Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wanting a new upper. Pros or cons for both?

ARIC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Grendel seems more common. That said when I burn up all the factory ammo I have stashed. It will probably turn into a 6ARC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two 6.8s, like the cartridge. But given availability of components and ammo, I'd have to recommend looking at the 6.5 Grendel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had both, kept the Grendel because there was cheap blasting steel case ammo for it. Now I am on to the 350 Legend and next the 300 Ham'r.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the 6.8 in an AR, and the Grendel in a bolt rifle. My Bison Armory barreled 6.8 SPC is more accurate by far than the Grendel in Howa Mini. Having said that, I shoot the Grendel more because I prefer hunting with a bolt rfile.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an 18" Bison Armory barrel, when I tried it out, I smiled.

I also have one with an ARP mower axle, it shoots good, too!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have the 6.8 in an AR, and the Grendel in a bolt rifle. My Bison Armory barreled 6.8 SPC is more accurate by far than the Grendel in Howa Mini. Having said that, I shoot the Grendel more because I prefer hunting with a bolt rfile.
What bolt rifle do you have? Does it come in left hand? I've shot my neighbor's AR in 6.5 Grendel, it is impressive on tough hogs, good to 300+ yards with 120 grain bullets, and best of all low on recoil. I need a LH bolt gun for my grand daughter. After she made a perfect double lung shot with a .223 on a 189 pound 8 point this year the buck made a good 100 yard run and didn't lose a drop of blood on the ground. She is decisively left hand and left eye dominant.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My stepson hunted with my CZ 527 Chambered in 6.5 Grendel last fall with factory Hornady 123 SST ammo. I think they may have made a left handed model but I’m not sure. I’m a lefty but was lucky enough to be right eye dominant and was taught to shoot right handed. I really like that little rifle and bullet performance was excellent.

Happy Birthday!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
More high BC bullets in 6.5

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Grendel...

I own one, and have no reason for a 6.8 SPC.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a left hand Stag in 6.8, 2 uppers, one a 20 inch barrel and just picked up a complete upper with a 16 inch barrel. Both are very accurate with the 20 being the most most accurate. Both the Grendel and 6.8 are 300-325 yard guns on medium game. There probably isn't a knat's worth of difference between them in those ranges. The 6.5 bullets have better BC's and as such would perform somewhat better over 500 yards. I rarely shoot that far.

So that said, I have a 6.8 and no need for a Grendel.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
What bolt rifle do you have? Does it come in left hand? I've shot my neighbor's AR in 6.5 Grendel, it is impressive on tough hogs, good to 300+ yards with 120 grain bullets, and best of all low on recoil. I need a LH bolt gun for my grand daughter. After she made a perfect double lung shot with a .223 on a 189 pound 8 point this year the buck made a good 100 yard run and didn't lose a drop of blood on the ground. She is decisively left hand and left eye dominant.

Hastings, my 6.5 Grendel is a Howa Mini. I don't know of any LH bolt rifles chambered for the Grendel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I really don't see any difference between the 2 cartridges, as neither one are really designed to be what I call long range ones. While the 6.5 bullets do have a better BC, and offer more choices, I'm not going to be shooting either at ranges over 300 yards on game. I've shot both a lot on paper and steel out to 400 yards, and they just start running out of steam too much for my liking when you shoot that far.

They are both good for what they were designed for, and that's a under 300 yard cartridge with no recoil, that delivers better performance than a 223. I have killed deer and coyotes with the 6.8, using the 110 grain Sierra bullet, and it performed very well. I've yet to use the Grendel on anything but paper, steel, and a crow, but plan on deer hunting with it this fall.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am quickly becoming a 6.5 Grendel fan. After seeing the results that a family member was having with his down in the SC lowcountry on deer, pigs and coyotes I wanted to try one. I did shoot his PSA 20-inch rifle at our local range out to 300 yards, and it delivered pretty respectable groups with Hornady AMAX and Black factory ammunition (.75-1.25 @ 100 yards) and his hand load with 120 gr. NBT was just over 0.5 for 5 shots. The only modifications to the stock rifle were a Trigger Tech trigger and the gas block was adjusted.

Since I already support 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor rifles I had 6.5 bullets on the bench and small rifle primers in inventory, so I took the 6.5 Grendel plunge.

I started with a PSA 20-inch upper that I put on an RRA NM lower that was gathering dust, mounted a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 and went shooting. The gas block was adjusted, and I later put a finial polish on the chamber. Very happy with the results; still shooting factory Hornady through it and other than one groundhog and a coyote it's been punching paper.

It has led to a Howa Mini that I put into a B&C stock, bedded it with DEVCON and changed out the bottom plastic to bottom metal; it shoots rather well, and I want to deer hunt with it this fall.

The last 6.5 Grendel purchased was a LaRue complete upper w/ an 18-inch barrel that has only been test fired so far and it looks to be a well thought out and put together upper.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, I went with the 6.5 Grendel.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Another thought you can make 6.5 Grendel brass a few different ways. Is there anything out there to easily form 6.8?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Better bullet selection in 6.5mm, easy choice

Either will serve your purpose though, but the Grendel will be around and have greater quantity of parts available

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ldholton
More high BC bullets in 6.5

True!

Jump to the 6mm ARC we go on to improve both Velocity & BC again. If you are looking for a large variety of factory ammo including some inexpensive steel case ammo 6mm Arc is not there, at leas not yet. Though if you are considering long distance 400 to 1000 yards for example, you may find the applicable 6mm ARC bullets speak loudly to an advantage in the field. ARC has been out there for roughly 2 years now & doing quite well despite the market conditions IMHO.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
That can happen with any of the rounds. I've shot more than a few with 6/6.8 and Grendel that have left no blood. have shot plenty with 223 that leave lots.
Sample of one I suspect.
I know its tough to find deer that run 100 yards at times, but it can happen.

Good luck with the ongoing search though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.8 fan here.
Got the Ruger "Ranch" in 6.8. Deer, pigs, 'yotes and 1 turkey. Love it!
At the time I got the Ruger, nobody made any more than a 5 round mag.
So I built an AR.
It's a shooting, killing dude!
A set of RCBS "SB" dies solve the ammo problem.

They are pretty simular. From what I read, the 6.5 really shines out beyond 300 yards.
I won't (don't?) shoot that far and the 6.8 totes the mail under 300.

I gave up suggesting "which is better" long ago.
Go with what suits your fancy.
I like the 6.8.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
From what I read, the 6.5 really shines out beyond 300 yards.

Not to start an argument, but if I want a rifle for shooting over 300 yards, it's not going to be the Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are both fine cartridges, for what they were designed for, and IMO long range use is not that. There are far better choices for shooting at long range, and my preference is to use such cartridges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 80 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.