Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Ringman you have yourself a lazer beam.......

Ballistic coefficient G7 of 211. 300 yard zero with mid-range of 3" and only 4" down at 350 yards.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
I was firing Hammer Hunter 131 grainers at 3700 from the 26" barrel. I settled on 96 grains of Retumbo. Lord willing I'll try different primers to discover its favorite. I'm hoping for 1" three shot groups at 300yards.

Ringman
Specs on what ever that rifle is please?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
So, .211 G7 BC. That's the 7mm bullet, not the .264 that I talked about earlier. I ran the numbers through JBM.

They go to 5.5 MIL at 1000 yards. So just a tad over a half twist of the MIL elevation turret on the March to go from 0 to 1000 yards. Easy peasy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Ballistic coefficient G7 of 211. 300 yard zero with mid-range of 3" and only 4" down at 350 yards.
I’d rethink that 300 yard zero. With scopes that dial and good holdover reticles these days, there’s no reason. You are just working potential problems into your system. No human can shoot as well at 300 as you can at 100. Zero at 100, where you can see the very center of the X ring and aim precisely. And where environmentals will have much less of an impact. Then cut your dope off that 100 yd zero and just dial up to 300 (if that’s what you’d otherwise want your zero to be) and leave it there while you are out in the field hunting. Or 200. Or whatever. In any case, zero at 100 for precisions sake.

You have a very capable long range scope. Zeroing at 300 is an old way of thinking from back when we wanted to maximize our point blank range.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/05/22.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Seefire
Sir, just looking through each Willy nilly or has there been some sort of in depth side by side testing and comparison?

Seafire, I have a military chart at 127 yd on the pump house and a 12 or 13" deer antler at a 131 yd which is in the woods. The scopes I've mentioned were compared side-by-side on various magnifications and in low light to see which one would last after sunset and for how long.

My avatar is a photo of the chart. It's about a foot square.

Interest, never seen that before. What does the chart denote?

It ain’t easy
IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sir, just looking through each Willy nilly or has there been some sort of in depth side by side testing and comparison?

Seafire, I have a military chart at 127 yd on the pump house and a 12 or 13" deer antler at a 131 yd which is in the woods. The scopes I've mentioned were compared side-by-side on various magnifications and in low light to see which one would last after sunset and for how long.

I don't understand the question. It has smaller and smaller groups of lines so one can easily discover one optic set on the same magnification as another is or is not better.

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

I’d rethink that 300 yard zero. With scopes that dial and good holdover reticles these days, there’s no reason. You are just working potential problems into your system. No human can shoot as well at 300 as you can at 100. Zero at 100, where you can see the very center of the X ring and aim precisely. And where environmentals will have much less of an impact. Then cut your dope off that 100 yd zero and just dial up to 300 (if that’s what you’d otherwise want your zero to be) and leave it there while you are out in the field hunting. Or 200. Or whatever. In any case, zero at 100 for precisions sake.

You have a very capable long range scope. Zeroing at 300 is an old way of thinking from back when we wanted to maximize our point blank range.

Just my thoughts.

Okay, you made a sale. The reticle is pretty much a cross-hair. There is a thick post below the center and thick sides out from the center. I will check their distance on 10X or 12X.

The other day I fired at a gong about 590 yards away. A range friend was watching to see if I hit. There was no dust ANYWHERE around. How many clicks should I have moved the turret to go up approximately 30"?

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I was firing Hammer Hunter 131 grainers at 3700 from the 26" barrel. I settled on 96 grains of Retumbo. Lord willing I'll try different primers to discover its favorite. I'm hoping for 1" three shot groups at 300yards.

Ringman
Specs on what ever that rifle is please?

dave

I will post some info on "wildcats". It will be 7-.338RUM.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

I don't understand the question. It has smaller and smaller groups of lines so one can easily discover one optic set on the same magnification as another is or is not better.

I thought perhaps the lines had significance. From your description it’s just a focal point to compare and contrast two optics against. Sounds a little subjective.

It ain’t easy
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Just my thoughts.

Okay, you made a sale. The reticle is pretty much a cross-hair. There is a thick post below the center and thick sides out from the center. I will check their distance on 10X or 12X.

The other day I fired at a gong about 590 yards away. A range friend was watching to see if I hit. There was no dust ANYWHERE around. How many clicks should I have moved the turret to go up approximately 30"?

Well, first stop thinking in inches and train yourself to think in moa, since you have an moa scope.

To answer your question though, somewhere around 5 moa or 20 ish clicks. Of course there are a lot of unknown variables. A ballistics app downloaded on your phone will prove useful.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/06/22.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now next question, why not a higher BC heavier bullet? Gain some advantage to all that powder. The days of “flat shooting” are also outdated, imo. Wh ycare about flat shooting and extending your mpbr when we have rangefinders, ballistics aps and scopes that dial?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/06/22.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
SDHNTR,

The scope is in mills. I normally think in MOA. This mill thing will be OK once I get a handle on it.

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought perhaps the lines had significance. From your description it’s just a focal point to compare and contrast two optics against. Sounds a little subjective.

When one has two optics side-by-side it's becomes quite obvious if one is better than the other.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SDHNTR,

The scope is in mills. I normally think in MOA. This mill thing will be OK once I get a handle on it.
Oh, sorry I misread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, meters. Technically, you are absolutely correct. I was trying to dumb it down as much as possible.
👍

I know you know. Just wanted to make sure it was clear for others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, can't hardly believe if you spend 3X you wind up with a better optic.

...Color me shocked that anything could knock the ol' 6500 outta the top spot though. Proud of your growth Ringmam!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Rich,

just to let you know.. who ever this SEEfire person is... its NOT me... SEAfire

great I now have a wannabe troll....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the heads up. I just noticed the change in spelling. I think I'll put him on ignore and then I won't be confused since I'm old and simple minded now.

Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
267 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.