Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Here are a few original photographs that I digitized by scanning them nearly 20 years ago now. They are pictures of my friend that went to Africa after he went to law school in Washington State. Look closely, he took that Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Leopard as well as other African animals with a Winchester Model 1895 take-down model in TR's favorite Big Medicine .405 WCF. He once told me back in the 1990s that he acquired the rifle, round trip tickets to Africa, hunting licenses, taxidermy for several large animal and shipping back to the USA for under $10,000 USD. Of course it was a different time back then and he grew up reading George Leonard Herter's Book, The Truth About Today's Hunting in Africa and How to Go On Safari for $690.

He said the toughest part of going was ammunition. Getting brass, loading information with current powders as well as solid bullets were not readily available. A letter to Fred Barnes got sample bullets and a letter in Fred's hand of his recommended loading data. Reloading was pretty much the only way.

The PH told him it was the first lever action in Africa since Theodore and Kermit were there in 1909/1910.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds[/img]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds

Last edited by Hairy_Clipper; 08/05/22.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow. That’s awesome. Thx for sharing.

Does your friend still hunt? Did he ever go back to hunt there again?

Ben

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow, if we could only turn back time.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Benbo
Wow. That’s awesome. Thx for sharing.

Does your friend still hunt? Did he ever go back to hunt there again?

Ben

Sadly he passed away over a decade ago and it was his only trip there. Near 6'10" tall, the animals seem dwarfed next to him. I have more photographs from his trip and if I ever figure out how to retrieve those from my formerly working Pentium 4 computer I will post more.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Biebs
Wow, if we could only turn back time.

If you look closely at the elephant photograph you can see the optional peep sight that mounts on the top of the rear part of the bolt of the 1895.

$10K went a lot farther back then.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Over the top cool!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a great post!

Thank you.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Before he decided to get the Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF he had Marlin lever action rifles in .444 and .45/70. He concluded the cartridges couldn't develop enough energy and be safe in those rifles. Solid bullets were available in .45, but, not available in .444. For those that will wonder, the rifles did not come apart during his experiments developing loads for the Marlins, although extraction did get a bit sticky at times.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great story and an African "classic" rifle/cartridge. I say that due primarily to the T. Roosevelt and his son Kermit's trip and use there.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Deceased buddy's Dad went to Africa in 1980 and spent a year there hunting, killing everything but an elephant, He smuggled his Rhino mount back into Tx through Mexico. The ranch house is full of mounts, some were stolen from the house he had here in Corpus back in the early 90s though.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's very cool. I hope the rifle is still in good hands and in working order.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by M3taco
Great story and an African "classic" rifle/cartridge. I say that due primarily to the T. Roosevelt and his son Kermit's trip and use there.

TR's book, African Game Trails, introduced him & myself to that rifle/cartridge combination. Thankfully, Hornady made some .405 ammo to supply the demand of the reproduction rifles that Winchester was selling. I remember trying to size some brass that he got from a maker in Australia back in the 1990s that was not drawn but turned if I remember correctly, the wall thickness of those cases were very thick and I could not force them through a sizing die screwed into my RCBS Rocker Press with an extra long handle on it. The Hornady brass went through the sizing die without a problem.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
AKwolverine,

Thank you for getting the photographs to show in the thread without needing to click the link. I am getting to an age where I am starting to think I won't live long enough to figure out how to do it right!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by tjm10025
That's very cool. I hope the rifle is still in good hands and in working order.
It is in both cases.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari
This is a great post!

Thank you.

I thought there might be a few of you fellows that might appreciate a little African hunting history. I am glad you are enjoying it!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My Deceased buddy's Dad went to Africa in 1980 and spent a year there hunting, killing everything but an elephant, He smuggled his Rhino mount back into Tx through Mexico. The ranch house is full of mounts, some were stolen from the house he had here in Corpus back in the early 90s though.

Too, bad about the mounts being stolen. W.D.M. Bell's, The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter and his predecessor, F.C. Selous', A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa should be required reading for anyone going to Africa to hunt with camera or gun. When reading Selous' account make notes when he talks of how many days he traveled without water ... a tough fellow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.