know he was target fixated on taking a lever action to Africa and I do not believe that he ever considered anything else. But when he found an advertisement for the Winchester 1895 take-down model in .405 WCF in the SHOTGUN NEWS years ago the die was cast and the ammunition search was on. So while big game hunting in Africa was the goal there were many other hunts going on in preparation for the trip.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Do you know what it measured?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I do not know if it was ever measured, but, I will call his brother who also hunts and may know if it was measured and any details about it. I will report back here either way.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
A text message received this morning from his brother indicates no knowledge or information of the Cape Buffalo measurements.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.