Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pharmaseller and a few others have mentioned considering doing this.

Advice:
Before you sign the bottom line, check, check and then recheck to verify what insurers are available to you and at what costs.

There’s an ongoing list of insurance company failures and a larger list of insurers pulling out of the Gulf Coast areas from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Cousin and I recently bought another camp down Breton Sound, Shell Beach way for fishing and duck hunting. This camp is actually a modified condo/boathouse arrangement that survived Hurricane Ida very well with little damages. For insurance, we’re going with liability only because it was a cash deal.

Just advice and is one of the several deciding reasons that I relocated on up Interstate 55 a good ways for residence.

Maybe other Gulf Coast residents can chime in here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bright bulb in the package there. I'm sorry for those that experience flooding for the first time, but not their second go around.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1minute
A bright bulb in the package there. I'm sorry for those that experience flooding for the first time, but not their second go around.

And again and again,,,,

Lloyd’s of London will write a policy for you. Major deductibles amounts with a annual cost of a % of total value insured for the property with exclusions.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
You bought a bathhouse. You and your cousin are monkey poxers. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Pharmaseller and a few others have mentioned considering doing this.

Advice:
Before you sign the bottom line, check, check and then recheck to verify what insurers are available to you and at what costs.

There’s an ongoing list of insurance company failures and a larger list of insurers pulling out of the Gulf Coast areas from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

I've heard that also...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Texas is also subject to coastal hurricanes.
The skyline in Rockport changed just a few years ago and there are many empty lots where homes or small buildings once stood.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mexico Beach is booming again in Florida after hurricane Michael completely destroyed it a few years ago. The real estate values are extremely high along with property taxes and insurance. I don't know what the he'll people are thinking.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have worked in the gulf my whole working life. I wouldn't buy anything right on the coast. I have seen so much devastation. I would rent something on occasion if I wanted to stay there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I built numerous houses in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.

Every house I ever built south of a small canal [forget the name] was completely gone after Katrina. All brick homes on concrete slabs.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have worked in the gulf my whole working life. I wouldn't buy anything right on the coast. I have seen so much devastation. I would rent something on occasion if I wanted to stay there.

That. Lots of rental properties on the coast

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bil is just finished building his retirement home on Padre Island!
SMDH!

Can't wait to see what happens with the first hurricane!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "Gulf Coast" is a fairly big place, in geographic terms.

But yeah, insurance is higher than giraffe pussy.

So is opportunity.

I'm pretty sure that Musk dude didn't settle where he did for the fall foliage and free camping.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, we’re not looking at buying in the hurricane zones anymore.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I survived Hurricane Katrina and that was enough for me. I have a BIL and SIL near Naples, FL and they were unable to get homeowners for several years until just recently. Luckily they didn’t have a mortgage on their place. The wife and I are looking at retiring to FL in about 15 years, but I want inland a little bit.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lots of dumbasses have moved to Gulf Coast! They ain’t there anymore!! Ron White can tell you about hurricanes!! Lol

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Yeah, we’re not looking at buying in the hurricane zones anymore.

Wise.

The camp that Cuz and I bought is constructed with 2x6 wall studs and 2x8 rafters, all wood to wood connectors are in metal brackets. The Generac is 15’ high on 3x6 treated timbers facing the north side.

It has a shingle roof topped with a metal roof, all low profile. It sits between 2 ancient live oak trees. 500 gallon propane tank buried.

We feel pretty safe with it as is but we’ll still need to pull the boat out and on up Country.

The only damage from Hurricane Ida was to some metal roofing that was hit hard by something airborne. Otherwise all good. So,,,let it blow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
We still need a base of operations, maybe Florida inland a bit, but definitely a state with no income tax. We’ll rent as we explore. Need a spot for the boat, though.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
We still need a base of operations, maybe Florida inland a bit, but definitely a state with no income tax. We’ll rent as we explore. Need a spot for the boat, though.

Inland Florida is mighty fine. You should be able to find a boat slip rental with a lift and an attached lockable storage room. That makes trips a lot easier. Most places like that also have a nice area for cleaning your fish and fresh water wash down and flush for your rig.

Let us know what you come up with and good luck with the search.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.