Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any word on how these perform on elk?

BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m sure they are good, stupid name, why not tipped GameKing?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use them.
I used them on 3 deer; I know deer are not elk, just seeing how the preformed on those deer gave me the confidence i need to use them on an elk.
Like with anything, bullet, caliber of your rifle, the shot. Put the bullet in the right spot.
There will always be a better bullet out there somewhere.

Hunt with confidence, with what you have.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco

In component form, after initially marketing them as "GameChanger" bullets they are now called "Tipped GameKing" (TGK) bullets.

Loaded ammo with the Tipped GameKing (TGK) is called "GameChanger" ammunition.

Not at all confusing... crazy

Aside from their marketing debacle, I'd not hesitate to use the TGK (Tipped GameKing) on elk.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Brad

In component form, after initially marketing them as "GameChanger" bullets they are now called "Tipped GameKing" (TGK) bullets.

Loaded ammo with the Tipped GameKing (TGK) is called "GameChanger" ammunition.

Not at all confusing... crazy

Aside from their marketing debacle, I'd not hesitate to use the TGK (Tipped GameKing) on elk.

Thank you. Didn’t know that, like 150 GameKings in 308’s, would like to try the tipped version. I haven’t seen them for sale.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you. Didn’t know that, like 150 GameKings in 308’s, would like to try the tipped version. I haven’t seen them for sale.

I have a couple boxes of the 308/165 Tipped GameKing (GameChanger) bullets. They weren't as accurate as the regular 165 GameKing in my rifles, so I stuck with those for my elk hunting over the last couple of years. However, the Tipped GameKing is a much tougher bullet than the regular GameKing. I used the regular 165 GameKing on an old bull last year, so can only assume the tougher tipped version would be even better.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I sincerely hope that they are far better than the 300 (.375 H&H) grain GameKings I used in the mid ‘80’s. They completely disintegrated on every game animal that I shot with them! They wouldn’t even exit a Mule Deer on a broadside shot?

They may be immensely better now……though, I will never attempt to use them again!

That said….they were accurate and performed quite well on Prairie Dogs and Jack Rabbits! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by memtb
I sincerely hope that they are far better than the 300 (.375 H&H) grain GameKings I used in the mid ‘80’s. They completely disintegrated on every game animal that I shot with them! They wouldn’t even exit a Mule Deer on a broadside shot?

They may be immensely better now……though, I will never attempt to use them again!

That said….they were accurate and performed quite well on Prairie Dogs and Jack Rabbits! memtb
Totally different bullet than 1980’s Gamekings. In my neck of the woods they carried the same reputation as the first Ballistic Tip bullets….highly frangible, spew their cores, blow up on shoulders, etc. Gamechangers appear to be a little more “solid” like many present day BT’s…..tougher. I’ve shot deer and pronghorn with them and all, without exception, have died quick deaths. Pronghorn shot with it tended to icepick (little hole in and out) but they died much faster than pronghorns shot with VLD’s in my personal experience. On deer, they behaved pretty much exactly like a corresponding BT of the same caliber and weight. I have a few rifles that don’t care for BT’s but they love Gamechangers for what it’s worth.

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/06/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Totally different bullet than 1980’s Gamekings. In my neck of the woods they carried the same reputation as the first Ballistic Tip bullets….highly frangible, spew their cores, blow up on shoulders, etc. Gamechangers appear to be a little more “solid” like many present day BT’s…..tougher. I’ve shot deer and pronghorn with them and all, without exception, have died quick deaths. Pronghorn shot with it tended to icepick (little hole in and out) but they died much faster than pronghorns shot with VLD’s in my personal experience. On deer, they behaved pretty much exactly like a corresponding BT of the same caliber and weight. I have a few rifles that don’t care for BT’s but they love Gamechangers for what it’s worth.

I’ve heard that for some while now, and I even mentioned that I hope they are improved……personally, I’ll never know for sure. I have bullets that worked great for me in the early ‘90’s, and have improved vastly since then. My chosen bullet has proven to work on everything from Fox/coyotes to moose out to ranges beyond where I’m comfortable shooting!

One rifle, one cartridge, one zero, and one load combination for everything……the KISS system alive and well! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/06/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've shot 3 elk with the 165-.284 version, along with several deer. Elk harvested ranged from 80 yards to 380. Recovered the bullet from the farthest elk. If memory serves it weighed around 110 grains. I really like the bullet so far. From my limited experience i'd say a bit tougher than the 162 eld x which is the only other c/c .284 I've used in recent years out of the rifle. I really like them so far.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I’ve heard that for some while now, and I even mentioned that I hope they are improved……personally, I’ll never know for sure. I have bullets that worked great for me in the early ‘90’s, and have improved vastly since then. My chosen bullet has proven to work on everything from Fox/coyotes to moose out to ranges beyond where I’m comfortable shooting!

One rifle, one cartridge, one zero, and one load combination for everything……the KISS system alive and well! 😉 memtb

Amen to that.

My only caveat is having to use mono-copper in the Soviet Provinces.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion there are so many excellent bullets available I refuse to use standard cup-and-core bullets on elk other than in my low velocity lever and hand guns. By "excellent", I mean bullets that provide a high degree of accuracy, hold together after impact near and far, and provide controlled and limited expansion for deep penetration. My choices are, in no particular order, Barnes TTSX, Nosler AB and ABLR, North Fork SS, Swift Scirocco II, Federal Terminal Ascent and similar.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Ive recently tried the gamechanger ammo in 3 rifles and found it to be the most accurate factory load in all 3. Finally took one of those rifles hunting this spring. Its just a sample size of 1, and i know a bears not an elk. But 1 round of the .308 gamechanger knocked down this good boar with no tracking required. Ill be using this ammo in my 3 main bolt actions now, hoping to increase the sample size of field results this fall / winter.

[Linked Image from pic8.co]

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No kills with mine yet but
130s shoots lights out in my 6.5 CM
Just bought 500 of 140gr for my 270 and most likely I’ll get 165 or 180 for my 308, 30/06
Best bang for the buck IMHO

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a whitetail with the 130 TGK out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. It performed well.

I've killed a whitetail with the 165 gr TGK out of a .308 and it also performed well.

I have a 6.5 PRC load worked up that I'll be using this season. I believe it is running around 3100 fps. I'm sure it will perform similarly well. I do wish there were greater bullet weights available. So far, I wouldn't hesitate to try them on elk, but I've used Accubonds in the past and have plenty available.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice Bear!

H
H
Have used both the .308 (30-06) and .284 (7x64 Brenneke)165gr versions on plains game from Springbok to Zebra in size and impact distances from 80 to 450 metres. Both versions have performed very well - IMO they are much tougher than conventional Gamekings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 130's out of a couple of me and my boy's 260's (Creed minus the gay) have been perfect on speedgoats, deer, bear and elk distances near to far. Most have exited with a couple mushroomed beautifully under far hide. Hope they develop heavies for big 7's/30's in the future

100% Public land DIY!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.